The Home Depot Pay & Benefits reviews

Department supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 February 2018
Good place to work.
They do a good job of taking care of their employees with benefits, and added perks like Free Food Fridays, and fun holiday activities throughout the year.
It's a fun, fast paced work environment that sometimes drains you.
They are always involved in community projects and I have enjoyed volunteering with the Team Depot.
Pros
Fast Pace, Great Co-Workers, Gives Back to It's People
Cons
Long Days, Late Shifts
Contractor Sales (Current Employee) –  Brantford14 February 2018
They are good at working with you on personal issues. Very friendly environment. Great people work there! Full time benefits are great which makes up for the poor pay. Associate morale tends to be like a roller coaster depending on who the management team is at the time. Hard to get new associate that actually are not afraid to work. Very clean establishment with chances of moving up if wanted.
good atmosphere and people
Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2018
Home depot is a great company that does its best to look out for everyone who works for them, the benefits even for part time employees is a very nice perk and management is friendly and approachable. They can be very accommodating to those you cant work full hours and odd schedules
Pros
Great management and great company policies for employees
Cons
Hours can drop off in none busy seasons
Fun
FLOORING AND DECORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2018
min wage a challenge. Good working enviroment. Great training, lots of support. Average department lead. ongoing training. free parking. onsite food concession.
no job security
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2018
There no job security and you don't get enough hours i am looking for a full time position but i don't know when is going to happen. The only good thing i can tell you is that the co workers are very understanding.
Home Depot
Flooring Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS31 January 2018
This was a good job, as it's very team-work based and co-workers I found were very helpful with questions you may have. There was room for growth as well and the offered students certain benefits with helping with tuition.
Enjoyable workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 January 2018
This company was very concerned with our health and security. The Home Depot community is like a family, as they are all heart warming and welcoming. I was able to hone some cashier skills as well as make some life long friends.
Pros
Benefits, School Grants Program
Excellent benefits package
General Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON24 January 2018
Overall, it was a very good place to work. The benefits package is second to none.
Unfortunately, it seemed that the company grew too large to fast for the business practices to keep up.
Pros
Fantastic break facilities
Cons
10 hour days
high turnover
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 January 2018
Suddenly and without warning, cut all part-time hours by about 70%.
The store management was good, but to a Multi-national, you are just a statistic. Corporate does not care, even though they constantly tell you they do.
Fun place to work
MET Associate (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON17 January 2018
Enjoyable place to work . Treated fairly by management. Very cooperative with scheduling around personal needs. Continuous learning is encouraged. Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Company paid benefits for part-time employees
The top management is great! I like the core values that the company believes in.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 January 2018
The benefits are great. The company provides a lot of training to its associates. Challenging because of difficult customers. I just don't like the working hours, shifts are not fixed making it hard to find a second job.
Overall, it is a great company with great people.
Pros
Benefits even to part time
Cons
Random schedules
A typical day at work
PRO ACCOUNT SALES ASSOCIATE, MIDLAND HOME DEPOT (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON12 January 2018
The role I held was very busy on a consistent basis. There was a customer at the desk throughout the day with requirements for product whether they were picking up that day, being delivered or a special order.

There a constant but positive balancing act to ensure all customers received great customer services while managing the variety of situations as well as phone and email.
Pros
Great customers, excellent benefits
Cons
Nothing to note
Great people to work with
Pro Account Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON11 January 2018
Good entry level job to gain experience in a retail setting. Will be able to interact with all types of customers, different ages and demographics. Work with a wide variety of co-workers. Pay is average, specialty sales does not pay enough considering requirements of the job. Great part-time job, but my experience was that raises and advancement were not based on skills and selling ability, but by conforming and not having a non orange opinion.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits
Cons
Management in general
A decent job until you find something better
Tool Technician - Tool Rental Department (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2018
I arrived with extra qualifications from the trades and construction knowledge. I was welcomed with opened arms and helped train lots of staff while I was there. I Had plenty of great coworkers and the job provided excellent benefits

However, I did not feel like there was any future with the company unless you wanted to focus on sales and train to be in management. As a Tool Tech I felt as though I reached a plateau and would never be fully appreciated in my role no matter how much extra effort I put in. In order to advance, I would have had to abandon everything I knew and embark on a path that would not see me get an immediate pay increase but take on much, much more stress and responsibility. Over all, It seems they constantly want you to give more with the uncertainty of ever getting recognized in the way of a pay raise.

Certain managers at my store were very lazy and unhelpful with day to day tasks and caused extremely low morale at my location. I found it very hard to respect them when they were unwilling to help us on the floor on a regular basis. Far too many employees showing up late for work on a regular basis and not getting reprimanded for it. This breeds a terrible work atmosphere and makes it hard for those of us taking the work serioulsy.
Benefits
Cons
-Terrible chances of reaching full-time once minimum wage went up, and a head scratcher as to how some people were promoted to managment
Low salary but otherwise good place to work
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2018
Management was very flexible with my schedule when I was working here as a student. Management is overall very respectful to their employees and they have a good workplace culture.

The wages are on the low side but the benefits are pretty competitive. You will need to research them yourself as I had no idea you could get a discounted corporate gym membership for example.Your typical day will consist of bay maintenance.This involves cleaning out garbage, reorganizing stock and ordering missing brochures for example. It is rare that you will be given tasks such as special projects that are more challenging and diverse.

Overall I would recommend this job part time if you are a student. Full time however it would get extremely boring very quickly.
Pros
Were very flexible with my schedule as a student
Cons
Boring repetitive work and low wage
Great culture, good benefits, great people
Retail Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2018
Home Depot expects a lot from it's employees, in a good way.

Expectations are high for those who want to advance, and there seems to be a fairly large gap between the associate level and the management level.

Workplace culture is great and associates really take care of each other. Benefits are good for retail positions.
Pros
Strong brand, close-knit employees
Cons
Can be hard to advance because of politics
Very friendly
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON2 January 2018
home depot offers great benefits to employees. Part time employees are eligible for benefits. Company shares are offered. Company will work with you on availability
Pros
benefits for part time
Cons
open early closed late
Fun place to work and a good place for first job.
cashier(trained as a head-cashier) (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BC31 December 2017
A typical day at work requires dealing with customers and giving them first plus experience. sometimes leadership and friendliness is required with co-workers. the management and people handling the it are reachable and really good. the hardest part of the job up-to date has been tackling with annoyed customers and making sure that despite that they leave our store happily and satisfied. the most enjoyable part of the job is that you learn new things everyday and you get a chance to work harder on your communication skills. as The Home Depot is a big organization I have a chance to grow my job or enhance myself in here.
Pros
Benefits like medical and tuition.
Cons
Same job.
Great seasonal job
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2017
Everyday is basically the same but all the employees are very friendly and so are most of the customers. They have many ways of rewarding hard work including financially. If you decide to stick around you'll find that there are opportunities to advance your knowledge, gain more skills and even relocate within the store and out.
Pros
Everyone is nice, advancement opportunities, rewards and benefits
Cons
Long days, physically demanding depending on department
Dynamic and great workplace
Store Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 December 2017
Dynamic and changing workplace. Great company culture, respect for all people and great talent management. Opportunities for advancement, great benefits. People are the greatest asset and working with them is the most enjoyable part of the job. Hardest part of the job: shifts, but it is specific to retail industry.
Pros
Benefits, People, Company Culture, Salary, Broad Spectrum of the Job, Empowerment
Cons
Shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

510.6K