The Co-operators
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

The Co-operators Employee Reviews

Canada272 reviews

Great place to work. Pay is low.

Great company to work for. Lots of support and training provided for staff. Great benefits package. Lots of job opportunities within the organization.

Pros

Great benefits, great growing opportunities

Cons

Salary

Fantastically organised and complex employee support programmes. Overall very impressed with the network and funding put towards employees.

For me being happy in your role is very important and the company does everything to make sure that you are.Fantastic setup for everyone including new employees.

Pros

Employee engagement. Happy in your role. Support at every turn.

Lots of room to grow, regular salary increases. Great training, support, and positive work culture. Various development opportunities and social initiatives to keep employees engaged

If you want your career to halt, this is the place

Co-operators have different division, and I worked for CGIC - under corporate, not at a financial advisor's office. I've worked for co-operators for many years but my wage was stagnant and despite multiple attempts to move to different division (CGL - Head office), I was given no opportunities to do so. In fact, when I contacted CGIC HR, I was told that I am to apply general application portal and was treated the same way.This is not the place to grow your career. At least, don't work at a sales position and think that you can move up or laterally. You'll have no support to do so and your wages will stagnate for many years. It's definitely better than minimum wage jobs, but that's about it. If you do work here, don't stay long.

Cons

No growth. No external opportunities. No wage increases

Best employer

The Co-operators is one of the few insurance companies that truly care about their employees. The benefits and retirement plan alone showcase this - to this day I have never had such great benefits at any other company. On top of the benefits, they also did WFH before the pandemic and allow employees to enrol in flex time after a year of service, essentially giving you 26 extra days off a year (you work the extra hours but it is so worth it). I left this company years ago and after being at other insurers I truly appreciate how great The Co-operators was - they are truly one of a kind.

Cons

Some claim specialists are truly awful

Learning environment

I started working in Faisal Durrani insurance advisors ltd. (cooperators)It was an excellent time to learn a lot,The work is too much and the learning opportunities more,When i compare myself with my new colleagues i can see the differences

Very good company to work

Very good company to work. I have been working for this company for 17 years. However, in recent couple of years, the management has changed in the P&C Reinsurance accounting services and had lead the work place to a toxic environment to work. I left the company due to the change in the management and the new management does not appreciate what you do. They started hiring people who they like and not based on the qualification and the experience. I have been in the P&C Reinsurance team for about 2 years and there were high turn over rate. About 6-8 employees left within 2 years. Other than that, The Co-operators is a great company. Very sad to leave. Top leaders should over see this area. this does not look nice to the overall company image.

Pros

Experience, benefit

Cons

Toxic situation in the P&C Reinsurance team

Overall good company to work for depending of business unit.

A great place to start in the industry, therefore high turnovers. Management does not practice what it always says. Employees are overworked, not enough resources.

Pros

Great benefits including Mental Health support

Cons

Will not support your advancement

Worst job of my life

Narcissist boss who does not know how to manage an office. Very high stressed office with a lack of organization and communication. Loved my team that I worked with. The boss was a nightmare.

Pros

Amazing staff

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, very high stress for little reward

Bad management / jealousy / favoritism / nepotism / threats of job loss

Worked here on the prairies for almost 5 years. Started out good but turned for the worse as more Eastern Guelph influence. Sales reps were threatened with job loss , made to move office locations frequently so that a managers spouse/realtor could continue to set up new leases and get commission. Rigged sales contests that would ensure favorites won (Builders Retreat) , would take sales from numerous reps and combine under one person so that they would win , then reverse and correct the errors after the prizes were announced. Favored life insurance "twisters" , no ethics.

Pros

Exciting Career to start, and even happier to leave.

Cons

Absolutely everything.

fast pace for some, relaxed for others

Auto is the busiest, same like everywhere, other lines of business - so-so. A lot of pressure on top of your daily tasks to bring life leads to your agent. Doesn't matter how well you will do your job, if you get life leads, you're the man. Commercial advisors are the only one beside the agent who gets commissions, the others don't, and it takes a long time to become one. Salaries - small for such a profitable company, and compared to the amount of training and exams (not easy!) you will need to pass to get there. After that, you'll get a pat on the back, "good job"... Overall, a meh experience, "team work" does not really exist, only buzz words.

Pros

regular benefits, nothing wow

Cons

you're by yorself against the clients

Productive but fast paced

A company that offers a great work culture backed by strong training. The management offers a work- life balance. You may have busy days. A great company to work with.

Community orientated, treat employees well

Wonderful company that cares about their clients.l and employees. Lots of supports in place for employee wellness and opportunity to move forward in your career.

Pros

Employees are treated well, benefits and support amazing

Cons

Low end pay

Racism is evident, they say they are equal opportunity, but don't walk the talk

Beware! There is a lot of favoritism, they say a lot about equality, but don't see it practicing it. They promote their own family members and if you are white, you get promoted easy. Lots of work load, never ending claims, calls and activities. Vacation is available but never approved in time to plan ahead. Micromanagement and salaries at the lower end of the industries's standards. You have to stick to a tight schedule, planned breaks, lunches.....

Pros

Good team support

Cons

Racism and favoritism

31 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As an employer, The Co-operators strives to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best, and we are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of employment barriers and discrimination. We appreciate hearing feedback from current/former employees on their experience in our workplace and are concerned about what you have shared. We encourage you to reach out to discuss your concerns confidentially in more detail by emailing our Manager, Employer Relations at Matthew_white@cooperators.ca.

Work Life Balance

A great company overall. They value work-life balance. They support mental health, they value giving back to the community. Managers & supervisors are kind & helpful. Great benefits! And I love working remotely!!

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

We get really busy

Great company to work for

This was one of the best companies I have ever worked for. If you work directly for Cooperators, there is lots of room for advancement. The training is amazing and the staff are great. If you work for an agent, there are less advancement opportunities but can still be great if you are with the right agent.

Pros

Great training and advancement opportunities

Cons

None worth listing

Amazing company to work for who believes in work/life balance!

There is a lot of room for growth. Everyone is so helpful and want to see you succeed. This company cares a lot about their employees and the community.

Pros

work/life balance, a lot of support

Decent pay, great benefits

Paid time off, benefits and pension plan is great. However, most roles are now a "contact centre' environment with rotating shiftwork which can disrupt work/life balance. Supervisor or manager not readily available when needed, employees are micro-managed

Pros

great benefits

Cons

work/life balance

Interesting

Management on Millstream were bullies and no direction or follow up after courses were arranged and completed. Pretty rude and antagonistic..slow office

Cons

Excellent workplace with friendly, supportive people, and challenging projects

The Cooperators is the Insurance company with complex IT structure and many challenging projects. People are very friendly and supportive, family oriented, open mind for new ideas. Working there was pleasure. Overall The Cooperators is great place to work

14 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review! When you work for The Co-operators, you’ll be part of a culture that’s warm, caring, engaging and rewarding. This outstanding cultural character didn't just happen; it's been guided by solid leadership and the collaborative contribution of every member of our organization, past and present.

Good pay and benefits, but racists people

Very good work life balance and benefits. But try to avoid this company ( Regina location) if you are not white or not looking for jobs in IT or Finance department. Full of racists in my small team. I have been treated unfairly. If they don’t need you or they what their relatives to fill your position, they will eventually find some excuses to fire you no matter what. You can tell by simply looking this company, other than IT and Finance, it’s a “white “ company.

Pros

Good work life balance and benefits

Cons

Racist issue

28 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your review. We take your feedback very seriously and are deeply concerned that this has been your experience. We are actively developing our strategy to ensure we foster a diverse and inclusive work environment. We want you to know that we hear you and sincerely hope you will reach out to hr_communications@cooperators.ca so that a member of our team can confidentially connect with you to discuss your experience in more detail.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Co-operators. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Co-operators with