THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

Canada27 reviews

Clear
2.8Job security & advancement

i worked, they paid

it was a job. not a career. the work was boring and unstimulating but easy and steady. short days. decent coworkers. not a place for smart or ambitious people

It Turned Into A McJob

The union ended up working for the company instead of the people and it turned into a classic scenario of the older employees making all the money and doing less work meanwhile anyone born after '86 was barely scraping by. We ran short-handed more often than not. If there's anything positive I can say about The Spectator it would have to be the people.

Insights into THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

Good place to work, however, little room for advancement. Freedom to run your own schedule. Management is helpful and understanding. Extensive training provided.

various positions

you could have a great job or a terrible job, several departments. it could be customer service or a cozy desk job, or labour positions really varies

exciting atmosphere, breaking news

Was a great job other than the fact that one day I was told that I should take a week off because of budget reasons- 7 months later I recieved my final payment from them after never working another day there again- long passed the week.

Pros

friendly people

Cons

no job security

Great opportunity to develop new programs within print

The Hamilton Spectator was an excellent opportunity for me to learn advertising and new business development in a faced paced environment. I gained experience within print and was able to develop several money generating programs for Torstar. The staff was amazing, excellent team work.

Pros

Excellent opportunity for growth and knowledge within the print sector

Cons

Lay offs due to the decline in ad sales

Telemarketing Position

I got hired by the telemarketing department. I had to be able to write records of customers/clients who were interested in purchasing a newspaper subscription. Developed excellent customer service skills and written communication skills.

Pros

writing company

Cons

no opportunity for advancement

Fantastic Place

Would still be employed there. outstanding employer. I really enjoyed working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement