The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

unreasonable
sales (Former Employee) –  bathurst5 February 2019
this is the worse place that i ever worked at. I was employed for 1 month, everyone in the kiosk was brand new including the manager who started after me. One person in the kiosk that I worked with was making me feel uncomfortable and being extremely bossy and rude with me, I ended up asking him why he was treating me like this and he refused to answer... next day the manager told me that I apparently called this employee derogatory names. next shift i walk in and i was fired. there was no investigation or anything professional about how this was handled. I reached out to h.r and basically I was told the manager said it happened so there for it happened...
Never again will I work for this company, they are all liars and only care about the numbers even if the employees are lying to the customers to make the sale..
Pros
non
Cons
too many
Low Pay/Lack of Training/Job Securiy
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 February 2019
Mobile shop was an OK place to work. The hours were awesome, the pay low - minamum wage; the commission was even lower & no real training or support given. I was only allowed one 30 minute lunch break with no real breaks. Was expected 35 sales monthly, Which was never unreasonable attainable goal for the location I was which was unreasonable attainable goal for the location at.
Pros
Good hours.
Cons
Long hours standing, no training or support given
Worst job I’ve ever had
Mobilist (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 January 2019
I’ve had a lot of jobs. And this is by far the worst. Between the garbage management and head office treating me VERY poorly, I’m very disappointed and would never recommend ANYONE work here.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, head office, lack of training
Good entry level sales job; long hours standing
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 December 2018
Working for The Mobile Shop can be a good experience, depending on the type of person you are. It is a very challenging and social job, involving lots of technical knowledge and customer service.

I enjoyed most of my time with TMS because of my coworkers and customers. Coworkers were fun to work with and hardworking. Customers are always a mixed bag but I met lots of interesting and friendly people who would sometimes stop by just to chat and catch up.

The job can be both extremely stressful and extremely boring at times. Back-to-school season and holiday seasons are very very busy. Some days working in a grocery store can slog by, involving lots of time standing and lots of rejections from potential customers. Upper management tends to not understand what sales reps go through day-to-day. If your sales targets are less than what they want, watch out.

Lots of carriers to know, plans are constantly changing and customers can have lots of questions about devices. Takes a few months to get comfortable with the job.

Despite the negatives, I mostly enjoyed working for The Mobile Shop. Pay was decent and the people made every day unique and interesting.
Pros
Pay is decent, customers and staff can be entertaining
Cons
Long hours, always standing, some customers are never happy (can be very stressful)
Great Workplace, Friendly People
Mobile Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NB14 October 2018
Work as usual at the Mobile Shop consists of updating the pricing for each and every carrier, phone and plan. Doing stock counts and unloading any new stock that arrives
Fun and rewarding place to work. Good customer base
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON21 September 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. Everyday learning new products and working with multiple mobile companies. Working with the public and helping them to understand the mobile world was always interesting. Working for a leading company with the opportunity for growth and development was a rewarding experience.
Lacking Support
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
The Mobile shop has a sound business model however the upper management team lacks empathy and understanding of the front line workers. The overall support is lacking and there is a lot of politics and personal feelings and emotions in decision making process. Further the HR team has very little understanding common and acceptable HR practices.
Meh
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON2 September 2018
Spent most of my time trying to find things to do, such as cleaning the kiosk, and helping customers in the store find their groceries.

Very boring job.
Standing for your full shift.
Generic Minimum Wage Sales Job
Canadian Leader (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 August 2018
You make minimum wage but the opportunity for commission is (at least) present... maybe not amazing though.

This is a job that will pay you minimum wage.
Terrible Leadership Horrible Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Canada28 July 2018
When this company started it was all about your customer now it's all about getting the most profit out of a sale regardless on what you tell your customer. If you are new in this company you have a month to sell the most you can with little training they will turn and burn you as quick as they hired you. Job security which there isn't any don't waste your time go work for one of the main companies you will get treated better with more job security. Watch out for the drama in the districts it's like high school all over again favoritism is a big part with this company. Upper Managment Territory Managers and up will throw you under the bus to save there own back sides absolutely 0 loyalty in this company all they want is sales and profits. STAY AWAY ITS A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT AND A WAISTE OF YOUR TIME THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THEN MAKING MONEY.
Pros
Ok Money
Cons
Everything Else
SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2018
Nice management, cooperative.
Pay is good and according to your performance you gets reward and fun to work.
Good commission if you know hoe to work and how to do selling
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 June 2018
Mobile shop is a fun place to work and a great company to manage for, A lot of there manager are hired from within and they have a great incentive program. They don't pay managers as much as other company's but They give people with no management experience a shot at the same time
Pros
Lots of room to move up in the company, ( Not a company that says this and does not follow through) they actually promote within
Cons
Some locations are slow and its hard to make a good amount of commission at some locations
Not Great
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 May 2018
The way the sales work is not really suited for real life considering the store i worked at was mostly elderly people coming in, making it difficult to make sales. They expect you to go into the store and bother people while shopping about wireless details. If you didn't make sales for the day (not for lack or trying) the general manager would be really rude.The GM would often intimidate us and make our manager cry. The turn over rate is really high.
Great culture, good commission structure
Mobile Expert, Assistant / Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 May 2018
This job experience will vary vastly on your direct superior and the location you're working in (income, competition, reception, etc). Low-income stores will be more difficult to make sales in, but consequently will have lower volume targets. The wrong manager can be a curse - my store more than doubled our volume when my first manager was replaced. To mitigate that you should make friends with people all around your district and ask for their input, suggestions, etc if your mgr isn't helpful, or if you're struggling with a specific problem.

