The Keg Steakhouse + Bar
Happiness score is 68 out of 100

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews

Great restaurant to work at

The best restaurant I’ve worked at as a line cook or any cooking job I’ve had within my 9 years of experience. The pay is great and the people are great as well.

Not what I expected

Worked there when it opened until recently and never felt like any advancement was going to happen my boss had never worked in or ran a kitchen before so it was hard for him to understand how hard we were all working

Pros

No free meals

Cons

Long shifts

Stressful and discouraging at times

The job itself isn’t bad but it’s very poorly run . Extremely stressful environment and you are rarely felt appreciated . There is a great staff that work extremely hard but management is where that place fails . Could be and was a much better place to work before new management took over . Equipment is broken and place is getting very grungy .

Pros

great tips

Cons

Unfair pay Long hours no breaks

I love my job

This is the greatest job I’ve had the staff and management are amazing I always have a good time working. The job interview process was so fast I was surprised I was surprised that I got the job a few days later

Pros

Free fries flexible hours

Cons

Servers take things that aren’t theirs

I love it

They are so kind and helpful and respectful The learning me everything They pay on time Management and staff so kind and helpful They take care of everything

Pros

Free food

Best job ever.

The only downfall working for The Keg is that any job after won’t even compare to it. The management team is amazing, the employees are all super close, even with keggers from other kegs. You’ll never want to leave.

Pros

Benefits, discount, pay

Cons

Hard on you physically

Stepping stone to the world

The Keg is one of those places everyone knows as consistent and a great service. That's because the Keg puts a lot of work into their people. This life is not for everyone... late nights and no weekends, but wow does it create a well rounded person in those who take it seriously.The things you take away from this company is passion, teamwork, dealing with all kinds of stresses and culture!!! What a place!

Pros

Culture, a sense of belonging

Cons

Hours and worklife balance

Best place I have worked

They are so supportive, inclusive and it’s a really fun place to work. It is very social and there’s so many avenues to progress your career. Incredible place to work!

Great Place for students part-time

I started working at the Keg when I took a year to work after High School and I never thought I would love going to work at a part time job. The atmosphere of a busy restaurant is so great and the people I worked with made going into work even better. I started as a Busser and after about three months I started to transition to a hostessing role. The hardest part of the job is if you are "Head Host" but managers are great at preparing you for that role and ensure you are ready for it as a good head host can earn the restaurant a few hundred bucks per night. The best part is when the restaurant gets busy and you look at your watch and your shift is almost over. Time literally flies. One of the worst parts is there are no end times. you are at the mercy of the managers to allow you to go home. if a manager gets busy you might be there for a while.

Pros

great atmosphere, heavy discounts and free food when working

Cons

you probably have to work on Holidays (Christmas Eve, New Years, Thanksgiving) No end time.

Competent staff, poor management

The specific Keg I worked at was not the best work environment. There is an insane amount of drama and tension among the employees no matter whether you’re working FOH or BOH. The management fluctuates between amazing and hilariously bad. The Niagara Falls Keg is insanely busy and you’re open much later than any other Keg (12-12:30) and the bar is open even later. There is no auto-grat for the servers despite the huge amount of international travellers and gift cards we receive, but you’re still expected to tip out a decent amount. There are a LOT of employees, so it usually runs pretty smooth, but when it’s bad it’s BAD. New Years Eve is probably the worst bc the hotel that the Keg is in sells prepaid meals as part of a package, which means most of ur tables don’t pay, complain about needing to pay for drinks or items not included, and leave a terrible tip, if they leave anything at all. Perhaps the most annoying though is that when you tell management your schedule, they don’t always obey. For example if you have late classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays so you grey those out, you will be booked on those days and it’s up to you to find a replacement. If you request a day off, it’s never guaranteed, and it’s almost impossible to get Saturdays off.Perhaps the most telling about this Keg, however, is that I have YET to receive a call back to work after the second lockdown (despite emailing several times to confirm that I am still available to work and am decently high in seniority) but they have this add up asking for NEW servers.

Pros

Decent work environment, Keg and hotel discount, competent staff

Cons

Long hours, bad tips, poor management

Amazing

I recently started working at the keg, and i’ve had nothing but amazing experiences. I love the people, the job and the environment. Management is so understanding and do their best to make things work. never worked anywhere better

Pros

Staff discounted menu, flexible hours, great coworkers

Cons

long hours standing

Best restaurant

This is by far the best restaurant I’ve ever worked at, I have worked at 5 different restaurants and no one else compares to the keg! They treat their employees with respect and pay well!

