The Globe and Mail

The Globe and Mail Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Not sure what to include here. I enjoyed my time at The Globe and Mail and would highly recommend it for their journalism but less so for their support roles
The Globe and Mail is the best company I have ever worked for. You work at your own pace driving and delivering papers.My boss is an excellent man to work for. I have been with the Globe and Mail for 15 years and will be here for the rest of my life. The hardest part of the job is having a car available when your car breaks down but a great mechanic is all you need. The easiest part of the job is the job itself. You drive alone at your own pace at night with no traffic or other obstacles to battle. You stop and take a break whenever you want. I recommend this job to anybody.
Pros
Good money, Nobody watching over you telling you what to do, Take breaks whenever you need. Relaxed environment.
Cons
There really aren’t any in my opinion.
The leadership say all the right things but they don't walk the talk. the Publisher is at the root of it all. Promoting politics and letting his wife influence his decisions. There are some great people there who I am still friends with however they are destined to continue with limited strategic and collaborative efforts at the senior levels.
Nice office, adequate tools. Flexible hours. A good deal of departmental politics; overly aggressive sales goals lead to a high instance of turnover.
overall good place to work, exciting industry but difficult due to financial constraints. overall, new building is lovely, location is great, people are passionate about the product, etc.
Good starting job, great experience for getting practice with people, and time management.

Worked there for a short time, but I learned alot and gave me great work experience
it is a work environment that has a lot of smart colleagues to work with.
Pros
great location
Cons
demanding
It was a quick job 6 nights a week delivering papers, however since it was contract work there was no room for time off or emergencies. Also was a bit hard on gas.
This is a great place to work for people who are motivated by the creation of quality journalism and are looking for work/life balance. It can be challenging to climb the ladder in a small, relatively flat organization. Young, ambitious people often burn out or leave waiting to be promoted. The best journalists in Canada stay here for many reasons, including their brilliant colleagues, but also because there is no where else to go that is as good as The Globe in the country. The company is aware of this and one might think they take advantage of this.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Boys club mentality
Its a hard job and also the dirtiest job I've ever had. I would work 6 days a week and have almost no social life and rarely see my kids.

Management is a joke if something is changing it keeps it quiet until last minute loved to surprise people and not nice surprises all the time.

They are always looking at ways to save more money even if you have to do double the work.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long hours, No sick time.
A well oiled machine. Leadership provides adequate funding for ambitious marketing initiatives. Exploration of new revenue streams demonstrates open minded approach to industry changes and necessary adaptations.
Interned once a week for six months helping with the sustainability actions of the company as part of a college graduate certificate program
Received some good help and communication from stakeholders on material for my school projects
Pros
welcoming and inclusive environment
Cons
little time from staff to focus on sustainability
Productive and fun to work with. Try to adjust with all type of work environments and also have ability to learn while performing the work tasks.I also have over 6 year of different type of driving which includes working as chauffeur.
The Globe and Mail was one of the only newsrooms in Canada that maintained a wall between sales and editorial. That may be changing now, but when I was there it was a great place to do pure journalism.
Pros
great journalism
Cons
hard to climb ladder
The work was inspiring as I communicated with a diverse consumer base to acquire new subscribers. Through this experience I developed crucial interpersonal and persuasive skills, and I believe that the Globe and Mail provided an environment where developing these skills was easy.
Pros
Work whenever
Cons
Distance
Working as a freelance news photographer is a very time sensitive pursuit. You must be able to produce high quality, accurate, relevant and thought provoking images quickly in at times under tight deadlines.
The Globe is taking great steps to stay relevant in the changing worlds of media and journalism. I learned a lot about advertising as well as journalism at my time there.
All the writing in the Globe is smoothed over by a train of senior editors to create a creamy, inoffensive style that is pretentious and authoritarian.
In IT, many projects to work on, issues to resolve, enhancements to apply in an on-going basis. Very challenging, rewarding and educational. Many extremely talented and knowledgeable individuals in this department, some who unfortunately have left over the last few years.
Plenty of rewards (financial and otherwise) provided based on your yearly performance.
Most employees at the Globe & Mail have been around since the 1950's and 60's - started as paperboys to now being Managers and Directors, they understand the importance of a family environment.
inbound customer care
moderate to high call volume

enjoyable place to work

pleasant and helpful employees

productive and fun place to work

technologically advanced