The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Employee Reviews

Here for a good time, not a long time.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 February 2018
Everything you have come to expect from working at a franchise restaurant. Slightly better than average as much of the food does not come from a can. Good place to work but not for a career.
Pros
Real food. Corporate events are great.
Cons
Hard work not reflected on pay check
productive fun place to work
Street - Busser, Expo, Host (Current Employee) –  North Delta, BC10 February 2018
The keg has given me more growth opportunities then i could imagine, and still challenges me in the best ways. I have learned more about myself from working in this company while being around such a great environment, and i'm grateful for it.
Fun and family like workplace
Busboy/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC30 January 2018
Fun workplace with large staff if a very respected restaurant. Employees are challenged to always maintain high standards while on the job. Managers that are always present and helping
Perfect balance of Work to Fun
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 January 2018
Always a great atmosphere balanced with fun and seriousness. Jobs don't require too much training to learn and become proficient at, which allows opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Lots of staff events
Cons
Longer hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays
Flexible schedule
Busser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2018
Fast paced with a good atmosphere most of the time. People tend to be under stress more often than other types of occupations as the deadlines are constant and the tasks that are needed to be done are numerous.
Kind Managers, Fun Staff
Prep Cook/Lunch Salad Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2018
They were very caring and easy to work for. The managers were always willing to listen and work with you to find solutions. The staff had a really good rapport.
Pros
Free bread and salad
Cons
Busy
Great work place
Variable Manager/ Waiter (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 January 2018
Good company to work for, great work experience and everyone working in the company works as a team with everyone working together all day long all the time.
One of my favourite restaurants to work in so far
Server/Busser (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 January 2018
As a busser at The Keg, times can be tough both during busy seasons (prepare to be slammed) and the quiet months (prepare to be cut early), yet so far it's been greatly enjoyable. Everyone works together to cultivate a friendly work environment, and all the employees seem genuinely happy to be working there, which isn't something you see everyday. The possibility for advancement is strong if you can show the management what you can do, and it's easy to talk with everyone there, from the management to the dishwashers.
overall good place to work
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2018
Good work environment, a lot of team work and collaboration. Hours are long in the sense that you don't have a certain end time and a lot of working on your feet.
the keg is great for young adults
1st Cook (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 January 2018
the keg is great to learn about the workings of a large restaurant so makes great experience for young people who are interested in the food service industry
Pros
cheap beer
Cons
hard work
fun
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 January 2018
its one of the best and fun places to work on and the co workers are very friendly and the management is very good so its a really good place to work for
Wonderful work environment
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 December 2017
I loved the management, they were very understanding and loving, and always treated their staff like gold. My only complaint would be that I worked at the time where our mandatory dress code was extremely short, and revealing. Aside from that, I absolutely loved my job at the Keg, I would recommend work here to anyone.
Great place to work for students
Bartender & Bar Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2017
Excellent place to work while in university. I learned a lot about working independently and as a team. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
long and late hours
Productive job, great people and room for growth
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2017
I have been working at the keg since the age of 16 and I can not say that there's no other place for room for growth. If I had to pick between corporate or franchise I'd definitely pick a franchise. It's unfortunate that if you hit overtime, the excess hours will be added to next week's pay. Eligibility for benefits is hard to obtain unless your full time in the manager's opinion.
Pros
Discounts, Room for growth, Consistent food
Cons
Long hours, no breaks
Fun and structured place to work
Busser, Stockroom organizer (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 December 2017
The Keg is an amazing place to work, the staff is fun and amazing to work with and the managers are always there to help and support you. I recommend the keg to anyone looking to build work experience in a safe and fun place.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Can get very busy
Friendly work place
Line cook/Sauté Cook (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 December 2017
Arrive around 3:30-4pm, Start around 4-5pm (depending on the day), go on-line and mae sure I had everything needed for a night of cooking, know where my backups are and how much is left. Depending on the day, I might have been there before the rush and do this. Others it's straight into work, picking up into the line without disrupting the line, while knowing whats in, what needs to be in and what needs to be out and gone. Cook till generally about 8:30-9ish Sunday to Thursday, Friday and Saturday would usually be about 10-10:30. After the main rush was over or close to the end of the night, line breakdown would start to begin the close. First the hot stations would be turned off and put into new cold cooling inserts. Then the drawers that held the food that was to be cooked that was left over from the night were covered up and put into the cooler. On-line fridge, freezer, hot drawers and hot sham followed suit. General cleaning and daily tasks would be completed along with all closing duties. Sunday through Thursday would leave around 10:30-11, Friday Saturday at midnight. Learn how to deepfry a few things, sauté vegetables, seafood and other meats as well as sear fish. A small amount of grilling meat to different rarities. Management was alright, though a fair amount of favoritism was definetly shown. Hardest part of the job was judging when to actually start closing down for the night, while the most enjoyable was the sense of team almost family within the different parts of staff.
Pros
Free bread, fries and baed potatoes and 40% off food
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Great Job with wonderful people
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 December 2017
The keg is a great place to work, however, you cannot rely on a hosting job to be your only source of income. Everyone is very nice, especially to new staff and the managers are very helpful.
Fast Paced and Fun
Waitressing (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2017
It's an excellent place to work with excellent people. It requires you to put your very best foot forward and you must be very knowledgable about restaurant life.
Pros
Discounted food. Great hours.
Cons
No breaks
An overall excellent company to work for.
Dishwasher/Prep (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB30 November 2017
The typical day of work is never dull, and you're always on the move. Co-workers are fun and energetic and so is the management. You're always invited to take part in work related events but never forced to do anything you're personally against. Management is very understanding and always tries to meet you in the middle. I'd have to say the hardest part of the job is getting so busy sometimes you can't get that little bit of extra stuff you wanted to get done for the next shift. Overall the whole job was very enjoyable.
Pros
Free Bread and dinner discount.
Cons
Nights can go late if it gets really busy.
Tips
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 November 2017
The really nice thing about the Keg is that even if you were working behind the scenes you would still receive a percentage of tips which i thought showed they cared more than other establishments.
Pros
free lunch and dinners
Cons
late nights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Keg Steakhouse + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3