The Co-operators

The Co-operators Employee Reviews

Canada288 reviews

Great Company

Featured review

The Co-operators selected this as a representative review
Great company to work for with many opportunities for advancement. The company provides all training and covers all costs for training. Great benefits package.

28 March 2019
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We agree with your positive comments. At The Co-operators, we value the time our employees spend with us and work hard to support their personal and professional growth. We are also proud of our unique culture which makes this “a BETTER place to work".

Good place to learn but do not pay enough with the workloads

At one of the agent office, we have to do basically everything from billing to customer support, home auto commercial sales, prompt for wealth and life, client review, marketing, even tech support sometime. People are nice at my office but management is awful, not every agent have the ability to manage an office I would say. And the pay is really low.

Pros

Leanrning

Cons

Crazy busy but low pay

Good coworkers

It really depends on who your manager is. If your manager does not like you you will get terminated regardless how long you worked there. I found out their pay is about 30% less than other insurance companies. If you get a nice manager it can work out well.

Don't ever want to go back there

Horrible customer service. Promises were never followed through. Need better Agent to teach and help motivate employees and not put them down. Always belittle them everyday.

Mauvaise gestion

Culture de compétition et aucunement collaborativeEmbauche de personnel dont ils n'ont pas besoin pour ensuite les mettre à pied

Great coworkers, challenging projects and poor promotion process.

Work was flexible and coworkers were great.Management was hit or miss, depends who you work for.Promotion process was a real pain, you had to really make a strong case for yourself to justify a promotion.Pay was not transparent. People often complained that they were getting underpaid after hearing what other people were getting paid for similar positions and experience.

Overall a better place to work

A pretty good place to work overall. Crunch times and busy seasons can require some overtime. Have worked unpaid overtime at the company before but it isn't common or encouraged. The standard workweek is 36 hours and overtime is paid for anything over that when approved in advance. There's a strong focus on mental well-being and work life balance, and they back it up with robust benefits. PTO for permanent full time staff can include 3-6 weeks vacation depending on seniority, in addition to sick days, personal days, flex time, volunteer days, study days.Every department I've worked in has had a close-knit team feel. Co-workers are supportive. Management is responsive and considerate, but can be demanding. There's a lot of pressure to perform, but a lot of support to help you achieve your goals too.

Productive and fun workplace!

Very nice work-life balance here! Productive and fun workplace! The core value of the company culture is about creativity, renovation and co-operation.

too much politics

used to be a fantastic place to work. became to political and focus was more on bleeding heart causes instead of focusing on proving good service to lines of business..

Amazing company to work with, Good career advancement opportunities

Proud to be part of prestigious company - best for Long term career. If you are looking for not just a job but career- go for this company - best company to work with

Great company not enough compensation!

Overall great company to work for to enter an insurance industry. Thorough training throughout from beginning to end. Compensation can be better for the level of work required.

5 May 2022
Thank you for your review. At Co-operators we are committed to ensuring our total rewards package is highly competitive. In addition to base pay, we offer a wide range of benefits and other reward programs that make Co-operators a better place to start or advance a career.

Lots of cold callingDepending on agent twice a week weekly team meetingSales quotas must be meet within 1st yearGreat place to workGood pay

Worked during covid times. Highly stress filled environment to obtain new leads and sales even though it was known for lockdown and people were not working. Very supportive managers and management. Great place to work. Lots of cold calling. Wish it was not during the pandemic in which growth would have probably been better. Was not able to travel due to covid 19 which was a bummer and really hinder business expansion.Overall, great place to work if you have a large network of people to sign to insurance (home, auto, life, commerical).Have great people skills and talking with complete strangers (after your network has been exhausted)

Pros

Good pay Management is great

Cons

Stressful weekly, monthly sale targets

Worked for a sales office (franchise). Go go go, sell sell sell. All about the culture you get hired to. There are good Agents

SalesServiceBe able to pivot, manage the day, plan but be ready to act - calls, walks ins, urgent emails.You are either admin or selling and taking service requests.

Pros

Workload, except for seasonality where you can breathe and prospect, Product change, System change, Gotta be ready !

Cons

Have to commit to the master plan - targets, and collaboration and handling any and all clients, Battling underwriting limitations, Direct to consumer one company product (although getting better with offers)

Would not go back

I would highly suggest staying clear of Bjornson Insurance in Red Deer Alberta. Poor management, rude,unprofessional, no compassion. Not your regular office environment no talking, laughing etc. Hard to even get time off.

5 May 2022
Thank you for your review. At Cooperators we strive for the highest level of integrity. The ongoing efforts and dedication of our staff in office and the community make this a great place to work and set us apart from other organizations. As a former staff member we welcome you to reach out to Fabiola Tonizzo (fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca) to address these concerns appropriately.

professional environment

Good training and focus on education, supportive management, heavy workloads, decent pay for the work. Some room for advancement if you are so inclined.

Poorly Rated

Extremely unprofessional, very caddy, makes employees feel they are a burden. Will let employees go with no warning or no write ups. If you're looking to grow and Excel in this company, this is not the company to go for unless you're looking for betrayal.

Pros

None.

Cons

Caddy Office Manager Force you to do work and go to locations where you weren't hired for.

5 May 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Co-operators strives to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best. Our values, which apply to our corporate offices as well as agency locations, foster a commitment to transparent, effective, two-way communication among all employees and with organizational leaders. As a former staff member, we welcome you to reach out to Fabiola Tonizzo (fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca) to address these concerns appropriately.

At Co-operators you will be working with great bunch of people who will try to make your life as easy as possible.

It is productive and a fun place to work.They support your CIP or any related education (provided you don't fail). Some manager's are amazing, and some try to make your life as difficult as possible at work.

Pros

Great benefits, good perks, a busy place (makes life interesting).

Cons

Evening shifts, weekend shifts. New management (VP levels) is more micromanaging.

Fantastically organised and complex employee support programmes. Overall very impressed with the network and funding put towards employees.

For me being happy in your role is very important and the company does everything to make sure that you are.Fantastic setup for everyone including new employees.

Pros

Employee engagement. Happy in your role. Support at every turn.

Lots of room to grow, regular salary increases. Great training, support, and positive work culture. Various development opportunities and social initiatives to keep employees engaged

If you want your career to halt, this is the place

Co-operators have different division, and I worked for CGIC - under corporate, not at a financial advisor's office. I've worked for co-operators for many years but my wage was stagnant and despite multiple attempts to move to different division (CGL - Head office), I was given no opportunities to do so. In fact, when I contacted CGIC HR, I was told that I am to apply general application portal and was treated the same way.This is not the place to grow your career. At least, don't work at a sales position and think that you can move up or laterally. You'll have no support to do so and your wages will stagnate for many years. It's definitely better than minimum wage jobs, but that's about it. If you do work here, don't stay long.

Cons

No growth. No external opportunities. No wage increases

Best employer

The Co-operators is one of the few insurance companies that truly care about their employees. The benefits and retirement plan alone showcase this - to this day I have never had such great benefits at any other company. On top of the benefits, they also did WFH before the pandemic and allow employees to enrol in flex time after a year of service, essentially giving you 26 extra days off a year (you work the extra hours but it is so worth it). I left this company years ago and after being at other insurers I truly appreciate how great The Co-operators was - they are truly one of a kind.

Cons

Some claim specialists are truly awful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Co-operators. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement