THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
I dont really have 150 words to say about The Hamilton Spectator, it used to be a pretty cool place to work and i used to be proud to say i worked there.
First thing was always a group meeting to set out tasks for the day. Through out the day there were check in time to review progress. While working on the floor we tried to have an upbeat attitude and work as a team. The hardest part of the job was to complete all tasks before print time.
You need to be up so early in the morning and be in the meeting location at 2:30 am to pick up newspapers to be delivered to the subscribers. You need to finish delivering the newspapers on time. It didn't help me with my sleeping patterns. I got headache and had to wake up again to get my daughter ready for school.
Plant shut down to move to toronto. Not a very great place to work. Pay was little compared to what the work entailed. Closed down to "save money" which now costs more than before
The union ended up working for the company instead of the people and it turned into a classic scenario of the older employees making all the money and doing less work meanwhile anyone born after '86 was barely scraping by. We ran short-handed more often than not. If there's anything positive I can say about The Spectator it would have to be the people.
While i am getting laid off in August 2019 the job was enjoyable adn profitable during my course working there good learning space for working with people and a chill environment more often than not
Pros
Super lax management and coworkers
Cons
Iffy Hours and well Getting laid off
Worked there for 2 months and already. As a young student it kept me busy but i barley got paid! i was paid 25 dollars a month sometimes 10 because of pay shortages for things i couldn't control like the newspaper rolling of the porch or getting wet and soggy. I worked rain or snow and every moment i got. It was hard to keep up with school and I ended up failing some of my classes. I didn't have any social life, time to myself or to hang out with family.
Pros
No pros everything sucked.
Cons
I didn't have a life.
It would take a few days to get responses from my employer in regards of supplies i needed to be able to complete the job and often the flyers would not be delivered to my house for assembly until late hours of the night before and being a high school student at the time of my employment that made it difficult to ensure on time delivery.
it was a job. not a career. the work was boring and unstimulating but easy and steady. short days. decent coworkers. not a place for smart or ambitious people
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR?
I worked from home and hand delivered and packaged the flyers. the pay was decent but the job wasn't. my customers were rude, the employees were some what nice. Over-all, it was a very easy job.
Pros
only worked once a week
Cons
only worked once a week
Packages Would be late causing late delivery’s getting me into trouble, over run with work causing me to fall behind in school and lose sleep in order to finish the job.
Pros
Free tickets to events
Cons
Long hours, stressful
Good place to work, however, little room for advancement. Freedom to run your own schedule. Management is helpful and understanding. Extensive training provided.
- On Wednesdays I would get all of the flyers ready for delivery.
- On Thursday I would set out to deliver all my flyers by 6:00PM.

- The hardest part of the job is working in the bad weather.
Pros
Learning New Things
Cons
Low Pay
i wouldnt even go back to this job the people there are rude and they dont care if u have a sore ankle or a broken wrist u still have to come out and deliever your routes
a very strong environment. people are extremely helpful and kind. it allows me to be a strong worker and get things done in a good setting. i would look forward to working more with the paper.
you could have a great job or a terrible job, several departments. it could be customer service or a cozy desk job, or labour positions really varies
I didn't appreciate the conditions the flyers would come in some days. Some days, the flyers would be torn and almost near impossible to place them where they need to be.
Pros
good pay
Cons
very short time to get things done.
Flyer is shipped to home with list of home requesting a flyer
Organize flyer in a orderly fashion

Deliver to specific area

Hardest Part of the Job figuring out how to delivery large amounts of flyer efficiently
fun workplace with alot of walking to different area's of the city to deliver newspapers and flyers was a great summer job for me
I was given this job from my uncle as a way to get some good skills for future jobs. i enjoyed the job. The hours weren't long and as long as it was good weather it wasn't too bad
Pros
essential skills earned
Cons
poor salary
Was a great job other than the fact that one day I was told that I should take a week off because of budget reasons- 7 months later I recieved my final payment from them after never working another day there again- long passed the week.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
no job security