THE CHOPPED LEAF Employee Reviews

Bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC29 April 2019
I wasn't treated nicely by any of my coworkers, I was anxious every time I had to go into work, and somehow I was always blamed for doing something that I didn't even do. It was an awful experience.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
The people
Terrible management
Team Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2019
We recieve very few hours. Any full time staff gets about 30 hours a week or less. Part timers get maybe 3-6 hours a week. Lucky to get any more than that. They will give you a raise but cut down your hours. For tips you get less than 10% of the overall tips you make in a month. Scheduling is terrible, basically make us work like slaves. Management handle their employees poorly and end up acting like children that cant communicate properly. Lots of overall drama surrounding the work place.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Terrible and corrupted management, poor scheduling, lack of hours
terrible management
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON13 April 2019
The store owner at this location is terrible and I would never recommend anyone to work here as seniority is never taken into consideration, the pay is low for what you are expected to do and there is low growth rate. Promises of extended hours and pay are not kept. Employees concerns are also never taken into consideration.
The hours given are short, I have received only a handful of 6 hour shifts, the rest are 4-5.

Besides management the people working here are incredibly nice and I've never met a better group of people in a single location.
Pros
employees, discount
Cons
short hours, management
Easy workplace with amazing staff.
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2019
I really enjoyed the job overall. Very nice atmosphere and staff. I enjoyed working there while I did. It was a amazing first job because I learned so many useful skills I still use in my everyday life.
Pros
50% discount during a shift and 25% on your own time.
Cons
Very slow sometimes
Unhygienic and unwelcoming work environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Gateway Boulevard29 January 2019
The Chopped Leaf was my first job in the food industry. I was hired by the owner of the store and then began work at another location. While he had been very kind and willing to teach me, it seemed the manager at the other store had no redeeming leadership qualities of the sorts. I applied one night, the next day I was emailed in for an interview, and that night I had already been given the job. From the moment I began working, the manager running the other location refused to train me further from what he had done in the few hours that I worked cash register. For weeks I was left on dishes, cleaning, and sometimes worked the cash register when there was nobody else to do it. My coworkers saw this as well and proceeded to ask with me when I would get to do something more and be trained in food. This never happened. She refused to teach me, when I asked questions became frustrated and insisted I should already know, and when I didn’t ask questions became frustrated that I didn’t do the job as I was “supposed” to. Whenever she briefly attempted to teach me something and I didn’t pick up on her teaching style immediately, she sent me to do the dishes as I had been before, taking over herself. My coworkers had to teach me most of what I knew. I’m not sure why, but it seems as though she had something against me from the start, eyeing out only my mistakes, refusing to train me, shortening my shifts beneath 3 hours, and yelling at me for my mistakes although giving grace to my coworkers similar mistakes. Perhaps she hasn’t been given leadership or administration training, which I  more... would highly recommend. Management obtains no people skills, no communication skills, no leadership skills, and sees its employees and customers not as people, but as merely sources of income. I wouldn’t be surprised if this this mindset harms the company significantly in the long run. They have an incredibly high turnover rate, as once employees realize the poor working environment management creates, they leave. On top of the bad management, they are incredible cheap, trying to save money wherever they can, resulting in bad company hygiene, bad customer service, and a place I’m not proud to have worked for. I don’t recommend working here and I will no longer be eating at this company or supporting them after knowing what it is like on the inside.  less
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Toxic Environment & Management
Easygoing work environment but problematic shift schedule
Team Member (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 December 2018
The work itself is pretty simple but shifts are not set up well to support a lot of the workers. The most difficult part of the job are the rush hours and easiest and most fun would be prep work. Management does their best to be fair and allow for diversity as well as encouraging their workers to do their best but there has been times where hours were cut without warning or balancing it in some way as well as yelling at workers during rushes and there tends to be an imbalance of extra duties between the day and night shift. Offering more shifts or a better scheduling system that allows for equal shifts amongst all workers would improve this company greatly.
Pros
Works well with students, understanding of mental health issues, friendly and welcoming staff
Cons
Poor shift scheduling and imbalance of extra duties
Good clean work environment but few shifts for employees.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 November 2018
Shifts are typically only 4 hours long but u would receive a minimum of 3 shifts every week and that is now it is a maximum of 2 shifts per week. There is no full time staff specifically to avoid full time benefits for employees. Other than lack of shifts, management is nice and flexible.
