The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

Horrid place
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB20 May 2019
The pay isn't bad but all they want you to do is push the phones and not worry about the customer. They merged my district with another and then proceeded to fire all the managers in my district, when they did that i walked out
Pros
do nothing all day because no one comes to you
Cons
they fire you easily
Shark Tank
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2019
Sharks rule.
must eat all the time.
Sell your friends, family and everyone you see.
Master all the plans, must keep buzzing to the family shopping for groceries. but your a shark. baby shark!
Ontario North district is scum stay away
Lead Advisor (Store Manager) (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 March 2019
The management expects managers to commit fraud for benefit of the company.

Stay away if you have a decent self worth. They have constant pressure on everyone from management to individual sales reps
Pros
50% off phone bill, the satisfaction of quitting
Cons
Management is atrocious
Avoid at all costs
Mobilist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 March 2019
Horrible management higher up, full time is 30 hours which they will still try to cut from you. You are expendable in every way imaginable, you're not an employee you're just another prawn to them.
Not fun
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON19 March 2019
Co workers were great, some customers were nice, but management was very manipulative and shady. Very toxic environment. Often heard from co workers about the manager complaining about employees. Never fully received training, any day the manager would ask me to come in for training it was just an excuse for the manager to go home early. Constantly getting text messages outside of work hours from the manager telling me what I did wrong throughout the day. Wouldn’t recommend.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Everything else
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 February 2019
Mobilist (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 January 2019
Terrible Management; High Turnover
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 December 2018
The people I worked with at a store level were great; however, the company was very poorly managed. Inexperienced people were often put in charge. Favourtism was a huge problem, and small stores often got ignored. I worked there for 4 years and was making the same hourly rate when I left as when I started. You will get told to "sell more if you want to make more", which is discouraging. It's a fine job for a period of time if your store is good and if your DM is willing to help you out, but it can become very toxic very quickly.
A lot of changes happened during my time there, and not very smoothly. We were run by a different company every year, and it was hard to know the reporting structure at times.
Cons
A lot of time spent alone if you have a slow store
Good entry level sales job; long hours standing
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 December 2018
Working for The Mobile Shop can be a good experience, depending on the type of person you are. It is a very challenging and social job, involving lots of technical knowledge and customer service.

I enjoyed most of my time with TMS because of my coworkers and customers. Coworkers were fun to work with and hardworking. Customers are always a mixed bag but I met lots of interesting and friendly people who would sometimes stop by just to chat and catch up.

The job can be both extremely stressful and extremely boring at times. Back-to-school season and holiday seasons are very very busy. Some days working in a grocery store can slog by, involving lots of time standing and lots of rejections from potential customers. Upper management tends to not understand what sales reps go through day-to-day. If your sales targets are less than what they want, watch out.

Lots of carriers to know, plans are constantly changing and customers can have lots of questions about devices. Takes a few months to get comfortable with the job.

Despite the negatives, I mostly enjoyed working for The Mobile Shop. Pay was decent and the people made every day unique and interesting.
Pros
Pay is decent, customers and staff can be entertaining
Cons
Long hours, always standing, some customers are never happy (can be very stressful)
Great Workplace, Friendly People
Mobile Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NB14 October 2018
Work as usual at the Mobile Shop consists of updating the pricing for each and every carrier, phone and plan. Doing stock counts and unloading any new stock that arrives
Fun and rewarding place to work. Good customer base
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON21 September 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. Everyday learning new products and working with multiple mobile companies. Working with the public and helping them to understand the mobile world was always interesting. Working for a leading company with the opportunity for growth and development was a rewarding experience.
Lacking Support
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
The Mobile shop has a sound business model however the upper management team lacks empathy and understanding of the front line workers. The overall support is lacking and there is a lot of politics and personal feelings and emotions in decision making process. Further the HR team has very little understanding common and acceptable HR practices.
Meh
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON2 September 2018
Spent most of my time trying to find things to do, such as cleaning the kiosk, and helping customers in the store find their groceries.

Very boring job.
Standing for your full shift.
Canadian Leader (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 August 2018
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Canada28 July 2018
SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2018
Nice management, cooperative.
Pay is good and according to your performance you gets reward and fun to work.
Good commission if you know hoe to work and how to do selling
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 June 2018
Mobile shop is a fun place to work and a great company to manage for, A lot of there manager are hired from within and they have a great incentive program. They don't pay managers as much as other company's but They give people with no management experience a shot at the same time
Pros
Lots of room to move up in the company, ( Not a company that says this and does not follow through) they actually promote within
Cons
Some locations are slow and its hard to make a good amount of commission at some locations
Great culture, good commission structure
Mobile Expert, Assistant / Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 May 2018
This job experience will vary vastly on your direct superior and the location you're working in (income, competition, reception, etc). Low-income stores will be more difficult to make sales in, but consequently will have lower volume targets. The wrong manager can be a curse - my store more than doubled our volume when my first manager was replaced. To mitigate that you should make friends with people all around your district and ask for their input, suggestions, etc if your mgr isn't helpful, or if you're struggling with a specific problem.

The vast majority of the company are friendly, open to suggestions and encourage creativity to bring in clients and achieve targets. If you take initiative and have a good attitude, your coworkers across the district and company will notice. People will send you a phone from across the country, even if they've never talked to you before. I've found some stores that go AGAINST policy to help you out when you need it. If I had a procedure problem or needed advice I could call anyone in my district for help. Take advantage of this!

The biggest hurdle is getting comfortable with activation and selling; once you're comfortable with your clients and the system you have the chance to really make money. Encouraging strangers to buy from you is really uncomfortable at first but will become second nature if you work at it. Understand that sales is a numbers game and you won't get every client.

Some targets made no sense (much of the MSA program is supposed to be followed to a T; I was much more creative with it and found that worked better).
  more...

Conference calls were annoying as heck. Depending on the district these happen 3+ times a week at least and early in the morning (for managers). I hated them.

Company incentives were awesome, including a $250 - $1000 referral bonus, company trip for top sellers (which is great), brand spiffs and contests,sports tickets with your team, and great commission structure.

Their benefits package is based on hitting a minimum sales target, which is a hurdle but certainly doable at full-time status. Even in one of the slowest locations the team well exceeded it.

Met executives / CEO and they were also very friendly. TMS seems to genuinely care about their employees and balance that with the business side of things.

I would argue it's hard to advance past a Manager or Territory Manager position. I know several employees who left due to not being promoted when they should have certainly been qualified. However a good TM or manager will make amazing bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Contests + Incentives, Brand Knowledge, Company Culture
Cons
Raising targets, non-receptive clients, targets for
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 March 2018
Gaining confidence
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ON16 March 2018
This job allowed me to improve my public speaking skills with customers whenever I would interact with them. Made me gain more knowledge in the aspect of cell phones and carrier networks. The one thing I learned from this work is the importance of "customers for life" policy. It made me realize that it's easy to sell anything to a customer but implementing this policy allows you not only sell them what the want but to build trust with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mobile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.