The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Fantastic place to work
PROTECTION SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2018
Sick kids is easily the best job I ever had! The management is fair and reasonable. Every effort is made to accomodate you if you have a need. The people at SickKids are wonderful, friendly and helpful.

Pay is reasonable for the work.

I had been treated exceptionally well by the organization and by my manager.

Highly recommend SickKids as a place to work.
Pros
Great pay, great people, fulfilling work, reasonable and fair management.
Cons
Can be difficult to move up, depending on where you work.
ok place to work
Data Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
management and colleagues not willing to work with you or help you most of the time. There is no work life balance. Not likely to recommend anyone to work here.
Productive and fun workplace
Record Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2018
Productive and easy going co-workers
Changes in management lead to diminished job security, busy
days, work well as a team player and independently, great benefits
Pros
Great benefits, free lunches
Cons
Great employees, interesting culture...
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2018
Every organization has their issues... SickKids definitley has some, but the underlying vision shines through. We know that the work we do is for the good of the children... There are however issues with culture from time to time. The organization is quite top heavy and internal progression can be very difficult.

Regarding pay, moving pay bands does not imply large salary increases. There are limitations set forth by HR which limit how much of a raise you are entitled to, even when jumping multiple bands.

The hardest part of the job is finding time to actually complete work... When you're very involved in the organization, it's hard to manage your time.

That said, the people are what make this place shine!
Pros
The people, the message
Cons
Rough work life balance, top heavy organization, tough to progress vocationally, limited pay increases
Welcoming environment
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2018
The staff were extremely welcoming in the Public Affairs department. Always willing to stop what they were doing to help me learn and achieve my goals. Didn't hold my hand as an intern, made me learn the job.
Patient Information Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2018
I have nothing to say. it is not what I expected. I thought there would be better pay, work and life balance, management not as good about promoting employees from within
Should hire new management with the new hospital
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2018
Hopefully when they build the new hospital they will hire new management who actually care about their staff rather than stabbing them in the back. Too much red tape.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Good
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
Good environment. I was covering for someone so I wasn't there for very long. It was difficult hitting the ground running and picking up where someone else left off. I found a few mistakes and things that were left undone but overall, i was able to keep up.
Pros
Quiet office
Cons
Outdated computers
Supportive place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2018
Good room for growth and opportunities for development for staff. Supportive of new opportunities for program development within the hospital, and ability to flex FTE to join committees and roll out teams.
Organized, productive excelling environment.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
Sick kids hospital provides a great experience for its employers. My day consisted of organizing files, stations and documents for the students and doctors of the mock procedures.
Good job if you like door to door sales
Volunteer Involvement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2018
Basically door to door selling of charity programs. Training is done professionally and you have to perform like real employees. The sad part is you don't receive any privileges or honorariums for your service.
Good environment
Clinical research fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2018
Great workplace, loved the research. The people are generally very smart and hard working. It's a great stepping stone and a great place to learn. However, the pay is ofcourse, as expected, inadequate of what is expected of you.
Pros
work with smart and driven people
Cons
long hours, inadequate pay
2 year contract
Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
It was a great experience working here. Management team was great and thoughtful. They had a very friendly work atmosphere. Fun opportunity to learn new things and expand your knowledge.
Every day you learn something new
Patient Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
The work is more than the 7.5 hrs. you do not know what new work going to be given to you plus your every day work. the best part of the job is talking with the parents to understand how they are coping.
Working as an RN at Sick Kids
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sick Kids Hospital8 September 2018
I had a horrible experience working at Sick Kids. It had always been my dream to work there as a nurse. It was my first job right out of nursing school. There is a ton to learn when you start on any new nursing unit but I found it to be an extremely unsupportive learning environment. If you don't get along with your manager, you literally have no rights and no one to help you if you are being treated unfairly. I found some of the other nurses to be wonderful but there were a lot of backstabbers who would just report anything they could to the manager before getting any understanding of the situation or speaking to you about it. I used to have panic attacks before my shifts because I was so terrified of making a mistake.
Pros
Endless budget for staffing, supplies, unit needs
Cons
Having no rights not being under a union, Very unsupportive learning environment
Rewarding experience and world class care
Manager Corporate Revenue, Finance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2018
A pleasant office environment. There are not many perks at the Hospital, but the care provided for Children from all over the world and the noted reputation as one of the most recognized institutions in Canada make every employee feel part of the first class service reputation attained over 140 years.
student position
Student Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Everyone was helpful and I learned a lot. Great staff and teachers and everyone is working hard to improve patient care. I great place to work. Busy lab.
Pros
Easily accessible by transit
Cons
shift work
Great Place to Work
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Everyday is an enjoyable one. Alot of opportunity to grow with the company along with great compensation and a wonderful environment to work in. A great place to work.
Overall Good Place to Work but can improve!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
Great organization overall with an opportunity to really make a positive difference in the community. Almost everyone, including Senior Management is friendly and open to new ideas and ways of thinking. Excellent Brand.

The org. Is extremely fast paced b/c management doesn't say no to anything and there are simply to many disjointed initiatives happening across the organization with out the proper resource(s) to support those initiatives adequately.

IT is a bit toxic due to one particular massive ego trying to micro manage everyone and every project within the organization. Underlying systems and data within it is a mess which makes doing anything with data a real challenge.

Overall the org. is trying to do the right things, but they are way behind the for profit world when it comes to technology, process and innovation.

Advice to CEO - listen to your Senior Team. Less can be more. Focus on doing 2-3 big organizational initiatives instead of doing many smaller things. Spend more on resources in the right areas. Focus on optimizing marketing spend, instead of spraying and praying. Get rid of people unwilling to change and those who have big Egos.
Pros
Friendly staff, Good SLT, Heart in the right place
Cons
Fast Paced, Not Strategic, Big Ego's in IT
Clinical Nurse Specialist/Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2018
Very challenging and rewarding job. I enjoyed the close relationship between staff and supportive environment. Good opportunities for new graduates to build their resume.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hospital for Sick Children. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2