The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Disgusting owner
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2019
He bullied all the staff.. he cares about making money. He dont care about staff. He is not worth it, do not apply 130 ave Se at The Keg Steakhouse. Horrible working there with owner everyday
Lots of politics involved
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2019
Need to always be present or youll have a hard time working there. Hard to work your way up if you dont have close connections with management. Job deals with a lot of politics
Official response from The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
18 November 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We'd love an opportunity to follow up with some of the issues you've mentioned, please e-mail us at HumanResources@kegrestaurants.com.

Fun Workplace
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2018
Excellent work culture. Great place to work while in school or attempting to work two jobs. They are very flexible and understanding and cooperative.

It's a fun place to work, with many staff events, and teams to help create a sense of teamwork.
Pros
excellent staff discount and flexibility
Cons
no benefits
Great
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2018
Absolutely great place to work. Money is great. team work is awesome. managers do care for staff. lots of traning available. Overall it is amazing and I recommend it
Fun workplace
Trainer & Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2018
Perfect for attending school and working full time, super flexible. Very accommodating. Great, fun place to work. Excellent company, and team events and experiences to be shared.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no benefits
Looks great on the outside.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2018
A very much "Boy's club" atmosphere. unless you are willing to eat, drink and participate in the lifestyle of a bar, longevity is not where the Keg is. Work in the keg through management for numerous years, but advancement is hard unless you are wanting to be one of the party boys. Better for staff, than mangement.
"Family" Environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2018
I enjoyed this job mostly for the management and the staff i was working with... we were all committed to excellence and all had such a strong bond! Very inclusive.
Great place to work for students
Bartender & Bar Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2017
Excellent place to work while in university. I learned a lot about working independently and as a team. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
long and late hours
Good
Host (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2017
Work life is good, awesome staff and great management. They highly value their employees and make sure they strive to achieve the best they can and make sure they get the best success.
Amazing place to work at.
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2017
Fantastic people to work with, and management is very effective and helpful. The long hours constantly talking to people can be very exhausting however, and relying on tips is not a secure way to make a living.
Pros
Discounted Food while working
Cons
Late hours
Fun
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
I liked working at Keg Steakhouse It was the most amazing job i never had. People were friendly, anything you asked from the manager or the chef you'll be answer always there if you need help.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Hours
Professional workplace, comfortable atmosphere
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
Fast paced work environment providing competitive sales opportunities, skills in time management, ongoing opportunities to grow rapport and interpersonal relationships with both staff and customers. High expectations to meet and exceed job requirements without stress on job security.
Great part-time job that worked well with my school schedule.
Bus person (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Was able to book shifts according to my school schedule. Was able to trade and pick up shifts. This flexibility was important for me as I have a varied athletic schedule as well. Work requirements were OK. Received a percentage of the tips.
Great place to get started in the industry!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2016
Great training program, room to move around and explore other positions, good management structure. You can work as little or as much as you want usually.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Young Employees
Easy going job
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
Come in for your shift, seated guests, took phone calls, and ensured guests came and left satisfied. Ensured menus were cleaned and wiped down, friendly service, and worked as a team.
Great atmosphere
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2016
Fun place to work with many opportunities to grow. Awesome team of people who were very positive to work around.
Learnt many things about the industry
Excellent Work Environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2016
My job includes bring patrons to their tables, taking reservations in person and over the phone, ensuring washrooms and lobby areas stay tidy, and occasionally cleaning tables or running food. My co-workers are great to work alongside, as is management. Everyone is friendly and easy to get along with. the most difficult part of the job is to assign guests to tables in a specific order as to not overload server sections. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with and meet so many new people.
Excellent experience, Learned a lot and enjoyed it, time for a change
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2015
Started when I was in high school and worked there through college in Calgary until I moved up to more fine dining. I always enjoyed going to work, met tonnes of great people and when I moved to Edmonton I knew it was a great company so returned. Worked as both a server and Head bartender for a number of years and then took a break to try a different industry. The Keg trained me very well, and I will always be thankful to management and the great staff.
Career Job Opportunity
Variable Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2015
Had I not moved to Toronto so recently, I would have pursued a life long career with The Keg Steakhouse & Bar. My days spent managing with The Keg were very busy. I generally would open the restaurant and start with an exterior walk ensuring the property is free of garbage and debris, then move my way inside. Once inside, I would check all the dish washer chemicals to ensure they meet health and safety standards. I then would begin to adjust the atmosphere of the restaurant, this includes dimming the lights, turning on the televisions, and putting on the music for the dinning room, bar, and patio. I worked very heavily alongside my coworkers as I would have to be there at anytime when needed or asked. Whether it be a happy or unhappy guest, an allergy concern that I'd need to address, or having to problem solve on the spot such as needing more sour cream and running to a nearby grocery store and stocking up to finish dinner service, I was always the last man standing. A fixed point that would always be there readily available. Once dinner service was complete and the restaurant was clean and clear, I would then cash out my servers and tip them to the dollar, exactly how much we owed them. The hardest part of my job would have to been the day I handed my letter of resignation to pursue a career, a potentially new job opportunity, in a new city in Toronto.
Pros
Free meals, great and very competitive wages, benefits
Good people, good food, but has all the problems associated with a resturaunt
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2014
all in all the staff i work with are good people but they don't have a lot of goals set for themselves I.E. they think they can work in a kitchen for the rest of their lives... my main problem was that i had been working in kitchens for a long time and was seeking another field. however it being a restaurant the managers always send you home early to save on "labour" so they get their bonus at the end of the year its crooked but you cant really do anything about it.
Pros
Good hours, Discounted meals, close to home
Cons
unstable hours, despite being a fulltime position 40 hours never achieved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Keg Steakhouse + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3