The Keg Steakhouse + Bar

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews for Line Cook

If you worth something, stay away from Keg
Line cook (Current Employee) –  North Edmonton, AB11 December 2019
This isn't a restaurant company but an assembly-line. 90% percent of the cooks are asian minorities, English language is barely spoken within the “kitchen”, and training is a mess.
And so many managers, one more useless than the other. Stay away.
Good nice co-workers
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 November 2019
People are very friendly, busy restaurant , high season 500-600 covers a day. No space to creat anything, everything must be follow the book. No free staff meal. Get insurance benefit if work full time.
Great people terrible job
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 May 2019
I've worked at the keg thunder bay for 3 years now and I must say I haven't really enjoyed it for the past 2 years. I am a student at university and have only stayed there because of the money. The management team is super disorganized in terms of scheduling and things like training. Also, we were never able to keep enough staff where if people needed a few days off it was hardly ever given to them. A few weekends ago I needed two days off and the management told me they would give it to me and they did not give it to me and I miss a really important event because of this. The job on the cook line is also very stressful as team members all have their own way of doing things and management has not been able to fix the problems since I have been there. In terms of the people there, they are always laughing and made it enjoyable to go to work and have a good laugh however going to this stressful "part-time job" with co-workers disagreeing over everything made it very hard to work. The job is also very stressful for a part-time job. Although the pay is nice sometimes the stress really makes me question whether or not the job is actually worth the money. This place has taught me some valuable things such as work ethic and proper cooking techniques. Management is pretty disorganized at times. Getting time off for certain events isn't always easy. The people there are really nice and you can always have a good laugh whenever you go there, however they tend to hire some people that are not the best of workers. The job itself was pretty hard and you must have a strong mentality to  more... get through the shift. The pay is nice and is probably one of the only reasons why me and other people there have stayed working there.  less
Pros
free salads, decent pay
Cons
Disorganization, long late hours and co workers are'nt the best workers
Okay. But not good managers
line cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2019
I've been work here almost 2 years.
I liked it but some problems are here.
Ans managers (my work place) are really don't care harramenet ( i had racism exp here ) but kitchen manager depending other guy ( both white) that things i didn't like it. And here is not good place to learn as cook or chef career. Foods are simple and easy too cook nothing much to do. I like here only good pay, benefits and some goos events.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No break(cook) managers late night too much expectation
a fun workplace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 March 2019
The managers are fun to work with, the hours are no so good and pay isn't great. the owners like to cut corners sometimes and it takes the passion away from the food
Official response from The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
19 March 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We'd like to hear more about your experience, please contact us as humanresources@kegrestaurants.com.

Amazing place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2018
Hands down top company in canada to work for. Such a family orented company. Always looming to better you as an employee. Always having available needs for you to grow in the company
Tough work but with great colleagues
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 December 2018
The job was tough, they expected a lot but gave little in return.Colleagues were the best part of the job, made lifelong friends and made work a lot more enjoyable.
Great Crew, Great Management, Awesome Hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC31 October 2018
Started out in the Dish pit and worked my way up to Plating with in the first few months.

Good for those that need an evening job, as its hours are generally from 4pm to 11pm.

Hardest part of the job is holidays, as those will put you through stress tests like you wouldn't believe.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the energy and atmosphere.

Got to know the crew back in 2014 and worked with them for five months.
Pros
Food is amazing, Management is the best, Location is close to the busloop on Prideaux
Fun place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 September 2018
Great people fun environment, opportunity for advancement, extremely flexible schedule. If you can handle a high stress face paced environment it is a great job
Good company to work for
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 July 2018
Good company to work for. Suited for young adults who can work nights and be on their feet in a fast-paced, always evolving environment.

Not suited for those who want a slower paced job.
Pros
Good pay
Ok for part-time
Line cook / Expediter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2018
This job is ok while your in school or just want some extra cash. They do what they can to make sure you don't get benefits. worked for 5 years and make minimum wage.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
no chance to further career
Official response from The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
27 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We offer comprehensive benefit packages to our full time staff and managers, we'd appreciate an opportunity to discuss with you further any issues you may be having- please e-mail us at humanresources@kegrestaurants.com

Fast paced environment, good for training employees in the kitchen, and great food
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 March 2018
The workplace environment was good, and the food was great. Frequent staff events throughout the year helped to keep team morale and cohesion high. Would recommend.
fun
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 January 2018
its one of the best and fun places to work on and the co workers are very friendly and the management is very good so its a really good place to work for
Friendly work place
Line cook/Sauté Cook (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 December 2017
Arrive around 3:30-4pm, Start around 4-5pm (depending on the day), go on-line and mae sure I had everything needed for a night of cooking, know where my backups are and how much is left. Depending on the day, I might have been there before the rush and do this. Others it's straight into work, picking up into the line without disrupting the line, while knowing whats in, what needs to be in and what needs to be out and gone. Cook till generally about 8:30-9ish Sunday to Thursday, Friday and Saturday would usually be about 10-10:30. After the main rush was over or close to the end of the night, line breakdown would start to begin the close. First the hot stations would be turned off and put into new cold cooling inserts. Then the drawers that held the food that was to be cooked that was left over from the night were covered up and put into the cooler. On-line fridge, freezer, hot drawers and hot sham followed suit. General cleaning and daily tasks would be completed along with all closing duties. Sunday through Thursday would leave around 10:30-11, Friday Saturday at midnight. Learn how to deepfry a few things, sauté vegetables, seafood and other meats as well as sear fish. A small amount of grilling meat to different rarities. Management was alright, though a fair amount of favoritism was definetly shown. Hardest part of the job was judging when to actually start closing down for the night, while the most enjoyable was the sense of team almost family within the different parts of staff.
Pros
Free bread, fries and baed potatoes and 40% off food
Cons
Unpredictable hours
awful
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON11 May 2017
Never been treated worse in my life at any job. I took one personal day my whole time I was there and when I did they permanently cut my shifts. They are emotionally abusive.
Great place to work for
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON14 September 2016
I would work for them again anytime, I was unable to continue my employment with them because of family obligations. However with that said I am ready return to the workplace now my obligations have been met.
decent place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 August 2016
worked there for a year and a half as the grill cook. left because i found new emplyment with better pay. was a good kitchen to work in and make some good friends and learned alot.
A fun fast paced environment filled with friendly staff.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2016
I've always enjoyed working at The Keg and continue to still enjoy working there, however one of the small downsides to the job is the unsteady hours throughout the year (the slow summers specifically) and I am in search of additional employment.
Pros
Employee Discounts, Great Staff, Positive Work Environment
Cons
Long hours, Late nights
Fun job great learning experience
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 August 2015
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a good experience for me, I learned many diverse skills and the job developed me into a hard working, disciplined individual. The restaurant is always busy so I acquired a stamina and tolerance for intense situations that would be both physically and mentally demanding. The Keg is unlike any kitchen I have worked in. It operates like a factory, they have a good production line, the managers are very professional, everyone has a system and unique role in the company and they compliment each other. I really enjoyed the fast paced environment and producing good food, as well as working together with a competent team of hard working staff.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay and hours
No opportunity for advancement, Long hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 January 2015
Mostly evenings and weekend work due to that being busy time.
Working every holiday.
Little time off.
Random work schedule. (eg nights, days)
Minimum wage
no raises
dangerous

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Keg Steakhouse + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2