The Malcolm Hotel

The Malcolm Hotel Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews

Fun work place

overall good environment to work in. Helpful supervisors, always looking to be a support if you need them. Nice staff accommodation, 10 minutes walking to work.

Excellent team

I loved my team at the Malcolm!! Everyone had each other’s backs and managers supported through difficult situations with guests. It’s a beautiful hotel and they care about both guests and staff. Moved back home due to visa ending otherwise I would have loved to stay.

Pros

Discounted room rates and F&B, spacious staff accommodations only 5 min walk to work, supportive manager, fun team

Cons

Hospitality is hard and it’s busy in the summer and weekends. Definitely work hard play hard vibe.

Insights into The Malcolm Hotel

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things

Really great place to work

The housekeeping department is a good place to work. It is a happy environment and you feel supported by management. Coming as an international worker I felt safe in staff accommodation and it had everything I needed. I was trained really well when I arrived and always encouraged at work. The supervisors and managers were good and always helped when needed. We had pizza lunches and other treats every month or so which was a nice way to bond with other housekeepers. The workload was manageable despite it being a busy summer season and everyone pitched in to help.

Pros

Good management

Must not think of joining this group members

No legendary team.I haven’t seen the manager for long time before. This summer, All of sudden that showed up and made new rule and instructions, always protects everything on management side opinions and staffs.We were not allowed to apply for any short vaccination on this busy season though….they can have fun with nice first summer after Covid-19 outbreak.That means here was not worthy of working hard even if you guys have nice experiences for this work place.Working harder, getting more rooms and less working hours and pay.If you have great skills to figure out this busy season as a room attendant, you would receive so unexpected amounts of tasks from unreliable management.Anyway, Staff accommodations will be demolished soon for brand new fancy apartments.

Pros

Helpful Assistant manager

Cons

Other management…

Great Management and Work Culture

Room for growth, management cares and good pay. They always held fun activities for the staff to build morale. We had a great end of year Christmas party.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Busy

Excellent workplace

Currently, work as a server for the lounge on weekdays and at the fine dining on weekends. Since I started earlier this year, I felt like the management takes good care of their employe, we always have days off requested approved and they promote a healthy workplace culture. I enjoy working with my team as they make it fun :) Not staying at staff housing but heard good things about it.

There are much better hotels and restaurants in the area - experienced servers should stay away

I would like to share my experience as a server who has been working in restaurants for years, including several other hotels in the Banff area:This hotel is extremely disorganized. Many servers report discrepancies with their tip-out, leading us to question whether we are being paid what we are owed. Most of the managers lack the leadership skills necessary to motivate and support their team. Management in the kitchen is extremely disrespectful to front of house staff. Servers are expected to behave as though they are working in a fine-dining restaurant when the quality of food is subpar. Guests are routinely disappointed and feel as if they are being overcharged for what is essentially pub-grub. The head chef is unwilling - perhaps unable - to accept constructive criticism. Over the course of one summer season, the majority of our team quit to work elsewhere. Not a single one of them were unhappy with that decision. I strongly encourage anyone with any experience in the food and beverage industry to apply elsewhere, unless serious changes are made.The only reason I stayed for an entire season at this hotel was because of my wonderful coworkers with whom I bonded over our shared misery and lack of purpose.

Pros

Affordable staff housing, discounts on food and lodging at Clique properties

Cons

Extremely disorganized, payroll discrepancies, unqualified management

Weird vibes

Not an understanding workplace, not a very compassionate one during a pandemic either. Management is terrible. Don’t expect to be treated fairly or kindly.

Pros

An interesting experience that ended abruptly and in an unprofessional manner

I worked in the kitchen with a wonderful team, however despite my efforts I found myself stuck at a lower pay grade to the role I was fulfilling and then was pushed out the door with unfair dismissal,I was told I wasn't "good enough" (which was later proven wrong) I felt like the more I tried to do the worse things got.I was later accused of intention to do something that never happened or was going to happen, (if I intended wouldn't I have done it and been caught) I was given less than 12 hours to get out of the staff accommodation, (which fyi was a broke down, trashed, insecure old trailer which was setup for 4 people.... YUCK)I was also informed by multiple sources later that unprofessional comments towards myself and family where made and also some rumours began to circulate too.This was a very disappointing thing to experience, and definitely not the Canadian hospitality I expected.However I thank them at the same time for boosting my skills and confidence although it was wasted on them and only came to fruition when I immediately found my promotion in a restaurant 10x busier and demanding and I was told I was awesome.

Pros

Fine dining experience, Creativity

Cons

Unprepared, Unprofessional Management, Oversold Experience

i love my job

learnt lots from chefs have a solid relationship with management where I feel comfortable addressing issues never felt out of place, or afraid to ask for help

A Healthy place to work at

The management is good, patient and properly traines you. The kitchen is run in a professional way. The staff are very friendly and are team oriented.

Don't recommend working in housekeeping

Don't recommend working in housekeeping during winter season if you need the money since it is (very) slow season. They hired me as a full-time employee, however since I started a few months ago I never had one single week of full-time except Christmas time. Sometimes you have days of 3 - 4 - 5 hours and most of the time you have 3 days off a week. With that, you can just cover your rent and other living costs (not really possible to save any money). They are constantly hiring housekeepers even though there are already too many, which makes it even more difficult to get hours. Apart from that, the housekeeping manager is a real pain, seems like she enjoys making people unhappy. The supervisors are really nice though. If you get a new roommate in your staff accommodation, it's not being communicated at all, the new person will just show up in your trailer/room. Staff accommodation is in a trailer park in a mobile home, there are single and shared rooms. It's alright and a 10 minute walk to work and about 15 minutes to downtown. However, some accommodations are not well equipped (not enough cutlery, pots, or even furniture). There's no point in requesting something since you probably won't receive anything in the end. You're better off buying the stuff you need at the local thrift store. Apart from all that it's a nice working atmosphere since the co-workers and supervisors are really nice.

Great hotel

Great hotel to work for, very fast paced job rooms need to be ready on time. Great team work and help each other. Some weeks hours are shorter but try very hard to give you as many as they can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Malcolm Hotel. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement