The Good Samaritan Society Employee Reviews

Great Team Environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC14 October 2018
Working here makes me feel like I am a part of a family, the entire team is very supportive. The benefits and wage are a bonus and I always feel my job is secure. It is an honour to work here and care for the residents. The workload is less that other care homes from my experience which gives me more time to focus on giving quality care. They have a pension and benefits for part time and full time employees.
Terrible management, shows favoritism
Facility admin assist (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 July 2018
Dont bother with this place. Managers show a lot of favoritism. My roll there was constantly changing with no direction given. They expected me to figure out everything without proper training. Then proceed to discipline me if something was not done to their expectations. Was brought in for "secret" meetings where my job was threatened. Blamed for the things that were impossible for me to disprove. Care aides and LPNs are awesome and supportive.
Pros
Care staff
Cons
management favoritism , immature management at some staff acting like a high school bullies
HCA (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 July 2018
some of the staff are very close to the management staff that even that person is causing trouble still ok with them. Even the staff already reported that they had been bullied and harrassed still management believed to that person because that person was there friend or favorite. Like management should act pro but they are not. Some staff are really nice but most of them are bully and keep on telling gossip and put you in trouble.
Pros
most of the asian and lpn are really nice, hard working people
Cons
management favoritism, gossip, bullying and harrassment from your co workers
Always short staffed
Hca (Former Employee) –  Kelowna mountainview7 July 2018
Staff overworked and under paid. No guidance from management.
Staff does not help one another and many forget that they are there for the benefit of the residents
Pros
Residents
Cons
Management turnover
backstabbing staff,gossip,blaming to the new ones
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge ParkMeadows2 June 2018
to many dramas, if you nedd help no body is there to help you cause they are all out to have smoke! and if you got mistake they will talk behond ypur back and gossip you. If you dont follow the regular or the casual thats been there for a long time oh well they will create a story to kick you out.. If you are new one here they will trying to bully you belittle you! Mangement doesnt care much!! Bullying is really bad gossiping and blaming.. And if you are new they will put you in a situation that is realky heavy and can get ypu in trouble. And they will just blame you on that!! terrible team and staff
Pros
good educational, money
Cons
poor management staff, gossip, bullying, racist and they will not give you much time if you are casual.
regulars staff most of them are trying to belittle the new ones
hca (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB2 June 2018
Management listen, they should teach there regular staff to respect the new one and not bullying them. Some will teach you some will just ignore you..
Pros
good money, learning
Cons
bullying, not enough time if they dont like you they will not call you, group of cliques, always talking behid your back if they dont like you, blaming
terrible and oversmart team leader
Relief Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Meadowbrook, AB30 May 2018
I worked at Meadowbrook group home under PPDD, Good Samaritan Society. Team leader is overtly arrogant and acts like super bossy rather than a leader. treats staff like babies when giving directions and shows absolutely no professional behavior. Some of the staff is very nice and helpful though. I always regret working in that group home. Except this group home all other group homes team leads are professional and know what team work is!
Pros
Not really, some collegues are nice co workers.
Cons
Bad Team Leader
All food service shifts were 12 hours. We served breakfast luch and dinner and did dishes .
Food Services / Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2018
Fast paced and always something to do. I enjoy a fast-paced enviroment. I loved the residents and enjoyed getting to know many of them as well as their stories. Two dining-rooms with different clientelle. Our smallerdining-room was for people that owned their suites and were capable of self care. Always pleasant to work with. all shifts were 12 hours long including one of the housekeeping shifts. This was probably one of the hardest part of the job as it was alot of time sensive work and were always on the run. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff. We all worked well as a team.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
12 hour shifts
Helping client with meal
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2018
.Helping Clients with activity daily living, such as showering, dressing, preparing meals and feeding clients.

.Using mechanical lift transfer clients from bed to wheelchair back and forth. Checking client’s blood sugar level, blood pressure, and medication administration according to prescriptions. Administering suppositories and digital support to clients every morning.

.Providing bedsore care and simple wound care. Inserting intermittent and indwelling catheter and catheter care every day.

.Putting on and taking off pressure socks, and doing ROM.

.Driving client out for appointments and doing grocery shopping. Paying bills and solving problems of daily living, and accompany clients.
Think before you apply here
Care aide but lpn (Former Employee) –  Cardston, AB21 December 2017
Exp and very dedicated to my job active lpn who which this good sams would only hire me as a care aide to save company costs with a huge pay cut god forbid you get hurt the blame comes back on you- poor management receptionist talks behind your back in front of other co workers nothing but ba k stabbing and turn overs
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Poorly treated, back stabbing coworkers, with hateful management gossip and negativity makes you not want to walk in the building

Want to know more about The Good Samaritan Society?

Ask a question
LPN (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB12 December 2017
Good team work. Management listens to and supports staff professionally & personally. Positive, caring atmosphere. I like that I can drop in anytime and talk to the managers. The standards for care have really improved in the last couple of years and I’m proud of where I work now. The residents are great.
Pros
Supportive work environment
Cons
Sometimes work short
Socially Terrible Place to Work
Cook / Dietary (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC21 November 2017
I worked at GSS in Penticton for 4.5 years in support services. The residents were lovely, the staff however was a different story. This place fosters a culture of bullying, long term staff are unfriendly, unhelpful and cliquey, management plays favourites.

The hours are long but very good in that every second weekend is a three day weekend, and the money is okay - better than most locally for the same work.

That said, if you are looking for a pleasant job experience with positive support from your colleagues, think far away from this place.

Union reps are excellent and you will need them there.
Pros
Excellent union reps, decent money
Cons
staff are awful
Excellent place to work at
Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2017
Work environment were everyone feels welcomed.
Generally good staff and easy to work with and positive culture.
Managements are good with staff and try to meet their needs.
Was awewome people, place and cause.
Administer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
A typical day at work, check for Alberta and BC WCB claims. Fill out applications for WCB in Alberta and BC for injured employees. Distribute incoming external and internal mail. Call employees to see how they are doing after injury or during sickness. Fill out and apply for short and long term disabilities through Sun Life. I had a wonderful manager that was all about life balance and workplace culture. The manager insisted that we meet other employees when looking to hire to make sure everyone was a good fit. I really liked the idea of helping people. I learned a lot about WCB filing and how the system works. I also understand about short and long term disabilites. I learned about modified duties. The hardest part of the job was when they closed our department down and had to say goodbye to everyone.
Pros
People were awesome to work with in every department.
Cons
The department getting shut down and reorganization of the Company.
Productive, caring environment.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  AB23 September 2017
Very supportive environment for residents AND staff. Well managed and organized other than being understaffed. Worked short quite often but always worked as a team and got things done.
Can be incredibly emotionally draining as you will become attached to residents and their families.
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Understaffed
Think Hard Before Applying in this Organization
Health Care Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 September 2017
The work itself provided me an opportunity to develop and maintain a comprehensive program of spiritual care and religious services for residents-patients and their families including but not limited to worship services, counseling and visitation.
Residents were great
LPN (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB24 August 2017
great place to work but management didn't support staff and staff moral was really low....seems everyone is out to get one another which isn't good for residents or families
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Poor management
I had fun working in this place . People are making our job fun
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 August 2017
Good place to work , friendly staff, good management, multicultural . I would recommend the company . They have advanced learning. They have good benefits, very considerate.
Cons
Workload is high. Management is constantly changing and then new management comes in they make alot of changes to work load and care aide duties.
Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC18 June 2017
Benefits are expensive. Management has there thumb pressed down on staff and it feels like you are never doing a good enough job no matter how organized and hard working you are. Nursing staff is great.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Feeling depleted after every shift
Great Team, Great place to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC25 February 2017
I have worked for Heron Grove since opening 2007. I love the interdisciplinary team I am privileged to be a part of. All staff are hard working and provide exceptional quality care. Most lines of work include 3 days off every other weekend which in health care is unheard of. Management is supportive of employees and understands work/life balance.
Pros
Job satisfaction, hours, rotations, staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Good Samaritan Society. Our community is ready to answer.