The Home Depot

Canada3,311 reviews
Found 3,311 reviews matching the search
Featured review
The Home Depot selected this as a representative review
I think working at the Leaside location is the most fun I've had at a job. The management is great and always to help when the department is overly busy. And my co-workers are the best. I have been very lucky to have, in a little over a year, moved from cash to garden centre cash ( where I learned so much about plants and their care), then to an inside department. Recently I graduated to full time.
This is a very physical job, always walking, re-stocking, facing up the shelves and climbing the ladders to carry more stock down to the area but the hours just fly! And to be able to help the many customers with their various projects and problem is wonderful! We have regulars who just pop over to say Hi when they're in the store or bring friends over for us to help. Not every customer is a pleasure but the ones who do sure put a smile on my face!!
Pros
Great co-workers, supervisors and many of the wonderful customers.
Cons
It takes time to adapt to different shifts and days off.
Store opens 7am, so you need to be before that, and close 11pm. No training at all, stand all day in a hard concrete wearing a steel toe boot. They talk about open door policy, but they don't do nothing. Assistant Managers don't work a lot (stay most of the time in the office), and when they see you, they give you something else for to do. They give you $0,50 raise, once a year.
Pros
free food in long weekends
Cons
terrible wage, long hours, short staff
the job might be boring but the customers are generally great people and your coworkers are on the same boat. everyone there is pretty good to work with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
steel toe boots
Managers and department supervisors resulting from promotion of employees with VERY little experience in such fields leads to a toxic work environment where people who suddenly gain these positions, tend to make demands of Lower caste employees that have no correlation with other management or company structure. You dare not speak out for fear of reprisal or harassment.
Pros
Its a job wirh a lot of promises
Cons
Most promises are broken.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having an interaction with customers and able to help them out. Very friendly Staff and the job comes with allot of benefits too.
Amazing management who are extremely supportive and go out of their way to make sure you’re ok. Other coworkers are great. Customers are amazing! Definitely apply!
Pros
Amazing staff, great job security
I was an operations associate. I worked on inventory, managing shipping and receiving among other things. I had my certifications on forklift, reach truck, order picker, pallet jack, and I was paid the same wage as a cashier who sits there and smiles all day. The store manager is a slave driver, the amount of work that he puts on specific individuals is the same amount of work you would do in heavy factory/warehouse setting, jobs that you would make 20 dollars plus an hour for doing. Do workers are cool I guess, but management and the extremely poor wage make it a terrible work environment.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Store manager, terrible pay, heavy work for pennies.
Hired to do packdown, then soon took the position of Cross Merchandiser. Did a great job at it for 10 years. Was asked many times to step up, but i enjoyed my position. Many rewards for work well done, plus raises.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Not enough staff in the departments
I'm extremely dynamic and passionate and enjoyed working at the Home Depot as an Overnight Fulfillment Team Associate between May 2014 and November 2017 at The Home Depot Canada in Orleans store before leaving for another opportunity. During that time period, I performed pack down/stock merchandising onto shelves to achieve 100% in stock, organizing the sales floor to create a pleasant and safe shopping environment, and providing customer service or introduce customers to sale associates for our early morning shoppers/customers. I remove and dispose garbage and bail cardboards using compactor equipment. I’m a trained power jack/surfer user from my previous warehouse work in Calgary, Alberta and I’m very enthusiastic to learn to operate more warehouse equipment as may be needed. Working at the Home Depot was fun and rewarding place to work in.
Pros
Competitive wages and great work life balance
Cons
Lack of hours during slow sales period such as in winter seasons
Would recommend working here. Only a struggle to move up because of limited roles to expand into. Overall good experience with great benefits and a great company culture.
Pros
Awesome benefits. Free lunches. Free days. Work from home.
Cons
Here to move up
Very little recognition for a job well done..They keep employees that bring down moral because management doesn't want to "deal" with a lousy employee. Same goes for some toxic supervisors.The unresponsive management discourages others from doing a good job and things just continue to spiral downwards.
Wages are poor, closings shifts and weekends can be a strain on your family life. For minimum wage...it's not worth it. Oh...full time is next to impossible.
Pros
Pays SOME bills
Cons
Too many to describe.
I have worked at home depot over 5 years only after 3 years got a raise by 39 cents. What a joke. Company has a very high turn over. Management changes every year. New management needs training before they can demand sales. They need to know the department first before bossing their staff around. Huge micro management. All associates are friendly but if you share something with someone the whole store knows your story. To customers associates are all professionals and kind. Management to associates not really.
Pros
Some times they provide free lunches
Cons
No support from management
I've worked there for 5 years now and it just gets worse and worse. They don't respect you at all. If you have bill payments you need to start saving in advance because once the half tear mark for sales comes around they will drop your hours exponentially. I'm talking from 30 hours to 5 hours.
Managment is aggressive and always is pushing you to be better while never practicing what they preach.
Pros
Okay benefits
Cons
Hours are unstable, managment sucks
Management was a joke, they don't know what they're doing. Routinely struggled with basic management skills. I've never worked at a place with a shittier morale
Pros
Cons
You'll be stressed with how routinely your day is ruined by miss management
Great friendly atmosphere, great training, online and in person
Taught me many skills in various departments

Great satisfaction from helping customers achieve their home improvement projects
Pros
Great staff
I've worked at two stores where management was useful, helpful and trustworthy. I've worked at another store where management made associates do their work, expected them to get extra training such as lift/machine without extra pay, never offering a raise when switching roles, if offering a raise it would be like 20¢. The two other stores prize their associates and when given a raise you're looking at $1-2. In the Sault Ste. Marie location the management will not call out for a replacement if someone calls in sick, they schedule the minimum amount of people and have associates working short 95% of the time, so that the managers (mainly upper management) gets a higher sucess sharing (profit sharing). Less hours handed out = smaller pot = more money. The Sault often had associate's work without proper equipment, and consumables. Often, I've seen them run out of stretch wrap and strap for pallets and orders. I've seen REQUIRED kevlar gloves go empty for weeks. The management is solely looking after their money and not the teams on the floors. Some people have been written up for no reason, hours dropped all of a sudden after calling district managers on store managers, or calling the awareline. So honestly, The Home Depot can be a GREAT place to work depending on the location.
Pros
Sucess sharing
Cons
Working there is great and calm. The environment is very friendly and people and senior associates are very helpful. Flexible schedules and working hours.
No creative input allowed, automatons only need apply. Reasonably good benefits but took forever to get to an almost living wage. Another cheap soul crushing corporation who cares nothing for the community or it's staff.
Pros
Will hire anybody, good benefits if full time
Cons
Great expectations, no work life balance, low pay
Once they changed management, it seems they became money hungry and stopped caring about their employees. It definitely shows, the staff has no support and with hours constantly being taken away, unfair wages, the company has gone downhill.
Pros
Schedule in advance
Cons
Mostly everything
I'm working for them for last 4 months and I learnt a lot and I'm happy to work
there although pay is not enough. Peak seasons. Work environment is chill.
Pros
Good work environment...perks...good hours...
Cons
Basic pay
order picker and will call coordinator was my position. never had an issue with customers. just wanted to do my job and keep the customer satisfied in store and at home. wasn't interested and playing power games. My only problem was an untrainable individual that didn't understand the difference between cull and good lumber to send to a customer. otherwise the pay at that time was little light for single person living on their own. enjoy the job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.
17.5K