The Co-operators

The Co-operators Employee Reviews

Featured review
The Co-operators selected this as a representative review
Great company to work for with many opportunities for advancement. The company provides all training and covers all costs for training. Great benefits package.
28 March 2019
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We agree with your positive comments. At The Co-operators, we value the time our employees spend with us and work hard to support their personal and professional growth. We are also proud of our unique culture which makes this “a BETTER place to work".
Paid time off, benefits and pension plan is great. However, most roles are now a "contact centre' environment with rotating shiftwork which can disrupt work/life balance. Supervisor or manager not readily available when needed, employees are micro-managed
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work/life balance
Management on Millstream were bullies and no direction or follow up after courses were arranged and completed. Pretty rude and antagonistic..slow office
Cons
The Cooperators is the Insurance company with complex IT structure and many challenging projects. People are very friendly and supportive, family oriented, open mind for new ideas. Working there was pleasure. Overall The Cooperators is great place to work
14 September 2020
Thank you for your positive review! When you work for The Co-operators, you’ll be part of a culture that’s warm, caring, engaging and rewarding. This outstanding cultural character didn't just happen; it's been guided by solid leadership and the collaborative contribution of every member of our organization, past and present.
Very good work life balance and benefits. But try to avoid this company ( Regina location) if you are not white or not looking for jobs in IT or Finance department. Full of racists in my small team. I have been treated unfairly. If they don’t need you or they what their relatives to fill your position, they will eventually find some excuses to fire you no matter what. You can tell by simply looking this company, other than IT and Finance, it’s a “white “ company.
Pros
Good work life balance and benefits
Cons
Racist issue
28 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your review. We take your feedback very seriously and are deeply concerned that this has been your experience. We are actively developing our strategy to ensure we foster a diverse and inclusive work environment. We want you to know that we hear you and sincerely hope you will reach out to hr_communications@cooperators.ca so that a member of our team can confidentially connect with you to discuss your experience in more detail.
After the merge at the call center with The Co-operators General Insurance, without any notice they assigned employees to more 12-8 pm, weekends and 2-10 pm shifts. High volume of calls waiting everyday with an average of 1 hour wait. Clients are angry because of the wait time and significant premium increment on renewal in the middle of the pandemic. The management treats you like a kid and likes to micromanage.
Pros
Great work cluture
Cons
Micromanagement, weekends and late shifts
8 September 2020
We are open to hearing feedback from former employees on their experience in our workplace and hope you had the opportunity to share your opinion with your leader or during your exit interview with Human Resources. Our shift times are subject to change based on business needs and we strive to provide our employees with ample notice of changes. At The Co-operators leaders are accountable for having regular one on one conversations with employees that support job satisfaction. If you would like to reach out to discuss your specific experience and feedback in more detail, please email matthew_white@cooperators.ca
People are nice to work with, advancement is always present, good benefits and the company itself believes in your capabilities and they give chances to people who are determined no matter how hard you fall because that’s their version of success.
Pros
Advancement
14 July 2020
Thank you for your review! When you work for The Co-operators, you’ll be part of a culture that’s warm, caring, engaging and rewarding. This outstanding cultural character didn't just happen; it's been guided by solid leadership and the collaborative contribution of every member of our organization, past and present. You’ll be part of a team that works hard to develop an inspiring organization and an enjoyable place to work
The team at the Co-operators were a pleasure to work with. Highly collaborative, forward-thinking and respectful of work-life balance. The location was ideal, in the heart of Guelph, so it remains to be seen how the COVID-19 pandemic will effect that. I would certainly consider working there again in the future. Good overall experience!
14 July 2020
Thank you for providing your feedback. When you work for The Co-operators, you’ll be part of a culture that’s warm, caring, engaging and rewarding. This outstanding cultural character didn't just happen; it's been guided by solid leadership and the collaborative contribution of every member of our organization, past and present. You’ll be part of a team that works hard to develop an inspiring organization and an enjoyable place to work. In response to COVID 19 we have been following Health Canada guidelines for reopening and have our staff currently working safely from home.
Relaxed, yet productive and fun working environment. Collaborative team work, friendly management and trustworthy. Challenging tasks, large scale applications with clear direction.
14 July 2020
Thank you for your positive review! The Co-operators values our employees and their desire to be engaged. As an employer The Co-operators strives to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best.
Travel allowed me to feel well rested did not last long but the time off helped I enjoyed the people I worked with I had the opportunity to train and provide them with the knowledge of the years of my experience
15 June 2020
Thank you for your review! At The Co-operators we work hard to support the professional and personal growth of our employees and recognize performance with remarkable rewards. When you work for The Co-operators, you’ll be part of a culture that’s warm, caring, engaging and rewarding.
