The Mobile Shop Employee Review

View all The Mobile Shop reviews

Cliques, Favoritism, Can't stand behind policy & baby-ing.
Mobilist (Former Employee) –  Western Canada15 June 2019
The Mobile Shop location I worked at was overall good, the Manager was younger and very understanding of lifes ups and downs and was great with working out time off and working with you to get things done.

The company as a whole however is run very poorly.
I've worked at other cellular retail stores and while most are greedy and usually poorly managed, this was something else.

First off, there are huge cliques and favoritism amoung the management and higher ups, if you were disliked or store manager was disliked then you were not safe, you could be let go at any time, but if you were liked then you would be safe and could mess up multiple times with no real reprecussions.

They also can't stand behind policy, I've learned if you whine and cry enough, they will cave into you, whether its PC Points or Device related, they wont hold there ground on policy for long, want to return a damaged phone? Hand it to the emplyee working and when they hand it back and say "no its damaged" just say they damaged it, and boom, return approved, doesnt matter if that policy is stated on there receipts and contracts, they'll immediately cave in and let you have what you want.

They also baby, they have forms you need to send for approval to the DM or Head Office for things like Prepaid to Postpaid migrations and Multi-line activations, forcing the customer to wait until someone approves it, or denies it. No other Cellular retailer has this practice and does just fine, these forms are put in place due to people misusing migration offers, well, disicpline those people, fire them, rather
  more... than punish everyone with a mundane and idiotic process.

Overall, boring job, way to stressful for what its worth, though decent commission if you're good, but is that worth your mental well being? Up to you.

Also, like most retailers, the head office has an awful understanding of different regions demographics, expecting each and every store to do what the top stores do without considering any other factors.

Also bring back Mobile Experts, Mobilist sounds like I hate Disabled people.
Pros
Decent Commission payouts, good hours (with a good manager)
Cons
Can be boring, fundamental misunderstanding of demographics, treat you like a child

Other The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

Poor HR recruitment, horrible onboarding experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON16 July 2019
This company, took about one month and half to make a decision to hire or not.

I was recruited by someone who was in HR. I went to the scheduled interview, did very well and was told I was hired by the manager who interviewed me. HR needed some background information done. I had filled it and waited to hear back. I had some prior conviction but nothing that couldn't be overlooked through my previous Sales experience and I had a job in the same industry. The HR recruiter had given me the runaround for about a month and asked me to get a police record check done and I had followed instructions. Meanwhile they had sent me documents declaring I was temporarily hired. After waiting to receive the police report and paying from my pocket. The recruiter had told me it wouldn't be a problem and they were just waiting for the documents to be recieved. The week I had received them, she emailed saying she had left the company and I was now dealing with someone else who was reviewing by case. By the end of it, they had wasted my time and rejected me based on a DUI conviction and Failure to appear. Meanwhile, thinking I was hired because that's what the first recruiter made it seem to be. Overall I felt lead on, and extremely disappointed for the time wasted going back and forth. I never seen an onboarding process so unorganized and unprofessional. Well thats my split milk.
Seemed nice at first.
Mobilist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 July 2019
Shady and manipulative management. Had my bonuses stripped because targets were changed at the end of the month. Said they'd give training, no training ever received. Claimed to offer benefits, no benefits at all. Manager will undermine and insult you when speaking to customers.
Pros
Cellphone discount
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mobile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.