The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews for Dining Room Server

Amazing place to work, quite fun, can be stressful
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2019
Work mainly evenings and weekends. Takes time away from my social life, however you develop a different kind of social life from working in this type of environment. Your co-workers become a family where you're accepted and appreciated. They have many social events and sports tournaments that all the employees and managers get to participate in and get to know one another much better.

It's a very fun working atmosphere that can also be very high-paced and stressful at times depending on the season. Management does definitely make work easier as they are there to help you in any way that is needed.

I've been able to grow as a person since I started working here, giving me many opportunities to take some time off to go explore the world and to travel. They are a company that likes to have people that are constantly working to better themselves and it's a great blessing to have.
Professional and Trustworthy Work Environment
Dining Room Server and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 June 2019
The Keg management team gives me the freedom and trust to perform my job to the best of my abilities. Hours are flexible which has helped me pursue other life goals and experiences. A recommended company to work for.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Positive work environment
Rewarding Workplace with fantastic people
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 February 2019
The Keg was the best possible job I could have had while I was a student. The scheduling was very flexible, allowing me to coordinate my school and work schedules with ease.

While at work, everyone works hard and as a team, from the hosts all the way to the dishwashers. Everyone I worked with were pleasant and I made many friends during my time there.

The work itself was fast-paced and very rewarding. Whilst only getting paid minimum wage, there was a huge opportunity for making supplementary income via tips.

The training was some of the longest I've had in my serving career, but you hit the floor confident in both food and drink knowledge. Managers also keep you up-to-date on product changes, as well as quiz you to ensure you continue to know your stuff.
Pros
Great culture, great money
Cons
Long nights, no breaks
Busy fast paced atmosphere with high standards
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2019
No surprises with this multi franchise restaurant.

Great training and job description outlined.

High standards and good quality for such a large volume establishment.

Perhaps too young of staff hired with emphasis on appearance rather than skill.
Pros
Recognition for job well done.
Cons
Favoritism is obvious and results in animosity amongst employees.
A Close Knitted Work Family Makes Work Feel More Enjoyable
Dining Room and Cocktail Server (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON6 February 2019
I have worked at The Keg for over four years. Although there are nights where you have difficult tables, it's the workplace culture that gives it it's own unique experience. You become a part of a family working at The Keg, where everyone supports one another, and coming into work can be enjoyable. Furthermore, the hours are not as long, as we typically close around midnight or 1am. It is tolerable and appropriate for a steakhouse. Management is very relatable and easy to talk to, yet they still maintain their professional stance.
Pros
Employee Discount, Fun and Relatable Management
Cons
Uniforms Could Use Some Work
Best Company Ever!
DINING ROOM SERVER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 December 2018
I loved working for The Keg. High energy environment with amazing staff. Their most important rule is ensuring that the customer has the Best Customer Experience and that's what makes all our customers coming back!
Fun place to work
Dining room server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 November 2018
Fun people
Great food,
Great service and amazing place to work.
They treat staffs very well.
People are well trained and very knowledgeable about the food, wine, what they do.
Great Employer
Dining Room Server, Bartender (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 August 2018
Working for the Keg is great, I have made many new friends working there for the past 3 years. I worked at The Keg previously and decided to go back. Highly Recommend
Great
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC8 June 2018
Great place to work, I have always had a amazing time working at the Keg and would recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is nice to work with great staff
One of the best places I've ever worked
DINING ROOM SERVER (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB1 May 2018
This company is one of the best managed, personnel friendly companies I've ever been a part of. The management team is unreal and does everything they can to keep a happy staff
Enjoyable part of the Job
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 September 2017
The different relationships you make with your guests and colleagues are relationships you truly have for a lifetime. You also make very good money in a short about of time, so it is great if you are in school as a part time job.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Disfunctional workplace / management
Productive, fun place to work, great team work
Dining Room Server and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 June 2017
A typical day as a dining room server at the keg includes getting your section ready by polishing all glassware, steak knives, plates and ensuring it is clean and ready to serve your guest for the evening. I have learned many things working at the Keg. I have become a wine specialist, I have great product knowledge and I also train in the dining room. We have a fantastic management team and we are like a big family at the keg. Lots of us stay after work to enjoy dinner and a glass of wine all together. The hardest part of my job is how long and hard you have to work on your feet without taking breaks for hours at a time. For example on a busy evening like New Years Eve, you do not stop for 7-9 hours at least. The most enjoyable part of my job is serving different guests all the time, getting to meet new people and making someone's day a great one. Love the social aspect of my job.
Pros
Great staff discounts, staff incentives and many staff events
Cons
Long hours on your feet and money is inconsistent
Great social atmosphere, great money
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 April 2017
Everyday is a new start, no day is alike. For this reason, it's always fun to come in and see what the day has in store. The money is usually always great, and the team is even better! I've made some of my closest friends here. One thing is for sure, 'boring' does not exist here!
Great Restaurant Environment
DINING ROOM SERVER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 October 2016
Mostly evenings and weekends
Regular server duties
Wine and steak knowledge are very important
Great staff with a focus on team environment
Lots of fun company outings and activities
Productive and fun workplace
Dining room server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2016
The Keg was a very fast paced work enviornment.I learned a lot about time managment and how to deal with any situations that arose.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Dining room server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2015
Most of my work days consist of 14 hour days. I love the people that I work with but I am looking for something a bit more stable in terms of finances. I want to be challenged and I would like to be learning something new everyday.
Pros
Benifits/tips
Cons
longs hours
love it
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON2 October 2014
great people
fast money
amazing mgmt
4 tbl sections
large cheques
very accommodating with second jobs
Pros
positive atmosphere
Cons
lots of products to no
Team bonding and endless networking opportunities
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON19 March 2013
A typical day at work begins with ensuring my uniform is neat and tidy, checking the message board for recent news, updates and our specials for the evening. Also, each server is responsible for checking our designated table sections to ensure they are ready for guests.
Weekends are our busiest days of the week, so servers are constantly on the go; greeting tables, ensuring effective communication at all times with the guest, meeting our guest experience times, demonstrating team work to support co-workers and illustrating best practice to ensure all needs of guests are met.
The most difficult part of the job is maintaining stress level when guests have numerous needs that demand more attention than most. However, these situations become opportunities to problem solve and time manage effectively.
The most enjoyable part of working at The Keg is the staff. I am a people person, and The Keg provides opportunities for team bonding. It is important to know who you are working with to better work as a team. I also enjoy working at The Keg because of all the people I meet. I am enahncing my customer service skills daily.
Overall, The Keg has an amazing team atmosphere, strong managment and has taught me what to look for in a company as I search for a career.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
hard on the feet
Potential to make money,but inconsistent and lacking in opportunity
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON1 June 2012
-average serving job
-expected to have extensive knowledge of steak, wine, etc.
-managers were average at times quite disconnected
-co-workers: the keg fuels a selfishness among servers, if you are not watching out for yourself you don't make any money, a large cut of your tips is given to the other hourly staff in place of the keg paying them a fair wage...it is somewhat ridiculous
-they do not offer full-time status for servers, even for individuals working 30-40 hours a week consistently