The Gear Centre Group of Companies

The Gear Centre Group of Companies Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews
Good work/life balance accommodating to the work you are interested in.
The most difficult part of the job is the multitasking. When I started working here I thought I was skilled at this, but after a while I quickly learned that there was much more I could improve on and with the assistance of my Branch Manager now I have improved.
Great company to work for. I have received exceptional training here. You are treated fairly and managers/coworkers are good to deal with.
Pros
Training, great coworkers, career growth
Where do you start. In sales you are given 5000 accounts and zip for training or support. Getting appointments in Calgary was like pulling teeth when you stated who you worked for. The sales manager wouldn't hold meetings at branches but kept sales people away from them?!? The local branch guys are okay to work with but the head office is awful. Owners are in it for themselves and give nothing back to the community. They manufacture their own parts was China and it shows. I was very unhappy with the vehicle which is cheap, cheap and cheap and not safe in the winter. Just asking about tires or maintenance brought rebuke. They pay well but only the yes men stay there. And I hate to say it but its also a very white company.
Pros
Good branch people
Cons
Poorly managed
Where do I even start, we'll let's see there is zero training and by zero I mean it you will be thrown to the wolf's here. You try and ask questions and you get a moody bipolar angry answer. No one has anything good to say about the place, didn't meet one person who talked positive about this company. Even the owner is moody as can be and everyone is afraid of him. The safety policy is also a joke, I've seen some stuff go down here that makes me wonder how OHS hasn't shut this company down. Also the fact of the matter is your job is never secure they just lay people of left right and centre and then replace them with new. Just avoid working with this company at all costs, if you want to he happy and go home everyday with all your fingers and not have a headache then don't work here.
Pros
Zero, non
Cons
Angry people, bipolar employees, managment thats greasy, un safe
Was hired for full time long term employment but was actually only used to cover other employees vacation time.

No real training provided other then basic training on their billing and inventory system.

No direction from management or guidance to companies need or expectations.

Company is basically failing and barely able to keep afloat in B.C.

Do not take a job here.
Pros
Some great employees
Cons
Dying company, poor management and inadequate training to new staff .
Working here has taught me a lot. My time here was well spent and I learned a lot of things that I will take with me in other areas of my career.
Repetitive work - picking orders
Learned what most automotive parts were for

Management constantly changing - a lot of lay-offs

Excellent co-workers

Lifting heavy objects especially from 2nd floor to 1st floor by hand

Lost a lot of weight, physically fit
Pros
Nothing comes to mind (close to home)
Cons
Kept changing hours, payroll didn't know employment standards
A typical work day on the floor is rebuilding transmission, differentials, and transfer case. Typical day in the Engineering is slow work, limited jobs, currently building a maintenance program for the equipment.

There is no self courses to take to learn anything, the company will not pay for school.

Management has trouble knowing management most managers are mechanics and do not know the business side of things. All managers have trouble approving the simples things, Also,the company waste more time on trying to find something cheap but never compare it to the amount of labour costs usused to find it.

co-workers are great to work with, there is no problem with any of the co-workers, I believe the down fall is in the management.

This job has a lack or challege, I believe the hardest part is trying to find something to work on.

Most enjoyable part is getting the approval or completing the work on the floor.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, lack or work, hard to improve and increase position.
Hours were from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm with some overtime required
I learned how important Logistics was to a company

Most management were very nice to work with

Most co-workers would do just their job

Not having a team atmosphere

Different challenges