THE ELLIOTT COMMUNITY Employee Reviews

Truly A Caring Community
Dietetic Technician/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 August 2019
Most people at the Elliott genuinely care about each other, and try to help each other succeed/get what they need. They care about the seniors who are in their care, and everyone treats them and their fellow coworkers like family. Their benefit package is awesome, and they are one of the few places that give part timers amazing benefits. Depending on where you are, sometimes there is room for growth, but for the most part-whatever you start as, you will most likely stay in that position for the time period you are there for (otherwise you will be waiting a very long time for any kind of change in status). There is a lot of events that include employees, and a lot of employee appreciation. Also depending on your job, there is not a great work/life balance, however, some of the jobs are able to achieve that. Overall, highly recommend this place to work for. It is a rare jem left in the work industry.
Pros
Employee Appreciation, Benefits, Awesome people
Cons
Not a lot of room for advancement-depending where you are, Not a great work/life balance
Love this place!
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 September 2018
I am a new hire at The Elliot but I absolutely love my job. I was nervous in the interview but was made to feel comfortable and relaxed, most of the questions focused on the client care and teamwork. I have found my co-workers to be very friendly and professional and the managers are approachable and flexible. The pay is middle of the road but there are generous shift premiums and weekend premiums. Most importantly part time staff have access to benefits and pension which is very important to me. I look forward to being here many years.
Pros
Pension, benefits
Cons
None so far
PSW (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 January 2018
I am a part of a great team and that makes my job easier. We work hard but also have a lot of fun with our residents. If you are not serous about your work you will not last long and that is why a love this place.
I completed a student placement at The Elliot Community.
Student Placement Program Consolidation (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 September 2017
The Elliot was a throughly enjoyable place to finish my nursing studies with. I learned a tremendous amount about working with the older adult and has inspired me to continue to seek employment with this population.
I love my new job
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 July 2017
I started here just a few months ago and really like it. The staff are very friendly and I had a lot of training. The managers are easy to talk to and they make a point of meeting new people after they are hired. I like my schedule and hope to get more hours soon so that I can quit my other job. If I get permanent PT I can join the benefit plan which is very important to me. With my shift premiums I earn more than my other job and eventually I can join the pension. Even though I am new and working my way up, I have a set schedule which I really like. There are callins but I can plan my life and easily coordinate two schedules. Many of my co-workers are long term employees and for the most part they seem very happy, there are only a few negative nellies. Everyone seems genuinely interested in doing a good job and that what is most important to me. I would definitely recommend it as a good place to work.
The Food Service Department Is Lost
chef (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 January 2017
I worked at this facility in the dietary department as a chef, the management is lost, and really has no clue what they are doing, one of the most dysfunctional environments I have encountered in 20 plus years I have been involved in food service delivery / management. Stay clear you will not last long here.
Pros
Cons
management is whacked
A great place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 March 2016
I very much enjoyed my experience with The Elliott Community.
My responsibilities varied, which allowed for much growth and learning; for which I am grateful.

It was a pleasure to work in a compassionate environment, where high end care was provided to our elderly, at all times and in all situations.

There is a strong and efficient leadership team within this workplace, which taught me many invaluable lessons.

I enjoyed the fast paced, productive and growing day to day operations of this employment.
Pros
Much growth and learning
Cons
I Feel Lucky to Work Here!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 March 2016
I have been part of the Elliott Community since 2008 and have to say that it is genuinely a terrific place to work. Everyday I am motivated to come to work, my co-workers and residents have become true friends and we all take pride in what we achieve together to create the best possible care and home for the residents.

The management team is approachable and friendly. There is an open door atmosphere and I feel comfortable talking to any of the managers if I have a problem - they are fair and they take the time to listen. I always feel like I matter.

Even though I haven't worked anywhere else in more than eight years, I still recognize what a great place this is and know that I'm fortunate to be part of a 'one of a kind' organization.

The pension is outstanding and one of the best in Canada (OMERs). The benefit plan is also excellent and fairly affordable, the Elliott shares the cost of the plan. The wages are fair, especially for a not-for-profit charity and they are reviewed each year.

If there are problems, management will deal with it quickly and they show genuine interest in me and my future. I feel very lucky to be part of such a great organization.

The Elliott may have high expectations but that goes hand-in-hand with the high standards of care. I personally love knowing that I am part of such a meaningful, well run operation, where my top notch skills are recognized and valued.
Pros
Work culture, supportive work environment, good managers
Cons
Scheduling conflicts
Awesome Place to Work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 March 2016
I have been part of the Elliott for two years now and even though I'm part-time, I feel like a real part of the team. The managers always acknowledge me and I'm included whenever there is a staff event even though I usually work nights. When it's nurses week, everyone celebrates even if you're not a nurse, it is really a team. The best part is that everyone is very focused on the residents. Kindness and compassion is encouraged by everyone and there is even a program that posts kind acts for everyone to see. Since I've been there I have had 4 raises and even though I'm part-time I am part of the benefit plan. I can't imagine working in a better place, I love comeing to work everyday.
I enjoyed working at the Elliott - serious professionals only
PSW / Dietary (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 December 2015
I liked working at the Elliott. The people are great, including the managers. I read the other posts and some are unkind but honestly I never had a problem, i always found that I was treated fairly and respectfully. I can only assume that these negative posts are by former employees who the managers had to deal with. I had a problem one time and my manager was quick to deal with it and I was grateful for her support. I left because my other job offered more hours and a better schedule but if things were different i would go back in a heartbeat, i am still on their casual call in list hoping to see a full-time position posted. Regarding the negative posts, don't believe everything you read, this is a good place to work.
Pros
Team spirit, resident first attitude, clean, caring staff
Cons
Schedule, short shifts, call ins.
Excellent place to work!
personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 December 2015
By far it's been my favourite place to work. But if you're not serious about your job, don't have a positive attitude or a sense of humour, you probably won't like it there!

Overall my co-workers were great to get along with and I always found management to be fair and approachable. They went out of their way to recognize people and encourage teamwork.

There were frequent staff appreciation events and I felt like my opinion mattered. I was able to move into a full-time role within a year. I have just moved back to Guelph and hope to be rehired!
Pros
Staff events, culture, regular pay increase, free parking, benefits and pension.
Cons
Fast pace.
Municipal LTC Home for the City of Guelph
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 October 2015
Daily interaction with co-workers in a variety of positions.
Daily interaction with Resident in all 3 areas of the Home.
Pros
Residents
Fast paced work environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 August 2014
Very fast paced work day. I had to be able to time manage effectively as I was responsible for 6-8 residents daily. Although routines and time schedules were in place, I learned very quickly to adapt to ever changing circumstances.

It was a rewarding position - however it could at times be physically and emotionally demanding. The hardest part of the job was always the loss of a resident.

In order for the work day to progress smoothly, team work was essential. For the most part, staff and management worked well together to fulfill our responsibilities.
fun workplace and really nice
Recreational Assistant - Long Term Care (Former Employee) –  guelph4 March 2014
it really amazing learning how to work with senors , and how to take car of them . every one is really friendly
Pros
people are nice