The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Awful place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 August 2018
The management was horrendous. They would yell at you over everything. I told them I could only work part time ( less than 15 hours) a week while in school and they still scheduled me in for ore than 20 hours a week.
Fun working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. James, MB14 August 2018
It is a fun working environment as everyone works as a team. Having worked as a cashier in the store, I have retained knowledge of so many things and different concepts.
Not a terrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB11 August 2018
Working for HD had good days and bad days. Unfortunately due to the high turnover in staff and management, and the outside hiring of Dept Supervisors, it is very difficult to advance within the company unless you are willing to relocate to another store.

If you are looking for a job, where you go to work, get paid, and go home this is the place for you.

Not a place if you're looking to advance into management.
Pros
Lots of staff room treats, friendly managers and coworkers
Cons
The scheduling is all over the place. NO consistency or empathy for a person needing time off
was fun,
Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 August 2018
it was great most of the time ….despite there are times I felt hints and sometimes, obvious signs of discrimination. not much but nevertheless, can cause unwantingness to work... besides that, the work was easy...didnt mind lifting stuff a couple of pounds over what was specified on the agreement but still, loved the exercise...
Pros
easy work
Cons
too much talking behind the back, somehow it is always, ask the minority when something went wrong around the store...
overall a pretty good job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON9 August 2018
Been working at the depot for 5 years now. Trying to move up to full time took me forever but finally got it after 4 years when an opening came up. The co-workers there are nice and friendly, but some of them only care for gossip and drama instead of doing their jobs and helping customers. Sometimes also feel your being under paid compared to the work others do and your doing twice the amount of work.

Benefits are great with home depot as a part time and full time. was surprised to even get a few great benefits when I started as part time and now I'm full time even better coverage.

over all not a bad place to work
Pros
bbqs now and then, benifits, friendly co-workers
Cons
not much room to advance, drama, gossip.
Great work experience
Human Resources - Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 August 2018
Had an amazing teacher, everyone made you feel very comfortable.
Company has so many opportunities within to grow, and they truly want you to succeed.
I would work for this company full time in a heart beat.
Difficult environment
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON8 August 2018
Can be a hard place to work when there are different customers and associates to deal with but still quite easy. Learning at The Home Depot is easy and there is always something there when you have a fun environment with people who are driven
Cloudy management and inconsistent values.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 August 2018
The most enjoyable part of working for this company is the associate-level team. You'll very quickly become a part of their group and make plenty of long time friends within it. Most associates are genuinely caring both instore and out, and it's overall a pretty good time.

That's about it for the positives of the company, however. Though some managers resist it at first, the cult-like spoon feeding of falsities the management spews onto their staff is repulsive and over the top. From being told how evil and awful unions are, to how our competitors don't offer their customers any form of incentives to shop there instead of here, and trying to make Home Depot seem like the holiest of retail outlets.

As a front, there can be a lot of pride one can have working for Home Depot, whether it be their baseline values of working for the community and charitable fundraising, and being the largest home building materials retailers in the country. That pride is very quickly lost seemingly every year you remain within the company. You'll work alongside staff that has nearly nothing positive to say about the store yet they've been there for 10+ years, telling themselves that "they might as well just stick it out at this point" since they've received x amount of raises over the years.

The final nail in the coffin for a lot of the great associate team at The Home Depot came with the recent rise of the minimum wage, which saw most of the staff, though getting a literal raise in wages, was more or less bumped "back down" to minimum wage, and were now working alongside brand new associates
  more... who made just as much as we all do now. A few exceptions aside, this baseline pay has crushed most of the Home Depot team, and we're seeing people drop out of the running left and right these days.

The biggest payoff to spending a few years for this company is my knowledge now to never take a company at face value, and when I'm constantly being told during my first year that my positive outlook will definitely change once I've been in the company for long enough, that I might want to take them a bit more seriously than just shrugging them off as disgruntled workers who'd given up.
Pros
Great entry-level staff team.
Cons
Cult-like management and cloudy values.
Turbulent Work Environment
Freight Dept Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 August 2018
Home Depot provides competitive wages and a good orientation package upon hiring of new employees. Home Depot does provide career development planning, performance reviews and health and safety standards by policy. The Home Depot management does not practice these policies consistently.
Pros
wages
Cons
career planning, human resources, H&s
Supportive workplace
Seasonal Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 August 2018
The Home Depot is an awesome place to work. Great people working there.
The management team works with all associates to promote a great customer experience in the aisles of the store.
Overall a good place to work
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2018
Overall a good place to work. The culture is very good, especially for students. As a long time career, advancement is difficult. Management tends to be reactive instead of proactive.
Pros
Good culture, good benefits
Cons
Not much room for advancement
It's a job
Special Services Associate/Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC6 August 2018
Nothing special I can really say about working here, the benefits are good and the schooling is great. Management depends on your store, I have two managers I get along really well with.
Pros
Part-Time Benefits
Learning place
Overnight Freight Associate (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 August 2018
I learned merchandising and managing things and how to take lead and start working and finding solution by myself. The hardest part of the job was to be awake
Very Good
Specialist Flooring and Decor Associate, Westmount (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2018
All very good !
Easy Place to Work
Good Brand
Nice Place to Work
Good Programs
Pros
All good
Cons
Nothing bad
high school all over again
Full and Part time (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 August 2018
this place is toxic, its like working with a bunch of immature students. Lots of gossip and drama. The pay increases are awful. Good luck getting even a 0.25 raise per year
Nice people to work with
Merchandising Execution Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2018
I worked nights so it's quiet there. we start off with what tasks we need to do which is usually adjusting metal beans for shelving the products. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the deadline for the tasks don on time. I like working nights.
New experiences, group working and team cooperation
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 August 2018
New experiences, group working and team cooperation
Manage the time and follow the plan and targets
Costumers services
Organizing and task distribution
Pros
experiences, free lunch for 30min
Cons
some time the job is tired
Very productive and very fun to work here
office clerk- did paperwork for shipping (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 August 2018
I loved my job at home depot, i was well liked by my co-workers,I was always on time,arrived early and stayed later for overtime if they needed me, It was a great enviroment to work in, i would do it all over again if there was a warehouse here.
Okay place to work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2018
Its ok. Long hours, bad scheduling, and bad management. Never allowed to sit, or to great a friend. If you weren't helping a customer at any given time you would be in trouble.
Pros
good people
Cons
long hours, bad management
morale is very low...company does not give a darn about employees
Cashier/Special Services Desk (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON1 August 2018
hours are minimal....morale is very low...pay is terrible...co workers are usually great...the hours and money they expect you to live on is a joke...
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
too much to type

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

512.4K