THE BYNG GROUP Employee Reviews

Company has not Changed
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ontario ,12 April 2019
So glad to see this company has not changed . Taking them to Labour Board didn't change a thing . Anyone starting work for them is real in trouble. They dont care about their employee , and use and abuse them
Warning warning warning ,
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 December 2018
Stay away from this place noting is good about this company ,
They do steal your money , for no reason always back charges
It's better to be unemployed
Terrible Place
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2018
Worked here for 3 years over three locations. Paid poorly, treated poorly and promised the world. Management treat their employees like replaceable numbers. Don’t appreciate the long hours and weekends employees put in. Treat contractors poorly, sub-human. Material used is cheap and half fast. Anybody thinking of applying here, don’t waste your time. Your name will be forgotten as soon as you walk out the door and a new, poor soul will drain their soul.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
was only there for a couple months and got laid off
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  vaughan4 November 2018
The managers were ok. I wasnt there long enough to really give a good description. The company lost a big contract and I was laid off. It didnt seem like a bad place to work
Not bad
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2018
They had a big turn over of staff and trades making it had to build a good Repor with the trades u had to sign jobs to and inspect there work in all not bad
Pros
Driving and Communicating with staff at site
Cons
Not great scheduling
Poorly Managed
PRODUCTION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 July 2018
Higher ups do not care if you have any issues. All the progress from that company is the lowest level of employees. (Production/warehouse.)

A few good people but mostly stuck up upper management that could care less about the time and effort you put in.
Pros
Decent Pay for entry level
Cons
Long hours, lack of respect from upper management.
Reconsider your decision to join this company.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON24 June 2018
I resigned from a secure position to join The Byng Group, I was interviewed and hired by the Director of Operations, a woman who portrays herself as confident, strong and empowering to other women in business. My first day I witnessed chaos, yelling and screaming by many staff members and management frantically attempting to reactively rectify errors and meet deadlines. As the days and weeks passed, the chaotic atmosphere seemed to be a way of life at Byng, with little or no time for orientation, answers to questions and direction from management. The general unhappy and stressful mood that emanates from this company is toxic and it is wearing on the mental well being of its staff, causing a high rate in staff turn over.

To combat the stress (again a reactive remedy instead of proactive attempt to alleviate/eliminate it) there is a family physician on staff who makes his rounds to specific (not all) people to offer advice and moral support. Everyone else is left to deal with their stress on their own, which in turn has caused a disjoint between the staff. There is no sense of teamwork or bonding amongst the staff but rather a great deal of rivalry and finger pointing.

Work demands, and duties increase steadily with calls and emails at all hours of the day, night and weekends. Although business hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday there is a level of expectation to be there well past 6:00 pm or 7:00 pm. Weekends are consumed with email requests and phone calls to perform duties with expected “immediacy” to their directives at any time of day or night.
  more... There is no family work/life balance here.

Errands are expected to be done on my own time with no offer of reimbursement for mileage/gas. It appears that I have signed up for a 24/7 on call position that was not divulged during my interview.

An HR Department does not exist at the Byng Group, although they do employ an excess of approximately one hundred people with a constant turn over. Management will conduct interviews, hire, but when it comes time to stand up and speak to an employee or to deliver unfavourable news, they hide and delegate the job to someone from an unrelated department.
Pros
Cons
No work/life balance, guidance or leadership
they stole you money
sub contractor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
dont try to work for them , all the time they looking for justification for get so money from you, They treat the installators very badly. they are racist, and they treat the installators as if they were an employee, and they do not like to pay, the project managers make a lot of mistakes, when you go to install the material they give it to you with errors, all the buildings that you go the superintendent does not like to work with that why they lose a lot of the contract, I recommend that you do not work for them
Pros
no work for them
Cons
free hour
Do not work for them
2) Management Consultant/ Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 March 2018
Horrible Management. Incompetent management. Horrible Culture.
No work life balance. Must clean up the mess of every department. Every employee takes no accountability because management never takes accountability.
poisoned environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 January 2018
Environment is poisoned and filled with half truths and misleading information. Make's promises to client with no intention of up holding them. Billing clients before job is complete and short paying Contractors.
Pros
salary
Cons
ownership
Former Painter
Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 November 2017
I worked at the Byng Group for 5 years. Great company, always steady work, no chasing customers for money like when you're on your own. They pay every 2 weeks and have a schedule for cheques, some guys didn't like this but I was happier knowing I was getting a huge amount every cheque. They kept us all busy.

