The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews
Enforce safety culture
They encourage workers to work safe and they provide the necessary action to achieve safety. They listen to workers suggestions and consider the once that make sense.
You are just a number
So sad. This was supposed to be my dream job. They laughed me out, made me do things I wasn't supposed to then left me to hold the bag when things went badly. Mostly the unqualified staffing coaches and managers that have no business managing humans just because they have an engineering degree.
Great Place to Work
Great place to work. The overall culture of the company is great.
They do care about people development. Have been fairly treated over the years and recommend others as well.
Nice downtown location office
Most of the employee in Dow are old timers and are with the company since ages. Some of them have no knowledge of the outside world and never try to make a new comers feel comfortable.
Stagnant with regard to advancement opportunities.
A culture that does not value shift workers and maintenance staff. These individuals are seen only as drones who have no input on day to day or long term decision making. The result of this culture is demoralizing. They claim to have an empowered workforce, this unfortunately was not my experience.
Shutdown job
i worked a small time at Dow it was one of the most spread out industrial site with a huge aspect focused on safety... was fast paced environment with great community of workers
Work and Life balance
The company if very good culture and environment for working mom. I really enjoyed work with many professionals at my last job. And my manager was very hands off and allowed me a lot of professional freedom because I have a strong controllership mindset, work ethic and my job performance was exceptional.
productive,safe workplace
safely place to work with and fun and friendly management.friendly supervisor,friendly foreman and friendly co workers.we cannot start the job without the approval of safety inspector on the workplace specially regarding the hoarding.must have fir extinguisher on work place at all times
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Dow Chemical Company?
Big business that works like a family run company
Was on okay job, the only issue was that all the operators got their kids hired and then their kids got the promotions and it was impossible to move up if your family wasn't in the company. I saw a lot of good people get turned down for promotions, and simpletons would get it. But it paid well, and was safe.
Values include unpaid time off.
Company very much values family and work life balance. They also love to give there contractors time off in an effort to save money. The people and workers are great and the atmosphere is great though.
Worked From 18 yrs of age
Wonderful career until downsized in 2001 at the salary level of $85,000/year. Had window offices and I was very good at problem solving, follow up, and field sales interaction and support.

Enjoyed the travel, the people, the work and would be still working there until now, had I not been downsized and company moved to Midland, Michigan.
Pros
Long term career and interesting work.
Cons
Downsized 2001
Management needs help
the hardest part of my day is being on a Project with Maintenance Management that do not understand the process we have in place to succeed in a great project.
Very team focused, morale seemed high among workers. 12 hour rotating shifts were very popular with workers. Management was attentive to employees needs.
good
good place to work kind people all around good experience. the people were so good there can't get over the people. Did I mention the people so good I mean it the best people out there.
Maintenance and Turnaround Coordinator
Great team and focus on global work process. Valued my time with Dow and enjoyed working wit the professional team there. Good opportunity to travel to various sites and grow.
Senior Piping Designer
THe projects were very interesting and complex. Usually entailed complex piping systems and materials such as teflon lined piping, reinforced fiberglass piping, exotic metal piping materials such as monel, duplex stainless steel, etc.
Pros
Variety and complexity of projects
excellent company
Supportive and team oriented company. Great work experience opportunity as a young adult. Learned a lot about the importance of plant site safety and the importance of encompassing safety in everything I do through out my day.
work equality and safety oriented place
work environment is safe and good people. encouraging environment for work and take responsible care for community. management people listen and cooperate to achieve safe and good work place.
Safety was number 1 Excellent training
I worked 22 years for Dow chemical I was a rectifier transformer specialist . I also was a North American plant trouble shooter and traveled with Dow to find issues that could not be solved by the existing tradesmen. My inventive nature earned me many awards for issues that were solved by my logical approach.
As well as being The electrical supervisor of the foam plantI I also worked for Dow at the Hydrocarbon plant as an Electrical inspector. Dow provides its workers many opportunities to learn new or aligned to my trade skills. I was a key resource person to implement many new programs including CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT programs that made DOW a leader in the Chemical plant industry. Many of the innovations I instigated or worked on with teams I volunteered for saved DOW millions in increased production and reduced cost. I have trained hundreds of apprentices.and have a tremendous hands on experience with supervision and electrical knowledge

I feel I can contribute at least 10 years or more of excellent service to any company.

My health is good and I am willing to travel.
Pros
toastmasters on site, safety awards, innovation awards
Cons
not enough advancement oportunities
Strong in safety and productivity
Strong in safety culture, strong in productivity, strong in operational excellence
Lot of e-mails reading and replying

Lot of paper work and work processes

Learning: how to run operating plants in max rate
Pros
Excellent benefits
IT meets Industrial
It was a fairly standard type of IT support environment for a chemical production facility which adds more potential workplace hazards. Due to the nature of the workplace, there was a large amount of on-call time, which complicated work-life balance.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dow Chemical Company. Our community is ready to answer.