The Co-operators Employee Reviews

Good Environment
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 December 2018
Friendly office. One thing that bothers me is some people get to work from home 3 times a week while others don't get to at all. Also have had many issues not getting access to coursework. Other than that, it's a good place to work. Cafeteria, gym, decent lunch break, benefits, and pension are good.
Pros
Friendly People (Most of them)
Cons
No parking
17 December 2018

At The Co-operators, we always welcome feedback and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to hear that you value our friendly, caring and engaging culture. The Co-operators flexible work options allows each department to meet their work needs while allowing employees to achieve greater work life balance. We continue to explore work from home options, while recognizing this does not fit all roles and employees. As an existing employee, we encourage you to share your concerns with your leader so that they may address them directly.

Previous Contract Agency Manager
Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2018
This company treats the agency owners and agency trainees extremely harsh. If you decide to become an Agency Owner Trainee be sure you review the contract with a lawyer, you will however not be given the complete contract at the start of your 3 year trainee period. You will be working under a Districts Manager, many of them have a terrible character. There are often too many managers working in the district office who will give you different information and unreliable guidance. I sincerely regret that I had to go through those abusive 3 years and wish I could turn back the time. Many trainees decide not to continue with the contract and often have to leave the insurance industry. The Co-operators will start litigation against you if contact an existing or potential client after you terminated your contract. Be aware.
Pros
You can walk away from the contract
Cons
When you sign the contract you are game
18 December 2018

At The Co-operators we are open to receiving feedback as we realize there is always room for improvement. It is unfortunate that you feel that the organization did not meet your expectations. We value your opinion and want to acknowledge your concerns as we take them seriously so that we may continue to grow. We welcome you to reach out to fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca to address your concerns appropriately.

Excellent Culture and Organization to Work for
Project Manager Auto and Commercial Implementation (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 October 2018
Very good company to work for - excellent people, amazing leadership and work life balance. Lots of opportunity for different types of roles within the organization.
1 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review! As an employer The Co-operators strives to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best. The ongoing efforts and dedication of our employees in the office and the community make this a great place to work and set us apart from other organizations.

The-Cooperators
District Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 October 2018
Top 50 Employer.
We are a proud Canadian co-operative.
Staff, advisors and members are inspired ambassadors who engage in community programming that organically builds our trust and reputation.
Our corporate vision inspires us to be a catalyst for a sustainable society and our sustainability vision shows how we can achieve it.
Benefits
Cons
Long Commute
25 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review! You have certainly captured many of the reasons why The Co-operators truly is a better place to work.

Good Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON24 October 2018
I learned a lot from the Co-operators and its agents, met a lot of different people who made being in the office enjoyable. I learned how to overcome objections and be comfortable on the phones as well as learning all kinds of different lines of insurance and how to sell them to a client based on their specific needs. Great management in the office has led to a successful development for the agency to which I am very proud of the accomplished individual
Pros
Great Office Environment
25 October 2018

Thank you for your review. At The Co-operators, we really do value the time our employees spend with us and invest in the development of employees to support their learning and career enrichment. We also continuously look for ways to develop and coach our people leaders to effectively support their teams. These are just a couple of the ways that make our organization a “BETTER” place to work.

Fast paste, work whit the public.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmundston, NB23 October 2018
Training are in English, but you have to and translate for your french customer, I enjoy helping my customer making the best decision on the insurance needs and providing them whit a friendly and fasts service.
Pros
monday to fryday no weekend
Cons
call night/ client review
25 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review The Co-operators. We are a proud Canadian bilingual Co-operative that employs talent from coast to coast and are pleased to provide many internal training opportunities in both English and French to help our employees grow. The ongoing efforts and dedication of our employees in the office and the community make this a great place to work and sets us apart from other organizations.

I only worked as a High School Co-op student.
Social Media Assistant (Co-op Placement) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 September 2018
My overall impressions of my department (Social Media Assistant) was very positive. Everyone was very positive and helpful with everything I did. They were all incredibly friendly and gave me meaningful tasks that aided the department as a whole while guiding me on what the purpose behind each task was and how it benefitted the company.
19 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write such an encouraging review. We are happy to hear that you had a positive work experience. We are certainly very proud of our organization and the caring, collaborative and respectful culture we have created. We will continue to work hard to develop an inspiring organization and to make The Co-operators a “BETTER” place to start or grow your career!

