The Gear Centre Group of Companies

The Gear Centre Group of Companies Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews
Overall good company to work for!
Good work/life balance accommodating to the work you are interested in.
The most difficult part of the job is the multitasking. When I started working here I thought I was skilled at this, but after a while I quickly learned that there was much more I could improve on and with the assistance of my Branch Manager now I have improved.
If you have any respect for yourself do not work here
Management is unbelievably arrogant it’s a dangerous environment there’s bullying going on at all times it’s the most disorganized/dirty shop I have ever come across in my time. I can’t even begin to explain the type of harassment going on there. In reality this place needs to be condemned I don’t know if HR knows what’s going on there but I will be informing them of everything
Great Guys!
The Gear Centre is a great place to work and advance in your career. The people working there are highly experienced and knowledgeable. There are lots of efforts made to improve diversity and inclusion in the company and that makes everyone feel welcome.
Enjoyable place to work
Great company culture. Many initiatives in place for advancement and career development. Employees at all levels are well trained and company values are actually practiced in the way daily business is run.
I have enjoyed my employment with this company since day 1 and enjoy the people I work with. Everyone is easy going and Management is very approachable.
Toxic Environment
Worked here for a few years. It has a very toxic environment. Senior management is not supportive and instead of support and guidance, they criticize and put road blocks up. Maybe a good place to work to start put your career but don't expect a place to spend much time at. No raises or increase in vacation for management.
Property Management
Very toxic environment; worst place hands down I have ever worked in a 30+ years career. Everyone is terrified of losing their job and I was let go because I dared speak out against another employee. The only positive about this place is the salary. I was never treated with respect, was constantly demeaned and belittled and really outright bullied. Do not work here!
Tech
Pretty good place to work red deer branch is a top notch Everyone is easy to get along with and fun to work with. Management is great in Red Deer. Lots to learn and has lots of room for advancement in the company
Worst Company I’ve worked for
I started as a shipper in Moncton was told I would get sent to Alberta for training to start rebuilding transmissions/Diffs from day one. Couple months later they say it’ll happen within the next couple months. 6 months later they injure another shipper. I trained him only to find out I just train my replacement and was let go, because I wasn’t interested in the shipping position. Obviously one wouldn’t be if they were told they would be able to do something they have a passion for this whole time.
Official response from The Gear Centre Group of Companies
12 December 2019
During the interview you mentioned you were interested in relocating from New Brunswick to Alberta for employment opportunities to work in the mechanic trade even though you applied for and were hired as the shipper & receiver in our Moncton branch. Unfortunately, due to an economic downturn we were not able to offer you a transfer as there are no positions available in the service shops in Alberta.

Another shipper & receiver was hired so you could transfer to the driveshaft service department in Moncton. By working in the other service department you would have improved your skills to work towards becoming a mechanic in the future. Unfortunately you made the decision to leave the company with no notice.

If you wish to further discuss this review/response we encourage you to contact the Human Resources Department.
Poor management
Poor Management... no advancement and do what they told you to do. If you say something against the management your in big trouble. They try everyone fire against their rule or quit from their job but putting them down.
not a good place to work
find some where else this is not a good place at all
they dont provide training at all you and you have to figure it out your self and they work you hard
Cons
they fire you after 8 months
Parts.
A typical day at work requires dealing with a myriad number of people in different situations, problem solving on a personal and business level, finding parts and generally trying to help as many people as possible. I haven't stopped learning from the day I started and hope to continue until I retire. Management is good and allows me a lot of freedom to do my job. to me, workplace culture is what you make of it, I do not expect the management to provide everything to me without providing them with good feedback and information. The hardest part of the job is that a lot of staff members have a "what is the company going to do for me" attitude. I believe people need to work for first then expect rewards not the other way around. The best part of the job is that it is ever changing and challenging.
Stable company with good job security.
Privately owned company where the owner knows every single employee. Good job security for hard-working employees. Lots of opportunity for advancement if you do a good job and show ambition.
Purchasing
Work is very interesting everyday. Each day has new challenges and it is vert rewarding being able to solve or help people with their problems.The parts industry is a trade that will never be obsolete.
I've been here a little while now and i can honestly say i have no complaints. Everyone is very willing to help all the time, and has no problem taking extra time to explain things. The managers i have at my branch are very knowledgeable, hard working, and easy to get along with. Everyone here, Technicians, warehouse staff, parts people, and managers get along very well and rarely have problems.
Great work environment
Great place to work. Great communication from management, very helpful team, everyone is keen to help others excel in their position. Positive energy.
Another Gear in the wall
i've worked at the Gear Centre for over a year now and its been a great place to work. My colleagues are good for the most part and i don't hate going to work!
inside sale review
this is a great place to work. i enjoy coming in everyday and seeing everyone at the shop. great environment everyone is friendly. management is very approachable and i feel i can bring anything up with them. you feel like part of a team. most difficult part for me is that it can be difficult sometimes helping to troubleshoot stuff over the phone
Great Co workers/No room for advancement
Co workers make coming to work enjoyable and everyone is easy to get along with. We don't have employee engagements like barbecues or pot lucks. The only employee group activity we have, is during Christmas at our Christmas luncheon.

There is no room for advancement and there is a high turn over. When positions open within the company they don't promote growth within the company. We often don't know when or why someone has left the company. Sometimes we don't know people are gone until a replacement shows up in their place. There are no annual reviews or annual raises here. This is the first company I've worked for that doesn't provide annual raises.

My manager has always been helpful and very resourceful in helping me find answers if they don't know the answer. However not all managers are the same. There is a lack of communication between departments.

Great benefits.
Extra effort is rewarded!
I have been with the company for many years, because they saw something in me that I had not seen in myself. I was able to work my way up with great mentors, and what I value most is the freedom to develop and learn. No two days are the same, and I appreciate being trusted to make decisions that are best for the company and my team. If you are willing to put in extra effort, you will be rewarded and you'll get to meet some really great people along the way.
Great company, great people
Company is great to work for. Management really cares about the work-life balance and will make every effort to accommodate requests by employees (i.e additional vacation days, time off for appts.)
Couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with from entry level to upper management. I have great respect for the company for hiring employees based on qualifications regardless of race, color, nationality. Benefits coverage is very good and the company pays the premiums, including life and travel insurance
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Gear Centre Group of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.
The Gear Centre Group of Companies Reviews by Location