The Co-operators Employee Reviews

Manager HR (Current Employee) –  Remote14 August 2018
The Cooperators includes a number of work advantages and carrier advancements that are worthy of consideration. The work environment is highly flexible and the pay is comparable to other company of the industry.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Change Management
Positive work culture, but lacking opportunity for growth
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 August 2018
This company provides a positive work culture with great options for work/life balance. They have events that promote positive relations between teams and that foster team spirit.

The one major downside is this company will keep employees on contract for as long as possible so that they don't have to offer them full benefits. They have lots of talented employees whose skills are under-valued and who will keep getting contract extensions enough though for the value they provide, they should really be full-time permanent employees.

Overall, it is a decent place to work, even though the lack of opportunity for job growth can be frustrating.
Terrible place to work
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 August 2018
The branch I worked for was a horrible environment. Management was a joke and teamwork was non-existent. Coworkers were very vindictive and would steal sales from you at every opportunity.I worked my butt off and was not compensated fairly or treated with ANY respect.
Time at The Co-operators
Group Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 July 2018
Great Job culture, excellent work life balance. Lots of opportunity to grow and learn. Supportive of different designations (ex. CHRP, CIP, RIBO). Ability to learn/sell/manager insurance related products.
2 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As an employer, we strive to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best. We're so happy to hear you're enjoying your time working at The Co-operators!

Flexible and fun work environment
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, Manitoba18 July 2018
I have worked for this company for 4 years, and I can say that I have never worked with such great people. The salary is competitive, the opportunity to grow is endless and the knowledge I have developed from my years here is something I will carry with me for the rest of my career.
Pros
Competative Salary
23 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. At The Co-operators, we really do value the time our employees spend with us and work hard to support both personal and professional growth. We are also pleased to be able to offer competitive salaries and take great pride in the positive work culture we have created. These are just a couple of the ways that our organization is a “BETTER” place to start or grow your career.

Adjuster
Property Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Windsor claims office14 July 2018
Job was great for training. The employees were great to work with. Adjusting with an agent based sales force was different than adjusting for an brokerage based sales force.
Pros
Professional management
23 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The Co-operators is pleased to provide many internal training opportunities to help our employees grow in their career, so we are happy to hear that you had a good training experience. Should you wish to discuss your feedback in greater detail, please feel free to contact us at HRSharedServices@cooperators.ca.

The Co-operators is an amazing place to work for
Quic Unit Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 July 2018
The co-operators is an amazing place to work for. With the encouragement to move around in the company it allows you to really expand your knowledge of the insurance industry. I highly recommend the co-operator to anyone who is looking a supportive team environment.
16 July 2018

Thank you for recommending The Co-operators as an employer of choice! As a Co-operative, we have a distinct culture rooted in our co-op values, which is reflected in our commitment to learning and development and in our collaborative spirit. We are very proud of our unique and caring culture and believe that it is just one of the reasons that our organization is a “BETTER” place to work.

Mediocre Environment
Advisor, Personal and Commercial Lines (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 May 2018
Environment was good until current office owner took over. Questionable ethical red flags. Salary does not match work load. Great training program. Work is good.
24 May 2018

At The Co-operators, we value and want to acknowledge your concerns and take them seriously so that we may continue to grow. Our advisors are self-employed and at minimum are required to pay market rate to their employees. As contractors who are self-employed they are accountable and responsible for running the agency and managing their staff. Please reach out to Fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca if you would like to discuss further.

Overall great experience
Rating Tester (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 May 2018
Great work culture. Warm and friendly environment. Luxury of working in IT is the ability to work from home. Supervisors are very patient as there is quite the learning curve if one has never worked in insurance. One of the only flaws is that there is limited job security. Roles are typically contract based and theres always the chance they will not be extended.
28 May 2018

At The Co-operators, we always welcome feedback and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to hear that you value our flexible work options designed to support work life balance as well as our warm, caring and engaging culture. This culture has been guided by solid leadership over the years and the collaborative contributions of every member of our organization, past and present. We are proud of our unique culture and will continue to work hard to further develop and create an inspiring organization.

