The Captain's Boil

The Captain's Boil Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Coworkers are amazing and are definitely people you can trust. Tips are much lower than a servers tips. Management was very understanding but expects much more of me than what my job description says. Easy and fun environment to work in.
I worked at the Hunt Club (Ottawa) location a little over a year ago and am just now deciding to come forward after talking with ex employees and realizing the mistreatment is still continuing I’m hoping to save another person from working there.

Let’s start with management. The managers feel highly unqualified. The main manager is an absolute gossip and enjoys talking poorly about staff to their peers.

Don’t even try making a mistake because you will be reamed out . I once gave the wrong table the wrong bill (of lesser value). And I paid out of pocket for the difference not food cost the entire bill. And was chastised repeatedly about it.

The bussers help tremendously but they also are Whiney and clearly inexperienced with working with others. They can’t take a joke without crying. And I will say it was a light hearted joke, nor one of malice or harassment. Definitely shows how unprofessional they are.

Coworkers are catty, and competitive. They are ready to stab you in the back any chance they get for some more hours. And the owners thrive on it.

Tips used to be pooled, I’ve heard they no longer are but you still don’t take home tips nightly. You tip out 27% of your tips. A portion of it goes to CC sales, Management, Bussers and cooks yes managers get pet of your tips!! Tips are paid every 2 weeks in cash.

I’ve never felt so under appreciated working here. I was constantly belittled and my appearance was complimented on constantly of I looked tired and stressed. (I was a university student. Ofc I was!).

Don’t work here. You deserve better.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Where do I begin?
the manager has zero knowledge about the job doesnt have any experienced at all racist and has favoritism.
he fires people for his personal issues.

zero benefits
Great place to work, everyone is really friendly and helpful, it is all about team work. Very productive and learning place, glad to say I have the opportunity to work here.
The job is not too difficult and a typical shift consists of receiving orders from customers and bringing out food. One thing that could be better is the amount of tips being given to the servers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
can enhance skills but lack of management as a part of the team didnt really motivate maybe because they are new. having no training for advancement but good food and for family gatherings
I enjoyed the people I worked with. Although, the manager that was working when I worked there was stealing a portion of our tips. There was a whole case over it, and she committed fraud.
I was able to be even more quick and smarter on floor.
I also managed to deal with language barrier, and was very calm and great worker even in a chaotic enviroment.
The atmosphere was good due my coworkers and customers. We created a bond as the times went by, it didn't feel like a job but more like a hobby you do with friends. You learn a lot about how to serve customers of a busy and diverse restaurant, by making sure their needs and questions are answered, and things like greeting and seating them. The management on the other hand was poor as when problems started to occur it wasn't handled in a professional manner. The hardest part of the job as a server/hostess I would say which other servers may agree on is communication with the customers as miscommunications can occur anywhere.
Pros
Staff meals
Cons
Poor management
the head office is not the best but great team to work with. Got great tips and made lots of good friends. Leadership there is not so good and needs to be improved
Cool place to work but it isn't too popular making it not busy and you often smell like fish. the management team is somewhat accommodating but has difficulty understanding English.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
boring
I still work here now and I love it but unfortunately they are not able to offer me more than one shift a week because business is slow. So, now I'm searching for a new job or a second job.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
not very busy
Great place to work.
Upper management were somewhat supportive.

Hard to balanced family life with food industry job as you always worked weekend and holidays.
Pros
great compensation
Cons
work weekend and holiday
I worked at the Captain's Boil for 2 months
My reason for leaving was because of work place harassment, and improper training methods. None the less one other server that I currently work with at my new placement, had experienced harassment as well.
Pros
free food
Cons
work alone, and the management team unqualified
I go to work half an hour to an hour early depending on traffic and i set up all the equipment and get the speakers ready to play and do some sound check before i start at 7pm. when i start playing music i have to be able to play music accommodate everybody that is in the restaurant like no swear words, inappropriate sounds and volume level. i only work there once a week every thursday from 7pm-11pm and sometimes i start early as 6pm-11pm. But right now looking for something a little more consistent that will work with my current job for now. i live in north york but i travel to vaughan and all around the city for different gigs and events.
Pros
free food and drinks
Cons
not enough hours
I love this place. The employees are friendly, the workload is enough, and the hours are lovely. The managers allow us enough time to close without being rushed, and they even help close (unlike my prior places of employment).
Pros
Free food, lovely management
Cons
You smell like seafood constantly