I have enjoyed my time here, I found the experience I received valuable. However, the way the company is organized, it seems the upper management is very disconnected from the abilities of its staff. They disregard strong members of their organization with near-unreachable targets without proper support for teams to meet them.
Pros
great benefits, close knit group
Cons
breakdown of communication between departments
Different departments have different management, but so far had no issues at all. Job load was up and down - so be ready to relax when you can and work hard when is needed
15 June 2020
Thank you for your review! Our financial strength and stability is sustained by the people we employ, and we're committed to creating a work environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, recognize and rewarded for their efforts. The Co-operators flexible work options allows each department to meet their work needs while allowing employees to achieve greater work life balance.
Good company to work for , fast paced, can be stressful, but never boring. Incentives are great too. Benefits were good. Changes in the industry became very stressful, as we had to deal with clients not being happy about increases in premiums, this was an issue with all insurance companies not only the cooperators Building long term relationships with clients is key to being successful
24 June 2020
Thank you for your review. Our advisors are self-employed and are accountable and responsible for running the agency and managing their staff. We are glad to hear about your positive experience working in the agency office including the incentives and benefits.
This is an awesome generous company that really cares about the welling being of their staff. I was unable to start the job I had just been accepted for because of Covid but they still paid me as though I was working until they had to let me go because they weren't sure the office where I was hired would reopen.
Lots of opportunities to advance. This is a career company with opportunities with many career paths - sales, claims, actuary and many more A 100% Canadian co-operative with opportunities across Canada
24 June 2020
At The Co-operators we welcome feedback. We are a proud Canadian Co-operative. Our heritage and values shape our approach to business, resulting in a different​ and better client experience.
Okay place to work with nice co-workers. Good for work life balance. more emphasis on improving quality of services. Overall positive experience at here.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience.We’re glad to hear you are pleased with the work-life balance in your agency office, and that you are having a positive work experience. We encourage you to share this positive feedback with your leader.
Great company and awesome people. Management also take care of their employees , people are willing to help as long as you are willing to learn. Full timers has one flax day during the two weeks.
8 June 2020
Thank you for your positive review! Our financial strength and stability is sustained by the people we employ, and we're committed to creating a work environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, recognized and rewarded for their efforts. Our culture is caring, innovative and collaborative and we value work-life balance. These are just some of the ways that we look to make The Co-operators “a better place to work."
Family owned location branch. Incredible treatment of staff and clients. Too many pro's to list in one paragraph. If I had remained in the Bonnyille area I would have stayed with the company for the rest of my career.
Pros
Family is a priority
Cons
Located in Bonnyville
19 June 2020
Thank you for your positive review! As part of the co-operative business sector, The Co-operators is built on the values of honesty, caring, hard work, family and community. Our advisors are self-employed and are responsible for running the agency and managing their staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time working in an agency office and hope you had the opportunity to share your positive feedback with your former leader.
This is a great place to work, but has tyrannical management practices . You are extremely vulnerable as a contractor if you are not willing to play along with your manager's petty politics. This is a toxic work environment. Avoid!
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write us an Indeed review. At The Co-operators, we are open to hearing feedback from current/former employees and contractors on their experience in our workplace as we recognize there is always room for improvement. As an organization, we consistently look for ways to support and coach our people leaders to effectively support their teams. We are committed to creating a positive work environment and observe the highest level of ethical practice. We welcome you to reach out to judy_gouveia@cooperators.ca so that we can address your concerns appropriately.
Good place to work, Guelph is long commute, location is not ideal for Toronto or East end based employees. It works better if you are located in the Kitchner Waterloo area
4 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write an Indeed review for The Co-operators. We're sorry to hear the commute to work was not ideal to your situation. We value work-life balance and offer a number of benefits to support employees in balancing their work, family and community commitments. Just as our co-operative values guide how we run our business, they are inherent in the way we treat our employees making this "a BETTER place to work."
Working at the cooperators is absolutely a fantastic Experience, the work culture is fantastic but the pay is absolutely garbage. Above minimum wage but below average in the industry, they expect a lot and pay little. And in the screening interview was told if I didn’t fit in, they’d just get rid of me same day, they don’t care about paying you out. . No raises in sight
1 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review The Co-operators. It is wonderful to hear that you are having a fantastic work experience. With a focus on sustainability and the communities we service, we have achieved a truly caring and warm culture. In addition, our salaries are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure they're competitive with similar positions within the insurance industry and local markets. We encourage you to reach out to your leader to discuss your concerns regarding salary in greater detail so they may be addressed directly.
  1. Employee reviews