The Immigrant Education Society Employee Reviews

Fun to work with
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2019
The company staff are very nice and they provided opportunities for volunteers to participate with others. I recommend that people to go volunteer with this company. Great!
Amezing
Help Desk & computer Training Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2019
The Calgary Immigrant Educational Society (CIES) is a non profit registered charitable organization established in 1988 with one primary goal: to provide Calgary immigrants and economically disadvantaged individuals with a solid foothold in Canada and afford them the opportunities to grow into productive, confident and contributive Canadians. CIES is governed by a Board of Directors made up of devoted community-minded volunteers and operates through funding from both government and private organizations. From our humble beginnings, CIES has grown from 5 volunteers in a single office to an employer of about 190 dedicated staff members and over 200 volunteers. CIES now operates and is in full ownership of two large facilities in Calgary’s SE Forest Lawn district and branch office in Calgary’s NE Whitehorn district. In August of 2018, CIES expanded its services to the Westwinds area of NE Calgary, where it offers LINC and employment classes. Since its inception, CIES has assisted over 250,000 clients to strengthen their identities as members of Alberta society, offering services valued at tens of millions of dollars.
21st century Hades.
"teacher" (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2019
I have had the misfortune to work here. The purpose appears to be to allow easier access for immigrants to the various social services available at all three levels of government. The management is non existent and often appears to have a limited knowledge of English plus zero knowledge of the Canadian job market. The students are for the most part pleasant but lacking in motivation and with a limited knowledge of any work ethic or any qualities such as punctuality. I would advise any prospective employees to regard employment here as a stop gap before entering a genuine teaching position.
Pros
Guest speakers are frequent
Busy time
Administrative Assistant / Receptionist, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2018
Last Christmas was especially busy for the company. We a;; agreed to stay an hour after the store closed, Not only did we get all the work done, I actually feel like the experience helped us ge closer as a team
Pros
one hour break
Cons
Stay all day
Productive and Fun workplace sorrounded with different races united as one.
Volunteered Part Time Admin Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2018
I find this workplace more interesting, I learned more about dealing with different kinds of people as I am on the Reception as point of Contact. I was able to do multi tasking which i enjoyed more.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
No salary as I am volunter
A good place to gain expreience
LINC Program coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
A typical day at work was interesting , because as an Intern I was doing something new everyday .The management is pretty good at making someone feel at home.
Pros
Lunch times
Wonderful Colleagues and Culture
English as a Second Language Teacher (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2017
CIES is a wonderful place to work because the people are amazing. The pay is better here than at some other schools, but technical issues are a challenge, like when laptops don't work or the photocopier is down. Staff and volunteers are constantly trying to make programs better and more efficient, they support each other in their personal and professional milestones, and I have always felt like I belonged.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Technical Issues
More development in all areas required
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary18 July 2015
CIES needs to be developed in all areas whether it is staff development, client relations, promoting a healthy work environment. Too many oversights and not a balanced or positive environment. Would not recommend.
Great team environment
Acting Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2014
Everyone compassionately working to help those in need. Very friendly environment. Management style is effective and employees are given opportunity to make decision and provide innovative ways for improvement.
Pros
Excellent team environment
Cons
Long commute to work
Flexible hours, a lot of autonomy
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2013
Provides opportunity for to improve ability to effectively communicate and connect with others
An essential service for immigrants preparing for job advancement or entry into gainful employment.
Teacher (English as a Second Language) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2012
This is one of the many associations that has been highly instrumental in removing the barriers to a better life in the way of the immigrant/refugee population in Calgary. The teaching teams provide a very productive atmosphere. Mutual help and cooperation is much in evidence. Although some problems exist in the area of communication between staff and management, this does not appear to affect the quality of the teaching delivered - and the students do not hesitate to show their appreciation.
Pros
considerable autonomy in planning curricula and lesson plans, well equipped staff room, computer lab and self-study facilities, good choice of teaching materials available.
Cons
as with most esl schools, there is generally only part time work is available, on a contract basis, very little job security