THE LAW SOCIETY OF UPPER CANADA

THE LAW SOCIETY OF UPPER CANADA Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Good place to work, organization truly believes in a work life balance. Great people, flexible work hours and great benefits. Only true drawbacks are that some times the benchers get too involved in running the day to day Operations, which can create political tension.
Pros
Truly a 9 to 5
Cons
Political at times.
Excellent work environment with professional employees and exciting work engagements. Managers and colleagues were very supportive and worked closely with me to bring me up the learning curve.
despite the long hours, I enjoyed the work and the environment I was in. I arrived early to work and left in the evening. I learned a lot from the people and the students I was working with.
This website is so stupid, why I have to do this is beyond me. I should not have to spent time typing in this message. And, it has intelligence built into it as well. WOW!!!
flexible hours, work from home, taking professional courses, new development and enhancements, bug fixes, attending the meetings, address production issues
Learned a lot from my manager.

The culture in my team is great.

Friendly atmosphere.

Accessible leadership team.

Compensation is often not adequate for the amount of workload.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
No Cons
A horrible bar association. Outlandish yearly fees. Horrible customer service. I am a member of two other bars, both of which charge substantially less in annual dues and yet provide far better service.
The work was very fulfilling where you felt like you were making a difference and helping people. There was no typical day at work. Many staff had been in the department for years and were very experienced and knowledgeable. A few years after I started, management changed. They were not qualified and did not manage or trust experienced staff enough to do the work. Micro-managing seemed to become the norm and they got bogged down in process and could not see big picture. The backlog of work grew exponentially with no relief. Culture changed and the stress started affecting daily work.
Pros
Very fulfilling and worthwhile work. Good benefits and work hours
Cons
Management. There was no oversight over management.
Busy place to work with:
Management need to give attentions employees needs and concerns

Need more employee because site is under staff.

they don't give increase for 8 years
This is an adequate company to work for. Silos for the most part and mediocre management but I have no issues. Culture is very old and staid so it's very difficult to be creative or get new ideas implemented.
Working here was great and I had only left to pursue working in healthcare security with St. Michael's hospital.

They had a great work/family atmosphere.
I worked here for a number of years and I was given respect and was trusted with many tasks. There are some very competent people here and I would recommend it to those who like the 9-5 grind.
I worked there as a summer intern for several years and was always treated with respect by my managers and coworkers. The pay was pretty bad but it was a summer internship.
-Excellent management, and strong communication in the workplace
-Great atmosphere

-Flexible work hours and hollidays

-Friendly staff, and added benefits
Strives to maintain its Top Employer status, so has introduced a number of initiatives to do so - flexible work arrangements, health and wellness program, commitment to diversity and inclusion. Lots of opportunity for entry-level and intermediate level employees to move around - gain experience in other areas. Not so much at the senior level. Promotes cross-functional work. Lots of smart, talented people to learn from and enjoy working with.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
Currently experiencing poor leadership
Leaving was the hardest part. Co-workers had become firm friends, great work atmosphere. People are great, work life balance is good.
The law society of upper Canada is one of the best places to work. I learned so much at the Law Society including communication skills.
A challenging environment that can offer lots of potential growth.

Different challenges are posed everyday that offer valuable transferrable skills growth such as dealing with client care, communications, typing communication bulletins, and working with confidential, highly time-sensitive information.
Pros
Challenging rewarding work
Cons
Can be a lot of pressure if you are not used to working with strict deadlines
Working with the Law Society was definitely a great experience! Some Co-workers were there to give a helping hand when needed.
Especially when there was a case which required a large amount of work to be completed, all hands were on board.
It is always busy at the Law Society. Time just flies by.
I have learned to be more organized and how to be more precise in writing.

The best management I have seen so far in my career.

In the Law Society I did not find a typical corporate culture. Your hard works is always recognized and appreciated and you always get constructive feedback.
The instructions I was given were very complete. I was able to communicate with my manager at all times. I enjoyed the work. I am continuing to do the occasional assignments and contribute to the organization of my products and their delivery.