The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Difficult to get hired full time. Prepare to work for agency
Evergreening Technician / Information Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
I did enjoy working for the Hospital.
Difficult part is that a new employee is hired through not one, but two recruiting agencies which really leaves a person with minimum wage
A Hospital That Supports All families
Executive Receptionist (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2018
This company knows how to support those children and their families who need help whether it be for a short-term or long-term stay.

The hospital has a very positive and happy atmosphere for the children and all of the nurses and doctors care for each individual child. Their campaigns are so positive and effective which in turn supports the growth of the hospital.
Very friendly environment
BI Developer/Reports Developer/Application Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2018
working in this organisation for mre than 10 years, never realized how those 10 years passed. Management is very supportive and help in development of skills and advancement.
Great People, singular mission
Epic Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
The pay and ability to progress are limited but the people are great and everyone is most interested in providing the best quality of care for patients.
Amazing work environment with purpose
Medical Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2018
I found no greater joy than working at Sick Kids Hospital! It was great knowing that what I was doing was truly making a difference in the lives of others and that I impacted them in small way!
Cutting edge research facility
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2018
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is recognized as one of the world’s foremost paediatric health-care institutions and is Canada’s leading centre dedicated to advancing children’s health through the integration of patient care, research and education. Founded in 1875 and affiliated with the University of Toronto, SickKids is one of Canada’s most research-intensive hospitals and has generated discoveries that have helped children globally.
Great environment
SickKids (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2018
SickKids is truly a great environment to work in. Although it is a hospital, SickKids doesn't make it seem like one, as there are so much fun things going on around the hospital and it raises the mood
Management was unfortunately not very good at communicating and was not visible.
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2018
The organization has an excellent reputation which I completely agree with, however, the administrative leader who I reported to was not a good communicator (not visible on site, cancelled meetings, was not responsive to change/improvement).
Pros
Great healthcare, great reputation.
Cons
Little flexibility and very heavy workload (not evenly distributes)
Excellent Environment, Unforgettable Experience
Child Life Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2018
I worked as a Child Life Volunteer within the hospital's play park, organizing and participating in activities with the children, offering respite for parents, and generally creating a positive environment for the kids to relax. It was the most fulfilling volunteer experience I have ever had.
Great Internship
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2018
I enjoyed my work at Sickkids. My internship supervisor really looked out for my personal and professional development and I learned a ton. I would recommend this to anyone.
intense but also exciting work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2018
working well with my other individuals. picking new skill sets pretty quickly and efficiently, always a team player whos looking for the betterment of the workplace
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Productive and fun place. Never a boring moment
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
- Intelligent, fantastic coworkers & supervisors.
- interesting projects to work on
- never a dull moment
- lots of things to learn and people to learn from
Pros
flexible hours, great colleagues, understanding management
Cons
Nothing, aside from the occasional crunch time to meet deadlines!
Productive place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2018
Productive and fun place to work. Team Environment

Friendly staff, flexible hours, very cooperartive

close to home, free lunches, free movie tickets
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
too much commute
poor management, low pay
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2018
Lowest paying hospital in downtown Toronto. Management is not receptive to changes/complaints. Sick calls not back filled and employees overworked. Scheduling is unfair.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
great supportive staff. Everyone is always friendly. great learning environment. Patient focus care is excellent at the hospital. Near the subway station
Pros
great staff
Great Place to Work
Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
Great work environment. Very collaborative. Unfortunately not much job security or advancement opportunities in non-clinical areas. Also, the pay for mid-management roles is not very competitive.
Pros
The People
Cons
The Compensation
work experience
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 January 2018
working for sick kids was an amazing experience
because I had the opportunity to help younger
shouldn’t obtain the support they needed for
their wellbeing. Its wasn’t easy but it was all
worth it.
Pros
Seeing little children suffer from their illness.
Cons
Being able to be a great support system.
Productive working environment
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2018
The Hospital for Sick Kids is a very well known health facility that brings a sense of hope and wonders to the life of children with different health risks and issues. It is easily accessible, clean and organized working environment for staff, patients and patient families. Everyone is helpful and kind.
A super high standard workplace
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 December 2017
You have to be 100% focused and ready to improve yourself if you work here. The workplace requires you to develop a great communication skill and interpersonal skills.
Pros
Feel like top in the country.
Cons
People are cold.
Not enjoyable (in my personal opinion)
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2017
The Hospital for Sick Children has a longstanding brand and reputation that makes it one of the most sought-after employers to work for in this country. Once you're there, however, there is little opportunity for advancement and they have everybody that's new on contracts. They typically do that for those who hard hired as "externals" and there is some stigmatization with being one, given that the majority of people working there have been working there for some 20+ years.
There is no problem with having a workplace with longstanding staff, but as an "external" it just doesn't seem that your views and contributions are valued as much. For an organization that says they value "accelerating impact", it is not an environment that fosters innovation from my experience. Clearly, this would all depend on your role but I get the sense that no one gives two hoots about what your views are as a newcomer. That is unfortunate but I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. I know this seems overly negative so I'll add the main "perks" of being a Sick Kids employee.

ADVANTAGES:
- location, easy to access through public transportation.
- working there is a work experience resume builder.

What could be improved:
- Mandated annual salary increases (as a contract worker, apparently you aren't even "entitled" to salary increases above the rate of inflation unless you ask your manager for it. Imagine how nervewracking that can be if you don't even know whether or not they will keep you on the job.
- Feeling "valued" for your contributions
- Increased opportunities to meet
  more... with other department staff and network.. would be nice.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hospital for Sick Children. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3