The Home Depot

Sales Associate400 reviews
Canada400 reviews
Featured review
The Home Depot selected this as a representative review
I was made to feel comfortable by coworkers and management. All coworkers truly have my back in all situations. I love it. Most coworkers don’t have to be asked to help you they ALWAYS helped me with any questions I had about certain things
Manager was lazy, often threw reutrn carts down iles opposite end of the store, had me doing his assesments. Took everyones shifts i could (homeless at the time) and was only ever late once by 5 minutes and i called ahead to let them know. They fired me ON my 3 months and said there was no reason needed.
Pros
My buddy worked there
Cons
Managment treated employees like they were the tools they were selling
While very schedule oriented, it is a business, they didnt appreciate people getting ill, or needing time off. They did appreciate my availability, which was limited rather than full. Part timers get benefits which is helpful. The staff was friendly though could be cliquey at times. Most were quite helpful. Many layers of management which sometimes was a hindrance, but also could be encouraging
Pros
Casual, friendly, safety conscious environ.
Cons
Rigid expectations
The worse company I had worked for, the management team they are on power trip.
Don't recommend this company to work for it , they give you first couple weeks hours you asked then they give you 12 hours because it slowed done. Waist of time to work for this company.

Cons
If it wasn't for the complete incompetence of upper management and the lack of leadership it would have a good place to work. The other associates are amazing and friendly.
Pros
Before covid, had breakfasts, BBQs, themed lunches.
Cons
Over worked and understaffed.
The working environment is absolutely fun and everyday is a new day to learn; even the employees who has been here for more than a decade says so! Everyone is really helpful and understanding, the management is extremely supportive and leaves no step taken to help their employees succeed along with the Home Depot.
Pros
employee benefits
Cons
Base pay
Lots of learning. Management is really good and is very helpful to the associates and to the customer but their return policy is worst for the company as customer buy a product, use it and then return it, causing the value of the product to lower down
the people I worked with really made this job great. but unsupportive management ultimately resulted in me leaving. if a customer can throw a chair at an employee and management decides to cater to the customer rather than look after their employee, that's not a healthy workplace.
I've worked at two stores where management was useful, helpful and trustworthy. I've worked at another store where management made associates do their work, expected them to get extra training such as lift/machine without extra pay, never offering a raise when switching roles, if offering a raise it would be like 20¢. The two other stores prize their associates and when given a raise you're looking at $1-2. In the Sault Ste. Marie location the management will not call out for a replacement if someone calls in sick, they schedule the minimum amount of people and have associates working short 95% of the time, so that the managers (mainly upper management) gets a higher sucess sharing (profit sharing). Less hours handed out = smaller pot = more money. The Sault often had associate's work without proper equipment, and consumables. Often, I've seen them run out of stretch wrap and strap for pallets and orders. I've seen REQUIRED kevlar gloves go empty for weeks. The management is solely looking after their money and not the teams on the floors. Some people have been written up for no reason, hours dropped all of a sudden after calling district managers on store managers, or calling the awareline. So honestly, The Home Depot can be a GREAT place to work depending on the location.
Pros
Sucess sharing
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Home Depot?
Once they changed management, it seems they became money hungry and stopped caring about their employees. It definitely shows, the staff has no support and with hours constantly being taken away, unfair wages, the company has gone downhill.
Pros
Schedule in advance
Cons
Mostly everything
I'm working for them for last 4 months and I learnt a lot and I'm happy to work
there although pay is not enough. Peak seasons. Work environment is chill.
Pros
Good work environment...perks...good hours...
Cons
Basic pay
Some of the best people ive ever worked with most days happy and calm. The managme.nt is friendly and outgoing. The employees are happy and most fun to get along with.
Pros
Regular working days
Cons
Seasonal disruption in scedualing
A very racist organization on a lowkey they treat and work their staff like animals, give u random shifts that are against your specifications. No store discounts. They accused me of stealing a gift card when I had a receipt and evidence that I didn’t and they also had cctv footage that showed I didn’t but they decided to take action first by getting me fired and embarrassing me in front of all my coworkers before finding out I was innocent and tried calling me back the next day f
very fast paced job, need to be willing to move all hours. you cant just sit around you got to keep moving. need to be organized and be able to multi task as there is a lot of stuff happening at once
Pros
breaks
Cons
heat
The job itself was really good. I worked in the lumber department and management and supervisors were open minded and was always willing to teach you. I even picked up some overtime hours and the work was steady. Only negatives is that the pay was not consistent with the workload or what was taught on the job. Aside from that it was great growth opportunities.
The management makes working there very stressful. Many people described it as a prison to escape. The work is good. I liked my jobs, but you were always thrown in head first, and always understaffed, and management is completely oblivious. Pay is not enough to survive on, and if you ever got a raise, it is pennies.
Further to the review summary, over time it was expected you sell extras that the company offered such as application for Home Depot Credit card, or up sell to get extended warranties or services that they have available. The entry level pay did not warrant the extra work involved to do this! My time there I enjoyed helping on the floor with customer inquires and what inventory was on hand. Again it was an ok place to work but no more or less!
I worked there for close to 15 years. I learned that management can have their favorites but they also reward based on one's knowledge of home design. I would rate management high for their knowledge but also in terms of their experience in this position.

I can only speak for myself but they also understand life issues far better.
I have to say working at Home depot was a great experience learned alot great team and great atmosphere and they are very supportive of your balance of work and your personal life.
people are MEAN most of the time. management has favoritism who will advanced. ive been asked to cover for shifts many times but never heard thank you from the management. a new girl got promted after being there after 2 months while some of my coworkers didn't get their promotion.

most of them will not go to their work area if they don't like and the management didn't say anything about it. I noticed some of them will take longer breaks all the time and the management didn't care.
Working at the home depot is rewarding enough when you have return customers look for you in the store, but then for my daily work to be recognized with a HOMER award!? Super cool! Loved the energy at this place, lots of friendly coworkers and management shows they care!