THE CHOPPED LEAF logo
THE CHOPPED LEAF
Happiness score is 44 out of 100Low

THE CHOPPED LEAF Employee Reviews

A place to remember

I absolutely loved working here, I honestly regret leaving this place. You won't ever find a workplace like this location. I'm glad I got to experience such a great work environment.Heads up, it is a fast-paced environment and be prepared to be constantly prepping food. Other than that the tips are great at this location.

Pros

Great food

Bad atmosphere

This job was extremely demanding and required an immense amount of cleaning. The girls for the most part were not very inclusive and I judged me for doing my job PROPERLY. I always felt like I was doing something wrong and never felt good about myself working there. It was sometimes fun working with the girls, but again not my favourite place

Pros

Free lunches, fun

Cons

Short breaks, bad atmosphere

Horrible Work Environment

When I was hired at The Chopped Leaf, I was excited about the job however I had no experience so I was very nervous. I barely received any training and worked with my manager for only three days in the short time I worked there. I was never fully trained and was thrown into building salads the very first day I worked there. I was told to just look at the sheets and try to memorize them. In the last week I worked there, they hired two new people and then fired me over the phone. The job was incredibly fun when I was doing it and the people I worked with said I was a fast learner, however when they fired me they said they had listened to the other team members and they said I was too slow. I had only been working there for a month and a half when they fired me, and one day I worked with my manager and the store owner and no one communicated with me. I was still new and never worked with some people and one of my coworkers who I never worked with kept clearing the screen that had the orders on it. I didn’t know what the salads were and she kept clearing the screen and I kept having to ask what things were which is why they assumed I was too slow. They never gave me a full chance to show them that I was progressing and getting better at the job, by the time they fired me I had mostly everything memorized and could do it off the top of my head. Overall, a good job but a very high turnover rate and poor communication.

Pros

40% off meals during shift

Cons

Don’t train employees enough

Horrible company to work for

Zero paid training. They expect you to do all training online in your personal time. Barely ANY BREAKS. Verbal abuse from beginning to end. Management continuesly breaking company rules by discussing personal affairs with staff. I was fired over the phone for no reason & left in tears. Absolutely no appreciation for hard workers.

Pros

Customers are very friendly. Operations manager very friendly.

Cons

Everything else.

Fast-paced work with collaborative teamwork

Working in The Chopped Leaf requires the ability to collaborate with your team. The company does not give you a certain division, they have a system where the employees are given a rotating task. That is why teamwork is highly needed in this job. The manager was very good at training new employees.

Don't work here, it's not worth it

in a typical day at work you are required to start at least 5 minutes early and you must prep food while taking orders at the cash registrar. I learned lots about prepping food, and about how much managers can make you want to off yourself. The head manager is horrible, and she was one of the hardest parts of the job. The workplace culture was pretty nonexistent. The owner doesn't want to spend money on that kind of thing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of a happy customer.

Pros

50 percent off your shift meal, free t-shirt

Cons

inconsistent hours, will fire you for no reason and not pay you correctly

Fun place to work and learn

The Chopped Leaf is an amazing place to learn how to work in the kitchen even if your English level is not good. Co-workers are very supportive and friendly.

Very friendly environment, great place to work

Fast paced friendly environment. Required to prepare vegetables and portion out proteins. We are also expected to clean and do the dishes. Must have good customer service as everyone is expected to be able to complete all of the required jobs on the line. I really enjoy interacting with the customers and all of the employees are very nice. Hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the meal time rushes, however you find ways to deal with it and help ease the stress for the future.

Not a good place to work...

Manager talked about me and other employees to employees.. My personal life was talked about by the manager/owner to other employees, as well as employees talking about other employees. Bad environment. Work was fine, just a awful environment overall.

Pros

50% off food while working

Cons

the whole environment as a whole.

Productive and fun workplace with positive relationships with customers and coworkers

This was a great place to work since it provided me with essential skills such as building a positive relationship with customers and working well with others as a team to complete orders efficiently.

Jobs at THE CHOPPED LEAF

See more jobs

Very good

I love working here it's a nice place and the work environment is amazing. I would recommend indefinitely. Definitely a good starter job and a job to continue on

Overjoyed

I had an amazing experience working at The Chopped Leaf. Management was absolutely amazing, the team I had the pleasure to work with were amazing as well. Food is delicious too! If I had the option I would still be employed here but unfortunately had to move out of province! Highly recommend!

Pros

Discounts on meals

Cons

Can get extremely busy

Rude supervisor

The in-charge manager/supervisor as rude to customers and served dried out food that was poor quality. They do not seem to care about food quality or customer service.

Gives us discounts off and off shifts.

A typical day at chopped leaf would start with checking if everything is fully stock and then prepare a prep list if needed. Ask the prior staff if anything has changed.

Great place to work if you’re a student. Pays minimum wage. Easy job. No room for moving up in company.

My friend got me the job and I had a great time working there. The job itself is very easy and making the food is fun. I’d definitely recommend to someone looking for an easy full time job or part time job. But there are no benefits and be prepared to start at minimum wage. Really not a suitable job for anyone who needs to make a decent income.

Great co-workers, terrible management.

I have worked at The Chopped Leaf in Maple Ridge for over a year and a half. The staff is great and the comradery between workers is amazing. A typical day includes customer service, prepping and serving food, cleaning, and being on cashier. I found the job to be very fulfilling and require a wide range of skills which was nice. However, you must be very self-disciplined and have the ability to manage situations. A fair warning, there is no training given and the management is TERRIBLE. The poor management of The Chopped Leaf almost made me leave my job many times. In order to stay, you have to be hardworking and see past the organizational flaws of those higher up in the restaurants line of positions.

Healthy salad restaurant with clean, fresh, inviting atmosphere

The food was delicious. Customers were friendly. Staff was mostly young people my age or around, easy to integrate in the work environment. Miss drinking moroccan chickpea soup from there.

Average minimum wage job

This location was particularly busy on the day to day basis with the exception of Sundays and Mondays. During my time there, I was under 3 different types of management so it started off great and progressively got worse with time. The people to work with made it enjoyable but as the job satisfaction decreased, employees left. Honestly, before the last round of management came in, I really loved working here. I loved the upbeat environment, being busy to help time pass and interacting with the regular customers. To be in a position where you are not being hovered over every second of the day was awesome. It's a fast paced environment which I love but management micromanaged and made it hard to meet our basic needs. Not enough staff to cover the day meant no staff to even cover our breaks. We relied on the restaurant's busyness to whether we could drink some water or take a bathroom break, sometimes going full shifts without a single break.

Students looking for side cash need apply!

Like the title says, -Pros- -Job/school balance. -Closes at 8pm. -Friendly staff, great to work with. -Cons- -Pay is low. -No growth. -Short hoes —No benefits. -managements micromanage -no trust in employees -tips every two months, barely $150.

Be yourself

It's good working in chopped leaf. Learned different cuisine and menu like of salad, wraps etc. Learned how to maintain hygiene in a food service areas.

productive and fun place to work

* team management * learnt about training the employees * leadership qualities * managing the restaurant * handling banking operations * controlling the labor cost

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE CHOPPED LEAF. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement