The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

Fun and rewarding place to work. Good customer base
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON21 September 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. Everyday learning new products and working with multiple mobile companies. Working with the public and helping them to understand the mobile world was always interesting. Working for a leading company with the opportunity for growth and development was a rewarding experience.
Lacking Support
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
The Mobile shop has a sound business model however the upper management team lacks empathy and understanding of the front line workers. The overall support is lacking and there is a lot of politics and personal feelings and emotions in decision making process. Further the HR team has very little understanding common and acceptable HR practices.
Meh
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON2 September 2018
Spent most of my time trying to find things to do, such as cleaning the kiosk, and helping customers in the store find their groceries.

Very boring job.
Standing for your full shift.
Generic Minimum Wage Sales Job
Canadian Leader (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 August 2018
You make minimum wage but the opportunity for commission is (at least) present... maybe not amazing though.

This is a job that will pay you minimum wage.
Terrible Leadership Horrible Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Canada28 July 2018
When this company started it was all about your customer now it's all about getting the most profit out of a sale regardless on what you tell your customer. If you are new in this company you have a month to sell the most you can with little training they will turn and burn you as quick as they hired you. Job security which there isn't any don't waste your time go work for one of the main companies you will get treated better with more job security. Watch out for the drama in the districts it's like high school all over again favoritism is a big part with this company. Upper Managment Territory Managers and up will throw you under the bus to save there own back sides absolutely 0 loyalty in this company all they want is sales and profits. STAY AWAY ITS A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT AND A WAISTE OF YOUR TIME THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THEN MAKING MONEY.
Pros
Ok Money
Cons
Everything Else
SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2018
Nice management, cooperative.
Pay is good and according to your performance you gets reward and fun to work.
Good commission if you know hoe to work and how to do selling
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 June 2018
Mobile shop is a fun place to work and a great company to manage for, A lot of there manager are hired from within and they have a great incentive program. They don't pay managers as much as other company's but They give people with no management experience a shot at the same time
Pros
Lots of room to move up in the company, ( Not a company that says this and does not follow through) they actually promote within
Cons
Some locations are slow and its hard to make a good amount of commission at some locations
Not Great
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 May 2018
The way the sales work is not really suited for real life considering the store i worked at was mostly elderly people coming in, making it difficult to make sales. They expect you to go into the store and bother people while shopping about wireless details. If you didn't make sales for the day (not for lack or trying) the general manager would be really rude.The GM would often intimidate us and make our manager cry. The turn over rate is really high.
Great culture, good commission structure
Mobile Expert, Assistant / Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 May 2018
This job experience will vary vastly on your direct superior and the location you're working in (income, competition, reception, etc). Low-income stores will be more difficult to make sales in, but consequently will have lower volume targets. The wrong manager can be a curse - my store more than doubled our volume when my first manager was replaced. To mitigate that you should make friends with people all around your district and ask for their input, suggestions, etc if your mgr isn't helpful, or if you're struggling with a specific problem.

The vast majority of the company are friendly, open to suggestions and encourage creativity to bring in clients and achieve targets. If you take initiative and have a good attitude, your coworkers across the district and company will notice. People will send you a phone from across the country, even if they've never talked to you before. I've found some stores that go AGAINST policy to help you out when you need it. If I had a procedure problem or needed advice I could call anyone in my district for help. Take advantage of this!

The biggest hurdle is getting comfortable with activation and selling; once you're comfortable with your clients and the system you have the chance to really make money. Encouraging strangers to buy from you is really uncomfortable at first but will become second nature if you work at it. Understand that sales is a numbers game and you won't get every client.

Some targets made no sense (much of the MSA program is supposed to be followed to a T; I was much more creative with it and found that worked better).
  more...

Conference calls were annoying as heck. Depending on the district these happen 3+ times a week at least and early in the morning (for managers). I hated them.

Company incentives were awesome, including a $250 - $1000 referral bonus, company trip for top sellers (which is great), brand spiffs and contests,sports tickets with your team, and great commission structure.

Their benefits package is based on hitting a minimum sales target, which is a hurdle but certainly doable at full-time status. Even in one of the slowest locations the team well exceeded it.

Met executives / CEO and they were also very friendly. TMS seems to genuinely care about their employees and balance that with the business side of things.

I would argue it's hard to advance past a Manager or Territory Manager position. I know several employees who left due to not being promoted when they should have certainly been qualified. However a good TM or manager will make amazing bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Contests + Incentives, Brand Knowledge, Company Culture
Cons
Raising targets, non-receptive clients, targets for
Sounds good but isn't
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 March 2018
Constantly short staffed, don't get the support or training needed to succeed.
Promised things that are never given, including minimum requirements by law.
Change rules without telling anybody, best part of job was carrier sales reps.
Pros
Phone bill discount, carrier reps help
Cons
Unpredictable hours and staffing

Want to know more about The Mobile Shop?

Ask a question
Gaining confidence
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ON16 March 2018
This job allowed me to improve my public speaking skills with customers whenever I would interact with them. Made me gain more knowledge in the aspect of cell phones and carrier networks. The one thing I learned from this work is the importance of "customers for life" policy. It made me realize that it's easy to sell anything to a customer but implementing this policy allows you not only sell them what the want but to build trust with them.
Interesting when it is busy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 March 2018
Although there is the possibility of significant earning via commission, staff are limited by the market location. Rural locations tended to perform significantly better, thus more bonuses, due to being one of few mobile providers. Locations in the GTA struggled due to market saturation. Management provided many theoretical solutions but they ultimately fell flat due to a location's customer volume.
Pros
Commission
Cons
High turnover of part tiem staff
it was a learning experience
Lead Advisor (Manager) (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC8 March 2018
The Mobile Shop has changed - I remember working here and loving coming to work - until management lost touch with the field.
Days are spent meeting unreasonable targets, their "bonus system" is out of touch. Salaries are non-negotiable. It doesn't matter if you've worked 8 days straight, they're going to demand that you continue working. Sick - you're working. Surgery - you're working.
Members of their management will push you out - if you don't do things "their way" without being clear on what they want. In this role, you're truly a number - you have no value as a person - regardless of what you bring to the table.

Spending hours on conference calls - listening to a monotone voice drone on about an email that everyone had read was debilitating.

We were underpaid, overworked and under rewarded.
Pros
50% discount?
Cons
not valued, overworked, not a member of a team.
Poor company to work for
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Western Canada24 February 2018
Not a very good company to work for. Will treat long time employees completly disposable. The company is all about feat management and upper management absoultelty plays favorites. Constant staffing and upper management turnover.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for advancement
Cons
Everything else
Great opportunity
Mobile advisor, advised customers (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 February 2018
Great opportunity to learn a new trade of talents. Hours were long and slow, not a lot of customers due to the inadequate location. Boss was not a friendly woman to work for, one day promised myself some extra training...three days later fired me and I never received a reason why - however I did not require one because I was just under my 90 days of employment. I would not recommend this job to anyone, there is no security. Beside all of that, it was a good job and decent pay, goo opportunity to learn some skills with phones.
Pros
Managed own shifts
Cons
Unlawful termination
Wasn't a great work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS31 January 2018
My manager at the time was a bit of a stick in the mud that didn't have passion for his job, nor did he really seem to care about his employees. I was 6 months pregnant while i was working, and he wouldn't allow me to sit down. I had to go to the higher ups and of course was given approval.
Productive work area
customer support (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 January 2018
Getting work/sales done while having great conversations with clients/customers. Day to day excitement with bonuses and challenges from head office and management.
Company of Malpractices
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2018
Worked with them for a long time with no recognition.
No increment in pay. PC pts problems always for customers.
Unfair practices rampant across the company.

Top Management not interested. Favoritism.

Every department full of errors including the head office.

I will never recommend the mobile Shop to Anyone.
Pros
Always Available job
Cons
Stress, long hours, Highly unorganized
Ok place to work
Store Manager/ Mobile Expert (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 December 2017
good place to work and gain experience in the cellular industry, I had a good experience learning about the different carriers and how the industry worked.
Pros
Commision
no good
Assistant Manager / Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON31 October 2017
bad management no recognition no moving up no help harassment. unstable work place, harassmentbad management no recognition no moving up no help harassment. ON feet all day, baad customers, bad co workers, harassing DM, people get fired everyday. Never acknowledge for work done always insulted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mobile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.