Good pay comparing...
Digital Services Client Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2018
Pros: Good pay comparing to other customer service positions in Calgary.

Cons: non-university educated people supervising you;
Very bad communication between the Coaches and the managers;
Shifts starts at 7am
45 minutes lunch break + 15 minutes coffee break (you cannot have 1 hour break at the time;
You always have to check if you can go to the washroom or wait for someone to cover the Queue.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Non-flexible
12 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are open to receiving feedback from former employees as we realize there is always room for improvement.

As an organization, we are consistently looking for ways to support and coach our people leaders so that they can effectively support their teams. To supplement external education, we offer a number of leadership programs that create an opportunity to learn, receive mentoring, and ensure our supervisors are equipped with the skills necessary to be successful in their roles.

Supporting the needs of our clients across Canada is also extremely important to us. To be able to provide a seamless and personalized experience for them, we require our Client Service Representatives to work rotational shifts outside of standard business hours. Offering this flexibility to our clients not only supports our goal to be a leader in Client Engagement but also helps to set us apart from other organizations.

Should you wish to discuss your feedback in greater detail, please don’t hesitate to reach out to HRSharedServices@cooperators.ca.

Management needed in this office
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS18 August 2018
I worked 15 hours days and could not get caught up with my work. It was a position meant for ( 1 1/2) people. I did not have a life at the time, so I did not mind for a while. People would have had their insurance cancelled from a head office if I did not stay. The management is in another location, so I feel they did not have understanding of the office needs compared to a city style office. An office in the country is close enough for people to visit and ask for answers that you could not provide. I am used to having the ability to provide excellent customer service and not getting answers for people in a timely manner, made that hard to do. I loved the in office group I worked with.
Pros
Real lunch breaks
Cons
Not enough time for customers
23 August 2018

Thank you for posting a review. At The Co-operators, we welcome feedback so that we can continue to learn and grow. We hope you had an opportunity to share your thoughts with your leader about your specific workplace experience. Please feel free to reach out to Fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca if you would like to discuss further.

Manager HR (Current Employee) –  Remote14 August 2018
The Cooperators includes a number of work advantages and carrier advancements that are worthy of consideration. The work environment is highly flexible and the pay is comparable to other company of the industry.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Change Management
27 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! At The Co-operators we are continuously working to make our company a great place to work, and are happy to hear that you appreciate our commitment. Not only are we focused on creating a work environment where our employees feel supported both personally and professionally, but we also offer competitive salaries and incentive plans. In addition, we have policies and resources in place to help support work-life balance including flexible work schedules and paid and unpaid time-off programs. These are just a couple of the reasons that The Co-operators is a “BETTER" place to start or grow your career.

Positive work culture, but lacking opportunity for growth
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 August 2018
This company provides a positive work culture with great options for work/life balance. They have events that promote positive relations between teams and that foster team spirit.

The one major downside is this company will keep employees on contract for as long as possible so that they don't have to offer them full benefits. They have lots of talented employees whose skills are under-valued and who will keep getting contract extensions enough though for the value they provide, they should really be full-time permanent employees.

Overall, it is a decent place to work, even though the lack of opportunity for job growth can be frustrating.
24 August 2018

Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your feedback as we realize there is always room for improvement. Our employees are important to us and we do our very best to create a work environment where they feel respected, valued, recognized and rewarded for their efforts. Our leaders are accountable for having regular one-on-one conversations with employees that support job satisfaction and career development, so we hope that you had the opportunity to share your views with your leader or HR Consultant.

Terrible place to work
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 August 2018
The branch I worked for was a horrible environment. Management was a joke and teamwork was non-existent. Coworkers were very vindictive and would steal sales from you at every opportunity.I worked my butt off and was not compensated fairly or treated with ANY respect.
23 August 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is unfortunate that you feel the organization is not meeting all your expectations. We value and want to acknowledge your concerns so that we can continue to push boundaries for improvement. Should you wish to discuss your feedback in greater detail, please don't hesitate to reach out to Fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca.