They value their employees

Well-run restaurant, they have it down to a science. Minimal side-work compared to other corporate restaurants. 4-6 table sections, great tips. They really try to encourage a great culture and employee friendships. Discounted food and alcohol offered after shifts. THE most flexible scheduling I've ever seen... at any job! Team-building staff events seasonally. Employee recognition and sales competitions offered as well.

Productive during slow nights

We’d get a lot of working done when management wasn’t yelling at us. As a busser we were basically at “the bottom of the food chain” and treated like dirt most of the time. Management would put really strict rules on the bussers and wouldn’t say anything about anyone else’s roles in the restaurant

Pros

Free salads and bread

Cons

Management has their favourites and it shows, Pay isn’t good considering all the work the bussers do, Don’t get paid over time, Sexist, Hours are also not good

Excellent job

Would recommend for anyone, very friendly and team oriented. Very understanding of school and other jobs. Owners were great and friendly. Great teamwork.

18 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We also love the teamwork at The Keg - we are so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. Remember, once you are a Kegger, you are a Kegger for life! Visit us often.

Good experience

I took the job at the Barrie keg as a host with prior serving experience after being promised quick advancement into a serving position. A year and a half later after no advancements, I had to quit. The fast turnover in management at the Keg suggests a lot about the quality and culture of the restaurant. Overall, accept the job as you will enjoy yourself and the perks it can bring BUT don't count on advancements or the management as you will be let down. You will learn a lot about the industry, be prepared for long shifts 8-9 hours or sometimes less than 3, depends on the night.

Pros

discounts

Cons

not many hours available especially to new employees

Terrible management

When I first started at the Keg it was a great place to work with a great family environment. It was my favorite Job for many years! Some of the managers would organize events like Keg Cup, Softball and ball hockey. They cared about their employees, would buy them a meal at the end of a hard shift, would talk with you one on one about life and promotion. The managers really cared at one point here and it was amazing while they were here. Then they decided to move these managers to different locations, bringing in new management that have no idea what they are doing. Not only that but they don't care about their staff. They will use you and abuse you while dangling a promotion/raise in your face. Working here quickly became incredibly depressing, having to work for people who dont care about you. then making you train people from outside of the company to do the job you've been working toward for years.To make things "feel" better they hand out a yearly manager review to give you the sense that they are listening. only for you to later find out they will do nothing as a result of them.

Pros

nothing

Cons

disgusting management

18 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We understand a change in management can be tough on both staff and managers as they navigate the new personalities, new store and new staff. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention, we want to make sure all of our staff feel supported at work.

Condesending and Hypocritical

I worked at an Edmonton location for a year and a half. Management is extremely condesending and hypocrital. They play favourites at this location. They threatened to fire multiple people when coming back from the pandemic because they refused to schedule them. If you aren't a skinny, blonde/brunette with a poor attitude and money you won't be accepted by management.

Cons

Horrible Management

5 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We'd appreciate the opportunity to look into the matters you bring up here. Please contact us at humanresources@kegrestaurants.com

Wonderful place to work, loads of opportunity for advancement

I love working at the keg! The people are wonderful, and super helpful. If you ever are struggling you never feel bad for asking. Management is super helpful and will help you do your job when it’s busy. Great discount on food.

Pros

Free carbs, great environment, opportunity to move up, great and understanding management, great discount.

Cons

Unpredictable schedule at first, very fast paced on some days, slow on others

Good company to start for young budding cooks

It's a good job for young budding cooks to start with. Work is pretty well structured and recipes are easy to follow. The people I worked with in St. John's, NL and later on in Calgary are great and awesome. The experience I have acquired allowed me to be able to master cooking steaks on large volume. Company is pretty stable but the hours you get depends on the volume and sales like all restaurants are.

Pros

Company is stable and people are awesome. Good for young professionals and budding cooks.

Cons

Working hours are not stable like all restaurants are.

Very enjoyable place to work.

The keg was a great, high energy, fun restaurant to work at. The employees needed to know a lot of information about the food but management was great, staff and staff parties were awesome, and the discount was good. Over all Great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Keg Steakhouse + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2