The Mobile Shop Employee Review

View all The Mobile Shop reviews

Great culture, good commission structure
Mobile Expert, Assistant / Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 May 2018
This job experience will vary vastly on your direct superior and the location you're working in (income, competition, reception, etc). Low-income stores will be more difficult to make sales in, but consequently will have lower volume targets. The wrong manager can be a curse - my store more than doubled our volume when my first manager was replaced. To mitigate that you should make friends with people all around your district and ask for their input, suggestions, etc if your mgr isn't helpful, or if you're struggling with a specific problem.

The vast majority of the company are friendly, open to suggestions and encourage creativity to bring in clients and achieve targets. If you take initiative and have a good attitude, your coworkers across the district and company will notice. People will send you a phone from across the country, even if they've never talked to you before. I've found some stores that go AGAINST policy to help you out when you need it. If I had a procedure problem or needed advice I could call anyone in my district for help. Take advantage of this!

The biggest hurdle is getting comfortable with activation and selling; once you're comfortable with your clients and the system you have the chance to really make money. Encouraging strangers to buy from you is really uncomfortable at first but will become second nature if you work at it. Understand that sales is a numbers game and you won't get every client.

Some targets made no sense (much of the MSA program is supposed to be followed to a T; I was much more creative with it and found that worked better).
  more...

Conference calls were annoying as heck. Depending on the district these happen 3+ times a week at least and early in the morning (for managers). I hated them.

Company incentives were awesome, including a $250 - $1000 referral bonus, company trip for top sellers (which is great), brand spiffs and contests,sports tickets with your team, and great commission structure.

Their benefits package is based on hitting a minimum sales target, which is a hurdle but certainly doable at full-time status. Even in one of the slowest locations the team well exceeded it.

Met executives / CEO and they were also very friendly. TMS seems to genuinely care about their employees and balance that with the business side of things.

I would argue it's hard to advance past a Manager or Territory Manager position. I know several employees who left due to not being promoted when they should have certainly been qualified. However a good TM or manager will make amazing bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Contests + Incentives, Brand Knowledge, Company Culture
Cons
Raising targets, non-receptive clients, targets for

Other The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

Cliques, Favoritism, Can't stand behind policy & baby-ing.
Mobilist (Former Employee) –  Western Canada15 June 2019
The Mobile Shop location I worked at was overall good, the Manager was younger and very understanding of lifes ups and downs and was great with working out time off and working with you to get things done.

The company as a whole however is run very poorly.
I've worked at other cellular retail stores and while most are greedy and usually poorly managed, this was something else.

First off, there are huge cliques and favoritism amoung the management and higher ups, if you were disliked or store manager was disliked then you were not safe, you could be let go at any time, but if you were liked then you would be safe and could mess up multiple times with no real reprecussions.

They also can't stand behind policy, I've learned if you whine and cry enough, they will cave into you, whether its PC Points or Device related, they wont hold there ground on policy for long, want to return a damaged phone? Hand it to the emplyee working and when they hand it back and say "no its damaged" just say they damaged it, and boom, return approved, doesnt matter if that policy is stated on there receipts and contracts, they'll immediately cave in and let you have what you want.

They also baby, they have forms you need to send for approval to the DM or Head Office for things like Prepaid to Postpaid migrations and Multi-line activations, forcing the customer to wait until someone approves it, or denies it. No other Cellular retailer has this practice and does just fine, these forms are put in place due to people misusing migration offers, well, disicpline those people, fire them, rather
  more... than punish everyone with a mundane and idiotic process.

Overall, boring job, way to stressful for what its worth, though decent commission if you're good, but is that worth your mental well being? Up to you.

Also, like most retailers, the head office has an awful understanding of different regions demographics, expecting each and every store to do what the top stores do without considering any other factors.

Also bring back Mobile Experts, Mobilist sounds like I hate Disabled people.
Pros
Decent Commission payouts, good hours (with a good manager)
Cons
Can be boring, fundamental misunderstanding of demographics, treat you like a child
Worst place to work
Mobile expert (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2019
Worst place to work full of favouritism
Managers treat you like animals and set unnecessary unreal targets nothing but a disappointment.not a good place to work at would never recommend to any one
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mobile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.