Play YouTube video button

The Co-operators Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative18 reviews
Canada18 reviews
Featured review
The Co-operators selected this as a representative review
Great company to work for with many opportunities for advancement. The company provides all training and covers all costs for training. Great benefits package.
28 March 2019
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We agree with your positive comments. At The Co-operators, we value the time our employees spend with us and work hard to support their personal and professional growth. We are also proud of our unique culture which makes this “a BETTER place to work".
Co-operators is very involved in the community and support volunteering within the communities we live in. They strive to provide back to the community.
4 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review The Co-operators. We provide each employee with 2 paid Volunteer Days each year to meet our commitment to being a socially responsible employer, and to positively impact the communities in which we do business. The ongoing efforts and dedication of our employees in the office and the community make this a great place to work and set us apart from other organizations.
Was on contract, manager only hired friends. Department was very clique like. Worked with lots of female co-workers where, as a male, you are expected to pay them complements or you have an attitude problem. Trainer didn’t like being asked question. But, even contractors had benefits and raises.
9 August 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your experience. At The Co-operators we value and want to acknowledge your concerns and we are sorry to hear about your experience. As an employer, we strive to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best. Our leaders are accountable for having regular one on one conversations with employees that support job satisfaction. We hope you had the opportunity to share your feedback with your leader or during your exit interview with Human Resources so that your concerns could be appropriately addressed.
A typical day at work consisted of entering, updating or cancelling policies.
I learned a lot about the insurance industry during my time that. I had 3 supervisors during my time there and I got along well with all of them. The hours were good, flex time was available to anyone that requested it. The most enjoyable part of the job for me were the people. I made some wonderful friendship during my time there.
16 August 2019
We’re glad you shared your review with us on Indeed. The Co-operative values that inspired our founders over 60 years ago continue to guide our organization today; you can see that in our culture and our people. We consistently look for ways to support and coach our people leaders to effectively support their teams. We are also pleased to accommodate flexible work schedules that support work life balance and meet the requirements of the role, our clients and our colleagues. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience working at The Co-operators.
contract positions receive no paid vacation or sick days and your supervisor can make or break your experience. A bad supervisor will make your experience terrible!

they are generally good for work/life balance, but have a great way of making the culture seem good while throwing you under the bus at the same time.

team and supervisors have same impact...great team, can make all the difference!
15 April 2019
Thank you for posting a review. At The Co-operators, we welcome feedback so that we can continue to learn and grow. We hope you had an opportunity to share your thoughts with your leader or Human Resources Consultant about your specific workplace experience.
I learned a lot from the Co-operators and its agents, met a lot of different people who made being in the office enjoyable. I learned how to overcome objections and be comfortable on the phones as well as learning all kinds of different lines of insurance and how to sell them to a client based on their specific needs. Great management in the office has led to a successful development for the agency to which I am very proud of the accomplished individual
Pros
Great Office Environment
25 October 2018
Thank you for your review. At The Co-operators, we really do value the time our employees spend with us and invest in the development of employees to support their learning and career enrichment. We also continuously look for ways to develop and coach our people leaders to effectively support their teams. These are just a couple of the ways that make our organization a “BETTER” place to work.
This company provides a positive work culture with great options for work/life balance. They have events that promote positive relations between teams and that foster team spirit.

The one major downside is this company will keep employees on contract for as long as possible so that they don't have to offer them full benefits. They have lots of talented employees whose skills are under-valued and who will keep getting contract extensions enough though for the value they provide, they should really be full-time permanent employees.

Overall, it is a decent place to work, even though the lack of opportunity for job growth can be frustrating.
24 August 2018
Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your feedback as we realize there is always room for improvement. Our employees are important to us and we do our very best to create a work environment where they feel respected, valued, recognized and rewarded for their efforts. Our leaders are accountable for having regular one-on-one conversations with employees that support job satisfaction and career development, so we hope that you had the opportunity to share your views with your leader or HR Consultant.
Great work environment, wonderful co-workers and very understanding surpervisors. Would highly recommend, great opportunities for advancement, and great benefits and pension plans.
This company is perfect for those who have a lot of responsibilities to manage at home. Unfortunately, I am at the stage in my life where job culture is more important to me and I feel like this is something the company lacks.
It's insurance, it's all about money and they don't care about people. I left due to mental health issues ten years ago and was never offered help. Management knew I was suicidal at the time and let me walk out the door. I obviously made it through but could have found help sooner with a little support.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
we called each other claims monkeys knowing we were very dispendable.
Left due to loss of bonus.
was told no pay increase

also advised no more than 2 weeks vacation.

multiple agents, always changing as they are not able to make it.

office across from a field

ever changing management
A Typical day

- Take 15-25 calls a day customers/advisors regarding specifics about their life insurance policies.

- Process work such as policy loans, cancellation of policies, and investigative work such as finding policy history information.

What I learned

-How to use positive language when dealing with clients.

- How to quickly alternate between tasks

- Did a great job of upholding company values.

- Seemed to be hands off when dealing with employees.

Hardest part of the Job

- Constantly switching between phone calls and process work.

- Trying to maintain focus on mundane, repetitive tasks

The Most Enjoyable part of the Job

- Having happy and satisfied clients

- I was never had to find things to do to fill my time. There was always ample work to be done.

There seems to be plenty of Lateral movement within the company (IE different job same pay grade) but little opportunity to move up unless you work for 10 or more years.
Pros
Company Cares about employees, Well orgnanizedLots of Free lunches and I-days (Day off Every two weeks)
Cons
Extremely low Autonomy (Timer counts to the second how much time you are available for phone calls), Low pay to effort/skill ratio
great company to work for if motivated to produce and service wide range of insurance products. Not much room to advance unless willing to relocate from small branch office to more central locations
My co-workers and management were wonderful and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was to process changes and to call the agents when necessary. We also reviewed the file and when necessary referred to underwriting.
I worked with the cooperators for 6 months and it is a fantastic company to work with. Every person truly does matter and everything changes fast and there are lots of opportunities to grow and develop. I feel the Coaches and Supervisors really want to see you reach you full potential and they are willing to help if they can.

I worked with phone support for other agents of the cooperators and also did data management. I really enjoyed the job.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Most positions are only offered on contract
Very good company to work for, company pushes for life insurance sales too much, and would disregards all other stats......................
We had a quota to meet every day and every week we had different task to do.

I learned to analyzed and reconciled credits report that I really enjoyed doing. I also learned how to used another house system that was different from my previous employer.

The hardest part of the job was when I was sitting in front of the computer doing repetitive work all day long.
Pros
Longer hours to have every 2nd Monday off
Cons
Not enough variations in the day
Learned a lot of information regarding the insurance industry.
Busy every day. Being able to help a client always felt good. Had great co-workers and we worked well as a team.
Pros
flexible work enviroment
Cons
some long hours, long commute
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Co-operators. Our community is ready to answer.