The Brick

The Brick Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate80 reviews
Canada80 reviews

Very good

It’s a nice relaxed fun place to work. Everyone who I meet at the job site were well respected bunch of people. They’re fun and easy to get along with.

Pros

Everyone is nice and it’s a peaceful environment.

Cons

No cons

Fun and productive

Great place to work however it is commission based and you get paid upon delivery of your products there is a stock issue going on at the moment so right now it’s hard making money

Pros

Nice management

Cons

Warranties and attachments are forced on every sale

Insights into The Brick

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Just horrible place to work

If you think you will be treated and paid fairly, you are 100% wrong. If you think you will have a job security you are wrong. If you think you will have weekend and holidays you are wrong. Terrible place to work. Do not go even close to it if you respect yourself.

Dynamic work environment. Pay depends on how much of your outside life you're willing to dedicate towards succeeding at work.

I worked for the Brick for a while, the people I worked with were mostly all really friendly, and talented. I witnessed extremely skilled sales people, and had the opportunity to learn from various different selling styles throughout the time I worked for the company. This job requires a lot of mental time dedicated towards ensuring all your customers needs are met, and teaches you to problem solve to achieve stats, and ignore moral ramifications. The managers at the location I worked at were all extremely passionate about their jobs, and worked hard to ensure their employees were mentally ready to address the tasks presented to their team. My coworkers all had independent reasons to succeed in their day to day work, and it motivated us all to work hard. However, various company changes subjected the salespeople to different types of work that may or may not have benefited them, or changed the day to day environment we were required to sell in.

Pros

Unique, and extremely talented coworkers, and management, Flexible work space, allow a salesperson to organize their own schedule, Constant customer base, Potential for earning is great

Cons

Over arching higher ups in company do not care about the salespeople, Requires a lot of investment, customers require attention from salespeople for longer than just the sale, also archaic operating systems slow, and sometimes completely hinder the selling process, Top Up system is broken

Impossible to make money. Way way too slow and quiet. Huge turnover of staff.

We got paid hourly unless our commission was higher then our hourly.The truck was that you’d only make commission on delivery….and nothing gets delivered on time.It’s legitimately impossible to make commission. Our best sales team member had never made commission and she’d been there 7months.They’re not very up front about this in the interview and they didn’t provide the tools or an informed trained manager to help you.Refused to fix the heating/cooling and the wifi making the heat wave 28degrees inside and freezing in the winter. And bad wifi and slow systems made customers frustrated.I ended up quitting because of the money.

Pros

-Hours

Cons

Pay, High turnover, Owners disinterested because we weren’t the money making store, Poorly organized warehouse, Zero inventory, good ideas ignored

Competitive workplace with an environment for self-improvement and personal growth

Working at The Brick has probably been one of my best workplace experiences in 8 years. I have never met a more compassionate boss and manager than those that are here at The Brick. Keeping in mind that I did work for a franchise and not corporate. I think the only big thing that I would love to see change at The Brick is a base salary plus commission. It would help to create a little more job/income security while still keeping the competitive environment.

Pros

Kind management, schedule flexibility, get paid for the work you do

Cons

Can be on your feet all day, get paid for the work you do

Laid back management

Good training, supportive low pay. Good online modules to study , bad customers, good working environment . Long hours slow winters, clear responsibility

Highly Recommend

Wonderful experience. Hope to one day move back to my home town and continue where I left off! Best employer/boss I've ever had the privelage to work for and learn from. Very professional!

Sales representative review

The brick is a great place to work with great people. Sales makes good money and there is a lot of teamwork. More like working with a family. The hours can be tricky for some but are not as bad as most.

Pros

Team

Cons

Evenings and weekends

Worst place to work at

Worst place to work at and worst attitude from customer service The manager is a back stabber The sales people are very bad Will never be back there to work or shop

Run Far Away!!

Cut throat sales where you work 12 hour shifts and spend lots of time with a customer and then they come back only to have another sales rep get an easy sale. Probably why you hear the theme song of "Jaws" as a customer walking in here. Flyer items are never on display as you are expected to upsell, and management have God complexes and talk behind your back. Most sales staff cherry pick selling whatever has the highest commission and NOT what the customer actually needs.

Pros

Cons

12 hour shifts, cut throat co-workers, 100% commission based, two-faced managers, outdated systems

Job was for training new sales people

- long days that could end up with no commision for the sales person- stressful and pressured sales techniques used by the company.- not matter what the "holiday was", staff was forced to work

Not a nice job culture!

This is a bRand new store and already they are having bad habits like favoritism, passing the buck, cattiness among co workers and LOTS of drama and coworkers thinking its ok to be rude to each other. Management is not on the same page. Their products are constantly on backorder, so it makes for a lot of angry customers.

Pros

Good sales training, half hour lunch, great employee discounts

Cons

Drama, cattiness, conflicting managers directions

Furniture salepeople can be backstabbers

I didn't like working as a sales associate as you can work with people for hours and then they come in and buy their furniture from another associate and I would get no commission. No wage, totally commission.

It was tough to make commissions and survive.Too much floor competition

The job at the Brick was my first regular job in Canada after I migrated to this country in 2009.It was not a bad experience but took me a while to adjust myself with the environment because of the tough competition and sales pressure.Overall it was fun working at The Brick.

Was a great place to start if you like commission work

I learned a lot at the break being my first commission sales job. I had to learn the hard way with everything but I ended up being a great sales person

Toxic Corporate Culture and No support for passionate staff

The Brick was honestly one of the worst employers I have ever worked for, and this is a tragedy as it had some of the best staff I've ever encountered. There are three major flaws for how the company is run that makes it difficult for staff. 1. How they handle management 2. Bleak work life and growth potential 3. the company's priorities in general. How They Handle Management The company doesn't train it's management.Their training program teaches managers how to avoid HR issues and which metrics are most important for a store. But their MIT (manager-in-training) Program doesn't teach managers how to manage staff, how to make good schedules, how to leverage the skills and aptitudes of their staff, how to handle conflict and descalate scenarios.This lack of training combined with the company's insistence on hiring new management from outside sources leads to very motivated and well-intentioned professionals coming in with no knowledge of how to do their job, no network to lean on as they learn, and no proper training to help them develop the skills and knowledge required to effectively manage staff and their stores. I've seen this in more than half a dozen of the stores I worked in and the employees I worked with during those times. It leads to incredibly stressed management which leads to stressed staff and fostered a very unhealthy work environment for everyone. Bleak Work Life and Growth Potential Relating to the previous paragraph, the stressful work environment caused by management is only compounded by very poor compensation for the work employees do, from -

Productive sales orientated company

Good place to work. Management pushed hard to get extended warranties as part of the sale Problems with back orders not coming in on time. The people who worked there were very nice

Could've been great

Management in dire need of training. Store manager has no people skills. Too interested in cell phone to help. Operations manager is completely hostile. Sales manager was cool. Staff was awesome.

Fast-paced and stressful

Pay heavily depends on who walks in the door when it is your turn to greet customers. Fast-paced on some days but can also be very slow. I get along well with my coworkers even when there are discrepancies with sales.

Not a company i would work for again.

Managment was great but the owner was dishonest and took commission sales away from employees when he was in the store. The computer system is the absolute worst to navigate. Way outdated. Payed minimum wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Brick. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement