The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Busy
Patient Information Clerk - Plastic Surgery Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2017
Busy day and the hardest part is not being recognized for the job you do. Not everyone is viewed in the same eye, the best part of working there is seeing a smile on the children face and the family at the end of the day.
Volunteer
Volunteer Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 September 2017
It was a volunteer job I did. We washed cars and sold toys for Sick Kids.The people running the even were nice enough. Work and Life got in the way so I couldn't do it again.
Very Positive work environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2017
While doing my Co-op placement at Sickkids, I not only learned so much about what i want to do in my future i learned a lot about myself. It was such an amazing experience as i got to experience my possible career choice all up close. The people there made my time there absolutely amazing. I worked with kids ages of 0 days old to 18 years of age. I didn't get to tend to their medical needs but i did get to help the patients and their families get used to a hospital environment, as well as played with the patients and gave the parents a break if needed. I hope to work here in the future, my time here was amazing and i can't wait to be back to volunteer.
productive and fun work environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Learned many new skills, supervisors were extremely supportive and encouraging. Fun and safe work environment. Many smiling faces from both staff and patient.
Perfect
Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2017
It was great working for Sick Kids, a great experience. Learned a lot about the hospital, workplace culture. Learned how to work new system and appreciated the leadership.
Amazing Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2017
I have been working at SickKids since 2012 and I can truly say it is an amazing place. Although my position in the hospital has changed over the 5 years I have been here, I can truly say there are many individuals who want to see you succeed and push you to do better. There is plenty of room for growth, if you work hard and push yourself.
Positive environment, which is respectful of people from all walks of life
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
The culture is positive, making each and every individual feel appreciated and respected.
Each person is made to feel as if their contributions matter.
Pros
Respectful
Cons
Pressure
Fabulous group of people to work with
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2017
A typical day is varied depending on the type of individual you are supporting. Management is not good and no room for growth or development and the most enjoyable part of this job is the people in my department. They are a lovely group of individuals that you can learn a lot from and very family orientated.
Pros
Flexible and good work life balance
Cons
No bonus or pay increases
Research Study Participant
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2017
I participated in a research study that will hopefully lead to better treatments for other patients at the hospital.
The researcher was very friendly and helpful
Very eye-opening
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
During my time at sick kids I Learned a lot. It help me gain a new perspective on life. I feel honoured that I was able to have this experience. All the supervisors were very great and were eager to help with any questions I had. Overall I would go back and volunteer again.
Great start for careers
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2017
I started off working as a desktop support technician and quickly grew into other IT roles. When I started there were a lot of opportunities to shape your career path and the supervisors and directors were supportive. Would definitely go back if given the chance.
Great place to volunteer!
Child-Life Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2017
I have loved volunteering here for a number of years now. Supervisors are excellent and the placement is very meaningful. It's competitive to be a part of the volunteer program but very worth it once you are there. There is a minimum attendance required.
raised money for them didnt actually volunteer there
Volunteering, Clown (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON14 June 2017
I stood outside a store for 24 hours in 2 days, raising money for the hospital, by selling cookies,brownies,cakes,and many other baked goods along with raffle tickets and popcorn
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Information Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
Registering patients
Booking appointments
Filing reports
Preparing requisitions
Providing clerical support to all health care staff
Assisting in meeting the needs of the patients and their families when appropriate
Excellent learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
Staff work as a cohesive team to provide amazing healthcare. This is done while simultaneously giving a valuable learning experience to placement students.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
I’m going to write an honest review here, but Sick Kids is definitely a wonderful place to work.

You can probably work here for 20 years or until retirement if you really want to. Salary is better than most health care facilities, although there are no yearly bonuses at all for most positions. In terms of culture, departments work well with each other and employees are encouraged to share their ideas in order to improve systems or policies.

Management respects you as an individual and appreciates your contributions from what I’ve experienced. That’s hard to find.

It’s a great place to work if you’re qualified, and make your case in the interview. Just don’t expect very many people to talk to you in the hallways.
Pros
Meaningful work, Respected by higher management, Overall Freedom
Cons
Minimal guidance when getting started, No Excel time sheet management system
Flexible, friendly environment
Administrator/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
A typical day as an administration clerk is generally keeping the flow of the department and making sure everyone is looked after. It is all about keeping everything organized and patients satisfied. Our role is to input the requisitions given to us by patients into the system so they have a file were their images will be stored. We also register new patients in the hospital. The workplace is very friendly, rewarding and all staff is helpful if any help is required.
Excellent
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
I really enjoyed my placement at SickKids. I was able to interact with patients and families on different levels. I enjoyed it most because I was always learning, there is something new each day. The staffs are very friendly and helpful and want to see you succeed, they made it easy for a student like myself to ask questions and gain knowledge about the work force.The hardest part of the job was seeing all the little patients coming in for their treatments but it was also comforting knowing that they are in good hands. I'm interested in working in healthcare so his was a rewarding placement for me.
Wonderful place to work
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
SickKids is a wonderful place to work, in which you can feel truly proud to say you are a part of. The workers, patients, and environment make it an all around great place to work
Rewarding
Senior Financial Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2017
HSC is the largest peadiatric hospital in Toronto
Very rewarding work
Good team environment
Learn alot and very supportive management
Environment for development of skill set