Time at The Co-operators
Group Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 July 2018
Great Job culture, excellent work life balance. Lots of opportunity to grow and learn. Supportive of different designations (ex. CHRP, CIP, RIBO). Ability to learn/sell/manager insurance related products.
2 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As an employer, we strive to create a culture in which every employee feels valued, supported and inspired to do their very best. We're so happy to hear you're enjoying your time working at The Co-operators!

Flexible and fun work environment
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, Manitoba18 July 2018
I have worked for this company for 4 years, and I can say that I have never worked with such great people. The salary is competitive, the opportunity to grow is endless and the knowledge I have developed from my years here is something I will carry with me for the rest of my career.
Pros
Competative Salary
23 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. At The Co-operators, we really do value the time our employees spend with us and work hard to support both personal and professional growth. We are also pleased to be able to offer competitive salaries and take great pride in the positive work culture we have created. These are just a couple of the ways that our organization is a “BETTER” place to start or grow your career.

Adjuster
Property Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Windsor claims office14 July 2018
Job was great for training. The employees were great to work with. Adjusting with an agent based sales force was different than adjusting for an brokerage based sales force.
Pros
Professional management
23 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The Co-operators is pleased to provide many internal training opportunities to help our employees grow in their career, so we are happy to hear that you had a good training experience. Should you wish to discuss your feedback in greater detail, please feel free to contact us at HRSharedServices@cooperators.ca.

The Co-operators is an amazing place to work for
Quic Unit Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 July 2018
The co-operators is an amazing place to work for. With the encouragement to move around in the company it allows you to really expand your knowledge of the insurance industry. I highly recommend the co-operator to anyone who is looking a supportive team environment.
16 July 2018

Thank you for recommending The Co-operators as an employer of choice! As a Co-operative, we have a distinct culture rooted in our co-op values, which is reflected in our commitment to learning and development and in our collaborative spirit. We are very proud of our unique and caring culture and believe that it is just one of the reasons that our organization is a “BETTER” place to work.

Mediocre Environment
Advisor, Personal and Commercial Lines (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 May 2018
Environment was good until current office owner took over. Questionable ethical red flags. Salary does not match work load. Great training program. Work is good.
24 May 2018

At The Co-operators, we value and want to acknowledge your concerns and take them seriously so that we may continue to grow. Our advisors are self-employed and at minimum are required to pay market rate to their employees. As contractors who are self-employed they are accountable and responsible for running the agency and managing their staff. Please reach out to Fabiola_tonizzo@cooperators.ca if you would like to discuss further.

Overall great experience
Rating Tester (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 May 2018
Great work culture. Warm and friendly environment. Luxury of working in IT is the ability to work from home. Supervisors are very patient as there is quite the learning curve if one has never worked in insurance. One of the only flaws is that there is limited job security. Roles are typically contract based and theres always the chance they will not be extended.
28 May 2018

At The Co-operators, we always welcome feedback and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to hear that you value our flexible work options designed to support work life balance as well as our warm, caring and engaging culture. This culture has been guided by solid leadership over the years and the collaborative contributions of every member of our organization, past and present. We are proud of our unique culture and will continue to work hard to further develop and create an inspiring organization.

Summer Student Job
Customer Support Representative - Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 April 2018
Typical day at work included filing, data entry, assigned projects
Management was easy to approach and understanding of work life balance
I enjoyed the people I worked with everyone was so friendly
Pros
Free Coffee, Tea, and Hot Chocolate, Flexible Hours
1 May 2018

Thank you for your positive review. At The Co-operators, we do our very best to create a work environment where our employees feel supported in balancing their work, family and community commitments. We are also very proud of the caring and collaborative culture we have created, which greatly contribute to the reasons our organization is an enjoyable place to work.

This is really great place to work
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK17 April 2018
I am very fortunate and happy employee at the Cooperators. Amazing people, supporting management and tons of opportunities to learn something new every day. I would encourage anyone who is looking for a great employer to look at current career opportunities at the Cooperators.
Pros
Group Benefits, every second Friday off, flexible hours.
Cons
I don't think there are any.
18 May 2018

Thank you for recommending The Co-operators as an employer of choice. We believe we are an insurance company unlike any other and are proud to be named as one of the Best Employers in Canada by Aon Hewitt. It's an honour we take very seriously, because it proves what we've always known; that The Co-operators truly is a better place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Co-operators. Our community is ready to answer.