Pros
Friendly and collaborative team members.
Cons
Major cuts in hours.
Fun, Productive, Family-Oreinted Team!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 October 2018
The Chopped Leaf provides an excellent work environment for individuals who thrive on self-efficacy as well as collective performance. Without a doubt, I am proud to work for a company that certainly outperforms the other fast-food competition in terms of cleanliness, customer service, and overall food quality. Decision making is given, very much, equal opportunity as most of my co-workers work together along with management to provide thoughtful participation in the way we run things.
Pros
Teamwork, friendly and approachable management, high standards, positive work environment
Cons
Availability can be a little tight around high turnover seasons
Great managers
Meal Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2018
The managers are great. Very understanding and flexible with your hours. Co-workers are very friendly and make work go by faster! Some co-workers can make work more slower.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 August 2018
Healthy workplace
Fun to work over here
New ways to cook salad
Lear new business perspectives
Multitasking
How to handle any client to give best to them
I decently fun place to work but bad management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 August 2018
Chopped Lead is a decent place to work. They offer decent wages and tip pay outs but neither are worth being excited over if you’ve worked at other food places. Management say they want open, honest communication but they give off the “I don’t want to be here so don’t talk to me” vibe whenever they are there (which isn’t very often).
Pros
25% discount. Bi-weekly tips.
Cons
Bad employees. No one covers shifts if you have an emergency or need to switch. Poor management.
Management sucks not enough breaks
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 June 2018
I only worked here for 2 days because management told me that we only get 1 15 min break for working 8 hours...I applied for days but was put on afternoons? Disorganized and didn’t train right.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Management told advantage of young workers
Productive and fun
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2018
it was an experience being able to work at a salad restaurant. I was able to train my inventory and stock skills as I was entrusted to do it independently every time.
Busy, fast paced environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB26 April 2018
Overall decent place to work if you're looking for a part time job, semi unpredictable days, some may be super slow others will be overtime nights. Good place to be if you love fast paced work and keeping busy.
Enjoyed it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC5 April 2018
I liked working there at first then it just kinda went down hill. And I started getting treated poorly after I got my 3 month mark. So that sucks but other than that it was good.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Bad management
fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC22 March 2018
if you’re working with people you get along with, the shifts are really fun and easy. it’s stressful when the lunch/ dinner rushes hit but overall it’s a pretty easy job. the manangemeny sucks, supervisors don’t get paid enough and our tips are sometimes deducted. don’t get enough breaks. it’s a good part time job if you’re in school
Pros
good environment
Cons
management
Overall decent place to work besides management
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Calgary12 March 2018
Management made working here unpleasant to say the least. Will go behind your back- take money off your paycheck without your consent. Over-all just unkind people in the work industry.
Pros
Great coworkers
Disorganized
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
My coworkers were fantastic and the work was fun for the most part. The problem was the lack of advancement capabilities and even with advancement the pay was still abysmal. The management was also new, so often times the choices and decisions seemed misplaced. Overall the people were nice and so was management, just seemed a little disorganized at times.
Felt targeted worked so many hours, not enough recognition
Team Member (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC12 January 2018
I worked when it first opened. I really wanted to move up and stay with the company but the management was just not liking me whatsoever. I worked all the time, customers loved me. I use to skip school just to run over to help when they were busy. I did so much. And got 10$ per hour with 20% off of meals. The people were great that's the only reason I stayed. Things may have changed who knows. But you should be able to talk to your management without being scared. Or even feel targeted.
Pros
Alot of hours
Cons
They didn't care about the employees whatsoever. Worked over 40 hours a week, no benefits, just 20% off of meals.
Fast paced
Team Member (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC9 August 2017
Work was easy, very fast paced and very repetitive. Hard to get full time hours. owner talked about pay raises but never followed through. Team leaders were the worst definition of a " team leader" the place was filled with drama because its pretty much an all girls setting. The " Team Leaders" would talk about other coworkers in the fridge together, glare at others or just not answer you when you are in need of help. When i spoke to the owner about it, she pretty much told me to find another job.
but if your just looking for easy work, then this would be a good fit for you!
Pros
face paced
Cons
terrible work environment.