The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

High Expectations Low Reward
Host (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2019
I enjoy working at the keg and interacting with the guests. The expectations are extremely high for everyone and the training is very good. Even if you work really hard and get recognized for that they still dangle the promise of a raise or promotion in the future which never comes.

Very hard to get promoted & very cliquey coworkers.

Overall a good job if you are young, still in school & don't care much about the social politics at work
Job at Keg
Food Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2019
Atmosphere is very relaxed. Little to no management in the morning for back of house and they trust you to do what you need to do. Little to no micromanaging. Able to relax and eat after a shift.

Only down side is it is very cliquey. Many people have stayed for years and have kept their small friend groups. If you don't care about social politics then it won't bother you.

Lots of staff partes.
Horrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2019
I worked for the Keg full time for over 6 months in hopes of getting benefits and they fired me right before I was eligible. It’s impossible to get benefits as a server. If management doesn’t like you, they don’t even need to have a good reason to lay you off as long as they pay you one week’s worth of pay, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it unless you can afford a lawyer. The Keg was good when I first started, then a new manager got more power and he started taking over the schedules. He plays favouritism and gives people he like more shifts and better sections. He also gets wasted at the Keg bar after work and on his days off. At the Keg cup this year he got smashed and inappropriately touched one of the staff. This manager is also condescending and yells at staff, I’ve seen him get into arguments with multiple staff. Management will always cover up for each other and if you ever bring anything up, then you’ll be on the chopping block which was what happened in my case.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Horrible management
Official response from The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
26 August 2019

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the details in your review. We have a zero tolerance policy to any form of harassment or inappropriate behavior. Please contact us at humanresources@kegrestaurants.com.

Hosting At The Keg
Lead Host/Lunch Host/Bar Host (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2019
Enjoy my job at the keg, but the hours are not enough to be able to support Myself. Promises from managers to be moved up in restaurant are not always delivered as promised leaving staff upset and unfulfilled. Care more about your ability to smile at customers than any other quality you may have regardless of having a strong work ethic and other strong attributes.
Really care about customer service, but do not always back up their staff as they are affraid of being reported to head office regardless of how rude a customer may be to you.
Do their very best to respect your requested days off.
Generally a very pleasant place to work with friendly staff and managers.
Great staff deals for food after your shift with many menu options costing you only $10.
Helps to teach you how to interact and greet customers professionally.
Pros
Treated well and respectfully
Cons
Not many hours and managers are unable to follow through on their promises
Leading company in the industry
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto18 March 2019
A great company to be employed for but definitely with it's ups and downs. The staff can be very entitled but some are also delightful to work with. A great company for younger managers to start.
Busy fast paced atmosphere with high standards
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2019
No surprises with this multi franchise restaurant.

Great training and job description outlined.

High standards and good quality for such a large volume establishment.

Perhaps too young of staff hired with emphasis on appearance rather than skill.
Pros
Recognition for job well done.
Cons
Favoritism is obvious and results in animosity amongst employees.
Felt like a family
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2019
The Keg felt like a family since day one. the managers have such great training. I was trained in all departments (as well as all other employees) so we all knew what each other did and how difficult it could get. everyone helps each other to keep things moving smoothly.
hostess
Host (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2019
Skills are not too hard to get the hang of. Customer service skills, how to talk to guests and overall friendliness is needed when being the first person guests see when coming into the keg.
Pros
tips
Cons
no breaks, given no end time
Great company to work for!
Lounge Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2019
Great company to work for! Management is amazing and they treat their staff family. Training is top notch, and they make sure you are set up for success. Lots of room to grow.
Amazing place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2018
Hands down top company in canada to work for. Such a family orented company. Always looming to better you as an employee. Always having available needs for you to grow in the company
Unbalanced work/life
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
It was really good working at the keg I met a lot of people and they all thought me a lot of thing about cooking and I feel like I can use all those things in my life. The reason why I said life/work was unbalanced its because I had school and 2 jobs it was hard to manage at the age of 17.
Great company to work for
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
Team played day to day work environment. Constant support from management team and co-workers. A caring team, almost like working with family every day.
good training
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
Good training about procedures and code allowed for success at this job. As well good management and staff allowed for a pleasant work environment.
good staff meals.
Official response from The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
27 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're sure you added to the positive work environment and hope that although you no longer work for us, you come and visit often.

amazing and positive work environment
Bartender, Cocktail Server/Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
fantastic staff.
learned efficient and thorough server and bartender skills that i carried on to further job placements with other companies.
well structured and organized work environment
high standards for food preperation and delivery, always making sure the guest is 100 percent happy
well organized and balanced company to work for
Pros
fantastic staff
Cons
small server sections
Best restaurant I ever worked for
Server/Bartender/Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2018
Best people, they care about their employees. I became a better person working here. Kegger culture is something that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. Busy, lots of money to make.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, free food
Felt overworked, underpaid
Meal Prep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
Often felt overworked and underpaid. Felt that the kitchen was understaffed. Day started very early, often did not take a break in order to avoid staying more than 8 hours. Went home completely drained.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Long hours, exhausting.
Bartender's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2018
This is a great place and im writing this because it is required. They are making me write even more about this review fortunately the minimum amount is 150 so now im done.
its a fun workplace
Bartender and Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
I enjoyed the culture and the environment however business picked up very slowly and the work simply was not there for a lot of us, requiring many to get second jobs.
Pros
the people
Amazing place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2018
The keg is an amazing place to work. The culture and the friendships you make at the keg with coworkers and even guest are just magical.

Food is amazing.. can't forget that
Pros
Amazing company to work for. Lots of perks being front of house as well as back of house
Cons
No cons
overall good place to work
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2018
Good work environment, a lot of team work and collaboration. Hours are long in the sense that you don't have a certain end time and a lot of working on your feet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Keg Steakhouse + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3