The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Public Outreach Worker and Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2018
Great place to work and learn new things ! had a great environment. the pay was not that great but it was a good opportunity . I do recommend this job if you love advocating for people
Wonderful place to work for anyone!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 December 2018
It was wonderfull. The work life balance is excellent. My manager was wonderful. I’m sorry it was only a contract but I would work there again the next chance I get. They have a strong mission statement and everyone who works here really love their jobs.
Fantastic place to work
PROTECTION SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2018
Sick kids is easily the best job I ever had! The management is fair and reasonable. Every effort is made to accomodate you if you have a need. The people at SickKids are wonderful, friendly and helpful.

Pay is reasonable for the work.

I had been treated exceptionally well by the organization and by my manager.

Highly recommend SickKids as a place to work.
Pros
Great pay, great people, fulfilling work, reasonable and fair management.
Cons
Can be difficult to move up, depending on where you work.
Fun and great learning environment
Official Canvasser (Former Employee) –  North York, ON23 January 2019
The workplace culture was very jovial with lots of outgoing individuals who were also very passionate about helping children and wanting to collect donations for a certain cause. The typical day at work would consist of a workshop with lots of teamwork, collaboration and constructive criticism. There was a lot of travelling to within the area and several nearby municipalities to spread the word and gain donations. It was also an interesting experience as there were lots of face to face interactions with different individuals.
Pros
free lunch breaks
Cons
long hours of walking in whatever weather condition.
Okay place
Research Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2019
It's a coveted organisation but not a very friendly place to be. People are immersed in their work 9-5 without much interaction whatsoever. Not a very good place if you like interacting with people.
Progressive organization with prominent global reputation in the industry
SENIOR MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2019
I have worked at SickKids since the start of my career and believe it is an organization that supports professional growth and development, constant change and improvement, and is now looking ahead to futuristic health care solutions. A great place to build a career, develop knowledge and skills, and experience challenge in day-to-day work.
Productive and fun workplace
Record Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2018
Productive and easy going co-workers
Changes in management lead to diminished job security, busy
days, work well as a team player and independently, great benefits
Pros
Great benefits, free lunches
ok place to work
Data Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
management and colleagues not willing to work with you or help you most of the time. There is no work life balance. Not likely to recommend anyone to work here.
Welcoming environment
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2018
The staff were extremely welcoming in the Public Affairs department. Always willing to stop what they were doing to help me learn and achieve my goals. Didn't hold my hand as an intern, made me learn the job.
Patient Information Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2018
I have nothing to say. it is not what I expected. I thought there would be better pay, work and life balance, management not as good about promoting employees from within
Great employees, interesting culture...
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2018
Every organization has their issues... SickKids definitley has some, but the underlying vision shines through. We know that the work we do is for the good of the children... There are however issues with culture from time to time. The organization is quite top heavy and internal progression can be very difficult.

Regarding pay, moving pay bands does not imply large salary increases. There are limitations set forth by HR which limit how much of a raise you are entitled to, even when jumping multiple bands.

The hardest part of the job is finding time to actually complete work... When you're very involved in the organization, it's hard to manage your time.

That said, the people are what make this place shine!
Pros
The people, the message
Cons
Rough work life balance, top heavy organization, tough to progress vocationally, limited pay increases
Should hire new management with the new hospital
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2018
Hopefully when they build the new hospital they will hire new management who actually care about their staff rather than stabbing them in the back. Too much red tape.
Pros
Salary
Supportive place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2018
Good room for growth and opportunities for development for staff. Supportive of new opportunities for program development within the hospital, and ability to flex FTE to join committees and roll out teams.
Good
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
Good environment. I was covering for someone so I wasn't there for very long. It was difficult hitting the ground running and picking up where someone else left off. I found a few mistakes and things that were left undone but overall, i was able to keep up.
Pros
Quiet office
Cons
Outdated computers
Good job if you like door to door sales
Volunteer Involvement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2018
Basically door to door selling of charity programs. Training is done professionally and you have to perform like real employees. The sad part is you don't receive any privileges or honorariums for your service.
student position
Student Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Everyone was helpful and I learned a lot. Great staff and teachers and everyone is working hard to improve patient care. I great place to work. Busy lab.
Pros
Easily accessible by transit
Cons
shift work
Organized, productive excelling environment.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
Sick kids hospital provides a great experience for its employers. My day consisted of organizing files, stations and documents for the students and doctors of the mock procedures.
Rewarding experience and world class care
Manager Corporate Revenue, Finance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2018
A pleasant office environment. There are not many perks at the Hospital, but the care provided for Children from all over the world and the noted reputation as one of the most recognized institutions in Canada make every employee feel part of the first class service reputation attained over 140 years.
Good environment
Clinical research fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2018
Great workplace, loved the research. The people are generally very smart and hard working. It's a great stepping stone and a great place to learn. However, the pay is ofcourse, as expected, inadequate of what is expected of you.
Pros
work with smart and driven people
Cons
long hours, inadequate pay
Every day you learn something new
Patient Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
The work is more than the 7.5 hrs. you do not know what new work going to be given to you plus your every day work. the best part of the job is talking with the parents to understand how they are coping.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hospital for Sick Children. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2