Summer Student Job
Customer Support Representative - Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 April 2018
Typical day at work included filing, data entry, assigned projects
Management was easy to approach and understanding of work life balance
I enjoyed the people I worked with everyone was so friendly
Pros
Free Coffee, Tea, and Hot Chocolate, Flexible Hours
1 May 2018

Thank you for your positive review. At The Co-operators, we do our very best to create a work environment where our employees feel supported in balancing their work, family and community commitments. We are also very proud of the caring and collaborative culture we have created, which greatly contribute to the reasons our organization is an enjoyable place to work.

This is really great place to work
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK17 April 2018
I am very fortunate and happy employee at the Cooperators. Amazing people, supporting management and tons of opportunities to learn something new every day. I would encourage anyone who is looking for a great employer to look at current career opportunities at the Cooperators.
Pros
Group Benefits, every second Friday off, flexible hours.
Cons
I don't think there are any.
18 May 2018

Thank you for recommending The Co-operators as an employer of choice. We believe we are an insurance company unlike any other and are proud to be named as one of the Best Employers in Canada by Aon Hewitt. It's an honour we take very seriously, because it proves what we've always known; that The Co-operators truly is a better place to work.

Always meeting new people
Receptionist/Security (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2018
I get to meet a lot of new people and faces. Interaction with employees, customers, clients always puts a smile on my face. They are very friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is handling difficult or upset customers. Overall it is a good experience and love to explore more.
Pros
Free food, friendly team
Cons
Sitting for long periods of time
19 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are happy to hear that our external contractors value the warm, caring and engaging culture that we strive to create at The Co-operators. Our co-operative values not only guide how we run our business, but are inherent in how we treat each other making this "a BETTER place to work."

productive work place and fun
Policy Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2018
Good benefits. Work place culture was good. Hardest part of job was to meet deadlines. Nice co-workers. Lots of team work. Some managers can be shady and biased if they take a dislike to you.Overall I would probably work there again.
Cheap company
Financial and Insurance advisor (Former Employee) –  Canada27 March 2018
I have worked the biggest agency in Canada at Co-operators. I would tell you for sure that this company is a very cheap in terms of paying salaries, benefits! Compare this company with Intact, Desjardins and you will see that salary difference from 5 000$ up to 15 000$. The Management always are crying we don't have enough money and we had a lot of lost but reality is different and Co-operators is making million $ profit. Check how many companies they have acquired last 10 years and you can see that I am right! Don't waste your time at Co-operators
Pros
Learning and work experience
Cons
Poor Managment and Salary
A good place to work
Licensed Insurance Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2018
The co-operators is a good place to work. A lot of opportunities to do different things within the company and very good training. Benefits and pay are in line with positions in the industry.
Work Experience at Cooperators
Associate Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Blairmore, AB5 March 2018
I truly enjoyed working at Cooperators Insurance. The training was excellent and my co-workers were a pleasure to work with. I learned valuable skills in sales and customer service.
Pros
Learning about the insurance industry
n/a
Asssociate Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  windsor, on21 February 2018
good company to work for, good benefits decent salary, staff great, advisors great, growth opportunity, claims, agency, service, hr, appraisals, cleri
1 of Canadas top 200 Employers
Policy Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 February 2018
Great work environment, wonderful co-workers and very understanding surpervisors. Would highly recommend, great opportunities for advancement, and great benefits and pension plans.
Great work/life balance
National Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  Alberta14 February 2018
Flex days, decent salary and benefits. 3 days personal days to take whenever you want.

Option to work from home, office or both. Business credit card for expenses.
This place was the best
Level 3 Endorsement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK31 January 2018
Loved it here, the people were like family.

Helped both agents and clients with there insurance policies, explain what they needed to meet their needs and what each coverage does in fact cover. Contact was via phone and email.

I was with this company for 15 plus years, there isn't really anything I can say bad about this company. They took care of us.

Cried like a baby when they downsized 140 of us got let go they moved us to Ontario.
Pros
Loved it
Cons
there are none