The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work
Server/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 July 2019
A great flexible place to work. It never has felt like a job and everyday I look forward to "working". A great way to pay off post secondary education.
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 July 2019
Great people, great tips. They have good staff discounts on food
Pros
free lunches
Cons
irregular hours
Excellent Training
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario3 July 2019
The Keg really promotes growth within the company and a good staff culture like hosting the Keg Cup (snowboard weekend) and other fun activities. The training is excellent and prepares you for other employment opportunities as well.
Professional and Trustworthy Work Environment
Dining Room Server and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 June 2019
The Keg management team gives me the freedom and trust to perform my job to the best of my abilities. Hours are flexible which has helped me pursue other life goals and experiences. A recommended company to work for.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Positive work environment
If you're looking to be part of a family, the Keg is the right place
Dishwasher/Busser (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 June 2019
I have worked at two Kegs. One in Brantford and one in Oakville. I have come to the conclusion that across the board every single Keg you work at you will feel included and appreciated by coworkers as well as management.
The Keg offers promotions, for example, I started in dish and just got moved up to bussing. These promotions do not come with raises, but you can get a raise if you're a hard worker and have been part of the team for a year or so.
The Keg also has tons of recreational stuff to do, like soccer, basketball, etc. You can compete against other Keg's and get closer with your team members.
Management is both your friend and your boss. You can tell them anything without being on edge, but they also know when it's necessary to discipline, teach or warn.
I started this thinking it would be another part-time job, but then I dropped out of college because I can't imagine ever leaving, and Servers make way more than I would have if I stuck with my college career.
Oh, and there's tipout. In Oakville I got about $100 for a weekend, in Brantford for the week I get about $50. If you live in a big city expect a nice tipout every Monday. Otherwise, it's about an extra $1 an hour for dish and bus.
Pros
Everything but the one con
Cons
Summer hours are bad. Expect to get shifts cut.
Fun
Busser (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 June 2019
The workplace was almost like a second home, great staff and great management; probably my favourite workplace as of right now. Definitely grew as a person during my time there
Pros
staff discounts plus 3 friends, good tips
Cons
not enough work hours
Great place to work and learn the restaurant business
Server (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 June 2019
I started serving at the Keg with zero experience. The mangers make time to train you well and give you feedback on how to improve. You are working in a busy environment with a high price menu so guests expect a lot. I'm grateful to the management of the London South Keg for taking a chance on me and through their guidance I was able to provide exceptional guest experiences
Pros
The people, money and hours
Cons
Pressure to deliver
Friendly work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 June 2019
Even though everyone is rushed as it is a popular restaurant, I've never heard someone yell nor have been yelled at. The line staff never looked down on dishwashers and always were willing to help out at the end of the night. I enjoyed working here for the little amount of time I was here.
Pros
Free Bread, side dishes
Cons
Late hours (1am at latest)
Friendly Staff and Motivational Managers
Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 May 2019
I loved working here I would do anything for this company while working with them I got along with everyone and was barely stressed on the job because you enjoyed what you do and everyone helps each other out.
Pros
Tips
Cons
late hours
Amazing work place with good people working,
Server (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 May 2019
Good training very polite work place, however they gave a hard time with working two jobs at once, schedules so not always correspond to your availability which makes it difficult to work two jobs
Horrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2019
I worked for the Keg full time for over 6 months in hopes of getting benefits and they fired me right before I was eligible. It’s impossible to get benefits as a server. If management doesn’t like you, they don’t even need to have a good reason to lay you off as long as they pay you one week’s worth of pay, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it unless you can afford a lawyer. The Keg was good when I first started, then a new manager got more power and he started taking over the schedules. He plays favouritism and gives people he like more shifts and better sections. He also gets wasted at the Keg bar after work and on his days off. At the Keg cup this year he got smashed and inappropriately touched one of the staff. This manager is also condescending and yells at staff, I’ve seen him get into arguments with multiple staff. Management will always cover up for each other and if you ever bring anything up, then you’ll be on the chopping block which was what happened in my case.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Horrible management
Official response from The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
26 August 2019

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the details in your review. We have a zero tolerance policy to any form of harassment or inappropriate behavior. Please contact us at humanresources@kegrestaurants.com.

Not worth the headache
Host (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 May 2019
If I could give zero stars, I would.
Management lacks training.
Deal with difficult patrons on your own at your own risk.
Management is never around to handle incidents, but present to gossip with employees about other employees.
Will use you for summer then lay you off.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fallsview blvd18 May 2019
They say the wage is between $14.50-$15.00 an hour, helllo that is minimum wage. They also say they offer generous tip outs, if you consider 9 dollars for 2 weeks generous,, I made more delivering newspapers. Managers are idiots, they receive low wage and big tip outs (which I'm sure is not declared on taxes) don't waste your summer here, nothing to learn here.
Pros
Free steak
Cons
low tip out
Fun and well organized workplace
Restaurant Hostess and Busser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC13 May 2019
Working at The Keg was a very good first experience job as all employees were well mannered and welcoming. The most enjoyable part of The Keg was being able to socialize with workers and customers and learning life lessons along the way. The hardest part of the job was organizing the table plan while the restaurant was very busy and making sure all the customers were satisfied.
Pros
Good employee discount
Cons
Two hour shifts as a hostess
Very fun place to work
Part Time Worker (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 May 2019
The Keg is a great place to work, fun people and great management. It's always unexpected what the shift ahead of you will bring. Always just have to be prepared and expect a good time.
Pros
Amazing Atmosphere
Cons
Often Short Hours
Great people terrible job
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 May 2019
I've worked at the keg thunder bay for 3 years now and I must say I haven't really enjoyed it for the past 2 years. I am a student at university and have only stayed there because of the money. The management team is super disorganized in terms of scheduling and things like training. Also, we were never able to keep enough staff where if people needed a few days off it was hardly ever given to them. A few weekends ago I needed two days off and the management told me they would give it to me and they did not give it to me and I miss a really important event because of this. The job on the cook line is also very stressful as team members all have their own way of doing things and management has not been able to fix the problems since I have been there. In terms of the people there, they are always laughing and made it enjoyable to go to work and have a good laugh however going to this stressful "part-time job" with co-workers disagreeing over everything made it very hard to work. The job is also very stressful for a part-time job. Although the pay is nice sometimes the stress really makes me question whether or not the job is actually worth the money. This place has taught me some valuable things such as work ethic and proper cooking techniques. Management is pretty disorganized at times. Getting time off for certain events isn't always easy. The people there are really nice and you can always have a good laugh whenever you go there, however they tend to hire some people that are not the best of workers. The job itself was pretty hard and you must have a strong mentality to  more... get through the shift. The pay is nice and is probably one of the only reasons why me and other people there have stayed working there.  less
Pros
free salads, decent pay
Cons
Disorganization, long late hours and co workers are'nt the best workers
Good staff
Hostess, busser, food runner, exposition (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 May 2019
I did a lot of different things at the Keg. Each day was very different. I gained a lot of restaurant and customer service experience at this facility. All of the management was great, they treated their staff well. Everybody was like a big family. The jobs I did were not very challenging. I enjoyed interacting with customers and the staff the most.
Pros
Free salad bar
Cons
No cons
Simple
Serveur (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC30 April 2019
Keg is a restaurant where you will be given all the tools to succeed. The only thing that may or may not play in your favor is the fact that most of the job as to be done as a team. You can be a team player but if there are some in the team that arent... It can hurt your performances.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Dependant on other's performances
Terrible work culture
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 April 2019
The Fallsview Keg has some of the worst work culture I have ever seen. No motivating staff to do better or advance in the company. Managers attempt to use scare tactics to get what they want and also act like they are babysitters. They are unorganized and Tips are (or at least were) unfairly distributed through management. Garbage company atmosphere. Too bad, for such a great location.
Pros
good tips
Cons
long hours/sub-par management/ where are the rest of my tips?
Very fun work environemnt
Dishwasher/Bus/Maintenance Person (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON29 April 2019
My duties were dishwashing, bussing tables, assisting bartenders with supplies and transporting beer kegs. I was also a fulltime maintenance worker (cleaning bathrooms, grill etc)
Pros
Very fun place
Cons
Some unprofessional behaviour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Keg Steakhouse + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3