The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

Not Great
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 May 2018
The way the sales work is not really suited for real life considering the store i worked at was mostly elderly people coming in, making it difficult to make sales. They expect you to go into the store and bother people while shopping about wireless details. If you didn't make sales for the day (not for lack or trying) the general manager would be really rude.The GM would often intimidate us and make our manager cry. The turn over rate is really high.
Great culture, good commission structure
Mobile Expert, Assistant / Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 May 2018
This job experience will vary vastly on your direct superior and the location you're working in (income, competition, reception, etc). Low-income stores will be more difficult to make sales in, but consequently will have lower volume targets. The wrong manager can be a curse - my store more than doubled our volume when my first manager was replaced. To mitigate that you should make friends with people all around your district and ask for their input, suggestions, etc if your mgr isn't helpful, or if you're struggling with a specific problem.

The vast majority of the company are friendly, open to suggestions and encourage creativity to bring in clients and achieve targets. If you take initiative and have a good attitude, your coworkers across the district and company will notice. People will send you a phone from across the country, even if they've never talked to you before. I've found some stores that go AGAINST policy to help you out when you need it. If I had a procedure problem or needed advice I could call anyone in my district for help. Take advantage of this!

The biggest hurdle is getting comfortable with activation and selling; once you're comfortable with your clients and the system you have the chance to really make money. Encouraging strangers to buy from you is really uncomfortable at first but will become second nature if you work at it. Understand that sales is a numbers game and you won't get every client.

Some targets made no sense (much of the MSA program is supposed to be followed to a T; I was much more creative with it and found that worked better).
  more...

Conference calls were annoying as heck. Depending on the district these happen 3+ times a week at least and early in the morning (for managers). I hated them.

Company incentives were awesome, including a $250 - $1000 referral bonus, company trip for top sellers (which is great), brand spiffs and contests,sports tickets with your team, and great commission structure.

Their benefits package is based on hitting a minimum sales target, which is a hurdle but certainly doable at full-time status. Even in one of the slowest locations the team well exceeded it.

Met executives / CEO and they were also very friendly. TMS seems to genuinely care about their employees and balance that with the business side of things.

I would argue it's hard to advance past a Manager or Territory Manager position. I know several employees who left due to not being promoted when they should have certainly been qualified. However a good TM or manager will make amazing bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Contests + Incentives, Brand Knowledge, Company Culture
Cons
Raising targets, non-receptive clients, targets for
Sounds good but isn't
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 March 2018
Constantly short staffed, don't get the support or training needed to succeed.
Promised things that are never given, including minimum requirements by law.
Change rules without telling anybody, best part of job was carrier sales reps.
Pros
Phone bill discount, carrier reps help
Cons
Unpredictable hours and staffing
Gaining confidence
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ON16 March 2018
This job allowed me to improve my public speaking skills with customers whenever I would interact with them. Made me gain more knowledge in the aspect of cell phones and carrier networks. The one thing I learned from this work is the importance of "customers for life" policy. It made me realize that it's easy to sell anything to a customer but implementing this policy allows you not only sell them what the want but to build trust with them.
Interesting when it is busy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 March 2018
Although there is the possibility of significant earning via commission, staff are limited by the market location. Rural locations tended to perform significantly better, thus more bonuses, due to being one of few mobile providers. Locations in the GTA struggled due to market saturation. Management provided many theoretical solutions but they ultimately fell flat due to a location's customer volume.
Pros
Commission
Cons
High turnover of part tiem staff
it was a learning experience
Lead Advisor (Manager) (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC8 March 2018
The Mobile Shop has changed - I remember working here and loving coming to work - until management lost touch with the field.
Days are spent meeting unreasonable targets, their "bonus system" is out of touch. Salaries are non-negotiable. It doesn't matter if you've worked 8 days straight, they're going to demand that you continue working. Sick - you're working. Surgery - you're working.
Members of their management will push you out - if you don't do things "their way" without being clear on what they want. In this role, you're truly a number - you have no value as a person - regardless of what you bring to the table.

Spending hours on conference calls - listening to a monotone voice drone on about an email that everyone had read was debilitating.

We were underpaid, overworked and under rewarded.
Pros
50% discount?
Cons
not valued, overworked, not a member of a team.
Poor company to work for
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Western Canada24 February 2018
Not a very good company to work for. Will treat long time employees completly disposable. The company is all about feat management and upper management absoultelty plays favorites. Constant staffing and upper management turnover.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for advancement
Cons
Everything else
Great opportunity
Mobile advisor, advised customers (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 February 2018
Great opportunity to learn a new trade of talents. Hours were long and slow, not a lot of customers due to the inadequate location. Boss was not a friendly woman to work for, one day promised myself some extra training...three days later fired me and I never received a reason why - however I did not require one because I was just under my 90 days of employment. I would not recommend this job to anyone, there is no security. Beside all of that, it was a good job and decent pay, goo opportunity to learn some skills with phones.
Pros
Managed own shifts
Cons
Unlawful termination
Wasn't a great work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS31 January 2018
My manager at the time was a bit of a stick in the mud that didn't have passion for his job, nor did he really seem to care about his employees. I was 6 months pregnant while i was working, and he wouldn't allow me to sit down. I had to go to the higher ups and of course was given approval.
Productive work area
customer support (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 January 2018
Getting work/sales done while having great conversations with clients/customers. Day to day excitement with bonuses and challenges from head office and management.
Company of Malpractices
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2018
Worked with them for a long time with no recognition.
No increment in pay. PC pts problems always for customers.
Unfair practices rampant across the company.

Top Management not interested. Favoritism.

Every department full of errors including the head office.

I will never recommend the mobile Shop to Anyone.
Pros
Always Available job
Cons
Stress, long hours, Highly unorganized
Ok place to work
Store Manager/ Mobile Expert (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 December 2017
good place to work and gain experience in the cellular industry, I had a good experience learning about the different carriers and how the industry worked.
Pros
Commision
no good
Assistant Manager / Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON31 October 2017
bad management no recognition no moving up no help harassment. unstable work place, harassmentbad management no recognition no moving up no help harassment. ON feet all day, baad customers, bad co workers, harassing DM, people get fired everyday. Never acknowledge for work done always insulted
Awesome Team
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS19 October 2017
The Mobile Shop is an incredible company. It has it's customers needs at the forefront. Management are easy to work with as well..
Great place to work.
Routine
Phone Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 October 2017
The job is all about routine. The kiosk is all about maintaining a routine of how things are done. Money count, advertising on phones, cleaning, changing marketing material, opening packages, maintaining a count of all stocks including phones and other accessories. Thats pretty much it, maintain a checklist of all things in the kiosk and be up front and honest with your customer and you will be just fine.
Great enviroment to work in.
Wireless Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK29 September 2017
Great enviroment to work in. Building customer relations and worling with phones all day is enjoyable. Overall I've enjoyed my time here at The Mobole Shop.
Pros
Hours, Pay, The people
Cons
Head office, benefits
No safety of work at all
Retail sales manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 September 2017
Gave my all in for a year. Provided excellent customer service without getting proper training.

Then one fine day even if you are a permanent employee you are getting terminated because of some mental person.
Pros
Employee discoun
Not good for long-term
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 August 2017
I worked at the mobile shop for several months, I liked the job overall, however, the management is horrible - you are constantly reminded that you are replaceable, sometimes there are too many sales associates per store so even if you are "full time" youll get 18-28 hours a week, even with commission it isn't enough to live off of. You are truly just a number to this company.
Pros
half off phone plans
Cons
management, culture
Most boring job ever.
Customer Service Rep/Insurance Rep (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB19 June 2017
The site I was at consisted of bugging local shoppers to take free PC Points and rarely doing activation's.

Hours were decent, pay was alright but you'll bore to death.
Pros
Decent pay, hours.
Cons
Boring, management was horrible.
bad workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Listowel, ON17 May 2017
i did not like working at the mobile shop, i felt like i was set up for failure i was not trained fully i feel like i needed more training. I would not recommend working there
Pros
n/a
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mobile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.