Staff very nice too. Always ready to help. They have a department that hires and helps all workers which has gotten much better over the years, sweet ladies. Project Managers are great, understanding and always willing to help if you work hard....nothing comes easy!

Stopped working because I went back home for a while, I will forsure go back when I return to Canada!
Pros
Early days, get work done in a day, materials supplied
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 October 2017
Working at the Byng Group is a pleasure, the environment is fresh and fun, not to mention my co-workers are easy to get along with.

Management is a good group of people as well they are very upbeat and there personalities make it easy to talk to.

I enjoy what I do here everyday and the growth is incredible since being here I have been able to move into different and higher position throughout the company. I would definitely recommend this company to everyone
Pros
the people & environment
Cons
N/a
The Byng Group is a family business
Validations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto15 June 2017
The Byng Group is a family business- we work hard, we play hard and if we fail the blows are softened and when we succeed the joy is sweeter- because we have one another.

Management has always supported me. When I took some time off during a difficult time in my life, they continually reached out and when I returned I was welcomed with open arms and hugs all around!

Opportunities are available for those strong enough to seize the day, which is how a prefer things- advancement based on merit.

The Byng Group is the leader in apartment and common area renovation and we are only growing bigger and better - Good luck to all other competitors.
Pros
Coffee and deserts are frequently provided- staff outings are excellent
Cons
There are no cons
no recomend this company their stole you money and never paid
Work as Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON12 June 2017
this company is really bad , all the managerment want to be the boss. they have a many application in small claims courts for stole money all subcontrator no exection use to be working in this company also has really bad organited . my recomendation when you see this company its better off runaway.
Fast paced and productive workplace
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 May 2017
Fast paced environment, coworkers are nice and helpful, need to know how to multi-task well and prioritize. Busy environment and you need to be a fast-learner. Training starts off as shadowing another co-worker and then doing tasks yourself.
Pros
free food
Great for contractors looking for work between projects
Sub contractor (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON22 May 2017
I'm a contractor and renovation work in the GTA very competitive. The byng group has never ending work. It's perfect for someone like me who is looking to fill voids in the slower months.

They pay bi weekly. It's clockwork. Come work invoice get paid. What more can you ask for.

One thing I never have to worry about is is getting paid. I have had countless clients rip me off. Not pay me the final 15% happy to do work for the byng group knowing I will get paid every dollar I'm owed.
Pros
Work every single day if i want it
Cons
The work is volume based. Not market value compensation
Fun work environment!
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2017
I have been with The Byng Group for over 2 years now, and couldn't be happier. Everyday is different and challenging, never dull! I work alongside a fantastic group of co-workers who bring a positive and energetic vibe to the office. You are always challenged and will continue to learn new things daily. There is also great opportunity for growth!
fun young staff
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 May 2017
Great place to work. Tons of opportunity to advance. Learn something new everyday. Fast paced. the work day flies by-never a dull moment.
hardest part of the day is waking up early-7am start
Pros
free coffee/donuts
Cons
early start time
Lots of opportunity for growth, fast paced work environment.
Validation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto8 May 2017
I have been working at The Byng Group for 2 years now. I Started off as an administrator, where after a couple months my hard work and dedication was recognized and I was given a promotion to be responsible for coordination of all Project manager events. After another few months I was given my second promotion to the Validations department which came with both added responsibility and an increase in pay. The bottom line about The Byng Group is that management recognizes hard work and dedication, and rewards it handsomely.

This place also has some of the best people you could ask for as co-workers. Everyone is helpful, kind, and the workplace is an environment that breeds innovation and new ideas on a daily basis.

No two days are alike here, as each day new challenges and opportunities arise. If you enjoy fast pace, thinking both on your feet and outside the box with plentiful opportunity for advancement-- This is 100% the place for you!
Best Company I've ever worked for!
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 March 2017
Friendly staff, very organized warehouse, excellent pay with lots of room to grow. Amazing benefits! Everyday we are learning to things and constantly keeping up to date on working conditions and the industry. Absolutely Love this company!
Pros
Organized, Friendly and LOTS OF OPPORTUNITY
Cons
early morning drives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE BYNG GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5