The vast majority of the company are friendly, open to suggestions and encourage creativity to bring in clients and achieve targets. If you take initiative and have a good attitude, your coworkers across the district and company will notice. People will send you a phone from across the country, even if they've never talked to you before. I've found some stores that go AGAINST policy to help you out when you need it. If I had a procedure problem or needed advice I could call anyone in my district for help. Take advantage of this!

The biggest hurdle is getting comfortable with activation and selling; once you're comfortable with your clients and the system you have the chance to really make money. Encouraging strangers to buy from you is really uncomfortable at first but will become second nature if you work at it. Understand that sales is a numbers game and you won't get every client.

Some targets made no sense (much of the MSA program is supposed to be followed to a T; I was much more creative with it and found that worked better).
  more...

Conference calls were annoying as heck. Depending on the district these happen 3+ times a week at least and early in the morning (for managers). I hated them.

Company incentives were awesome, including a $250 - $1000 referral bonus, company trip for top sellers (which is great), brand spiffs and contests,sports tickets with your team, and great commission structure.

Their benefits package is based on hitting a minimum sales target, which is a hurdle but certainly doable at full-time status. Even in one of the slowest locations the team well exceeded it.

Met executives / CEO and they were also very friendly. TMS seems to genuinely care about their employees and balance that with the business side of things.

I would argue it's hard to advance past a Manager or Territory Manager position. I know several employees who left due to not being promoted when they should have certainly been qualified. However a good TM or manager will make amazing bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Contests + Incentives, Brand Knowledge, Company Culture
Cons
Raising targets, non-receptive clients, targets for
Sounds good but isn't
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 March 2018
Constantly short staffed, don't get the support or training needed to succeed.
Promised things that are never given, including minimum requirements by law.
Change rules without telling anybody, best part of job was carrier sales reps.
Pros
Phone bill discount, carrier reps help
Cons
Unpredictable hours and staffing
Gaining confidence
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ON16 March 2018
This job allowed me to improve my public speaking skills with customers whenever I would interact with them. Made me gain more knowledge in the aspect of cell phones and carrier networks. The one thing I learned from this work is the importance of "customers for life" policy. It made me realize that it's easy to sell anything to a customer but implementing this policy allows you not only sell them what the want but to build trust with them.
Interesting when it is busy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 March 2018
Although there is the possibility of significant earning via commission, staff are limited by the market location. Rural locations tended to perform significantly better, thus more bonuses, due to being one of few mobile providers. Locations in the GTA struggled due to market saturation. Management provided many theoretical solutions but they ultimately fell flat due to a location's customer volume.
Pros
Commission
Cons
High turnover of part tiem staff
it was a learning experience
Lead Advisor (Manager) (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC8 March 2018
The Mobile Shop has changed - I remember working here and loving coming to work - until management lost touch with the field.
Days are spent meeting unreasonable targets, their "bonus system" is out of touch. Salaries are non-negotiable. It doesn't matter if you've worked 8 days straight, they're going to demand that you continue working. Sick - you're working. Surgery - you're working.
Members of their management will push you out - if you don't do things "their way" without being clear on what they want. In this role, you're truly a number - you have no value as a person - regardless of what you bring to the table.

Spending hours on conference calls - listening to a monotone voice drone on about an email that everyone had read was debilitating.

We were underpaid, overworked and under rewarded.
Pros
50% discount?
Cons
not valued, overworked, not a member of a team.
Poor company to work for
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Western Canada24 February 2018
Not a very good company to work for. Will treat long time employees completly disposable. The company is all about feat management and upper management absoultelty plays favorites. Constant staffing and upper management turnover.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for advancement
Cons
Everything else
Great opportunity
Mobile advisor, advised customers (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 February 2018
Great opportunity to learn a new trade of talents. Hours were long and slow, not a lot of customers due to the inadequate location. Boss was not a friendly woman to work for, one day promised myself some extra training...three days later fired me and I never received a reason why - however I did not require one because I was just under my 90 days of employment. I would not recommend this job to anyone, there is no security. Beside all of that, it was a good job and decent pay, goo opportunity to learn some skills with phones.
Pros
Managed own shifts
Cons
Unlawful termination

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mobile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.