The Brick Employee Reviews

Good experience, poor management
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
This was my first real position in my field and it has completely made me rethink my career path. I did learn a lot, but the training wasn't great as I filled a position that was urgent. The people that I worked with were some of the best people I have had the pleasure to know, but management was terrible. The three managers above me were dishonest, sneaky, and the definition of fake friends. I witnessed morale in the corporate office plummet to the lowest it has been in years due to mismanagement. I enjoyed my time there for about 8-10 months, and started looking for other employment after that. Overtime worked doesn't matter when you're on salary. When you try to cash in on that time and leave a little early you're reprimanded, but if you don't work the overtime in the first place you're also reprimanded. It's not a company that treats its employees like family, it is a company that doesn't seem to know that your employees are your strongest asset.
Pros
Great coworkers, good initial learning opportunity
Cons
Poor management
worked here 3 years with no raise
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
worked at the brick beacon hill for 3 years before finally getting a $1 raise... when the federal government implemented a mandatory $15 minimum wage.
A great place for working.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 May 2018
There was a good place to work with good people. I was working as a sales consultant with 100 commission based salary. It was a little bit hard to handle your job but after a short period, I was happy. I got the title of the best salesperson in BC for 8 non-consecutive months and 3 times the best salesperson on nationwide.
Pros
some benefits
Cons
no productive and no fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 September 2018
Working in the brick was one of my bad experience in my life because the environment was unprofessional, unethical and unhealthy. The co-workers were bullying each other and fight for their commission. The hardest part of the job was very long hours and sometime don't get a chance on break, stand; whole day with my feet without have a break. The most enjoyable part to work as a sale person and explain about the promotion. Overall, it was a horrible place for me to work.
Avoid working here
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2018
Avoid working here as a delivery person. Avoid Avoid Avoid. No work life balance. Absolutely no pay raises. Terrible supervisors and managers. Poor and low morale on staff. Multiple injured staff. High turn over. Strategically low pay rates for any new employees after 2015. Pay differences range between $8-$15hr for staff doing the same job
Pros
Receiving alchohol and tips from customers for favors
Cons
Injury and hguh turn over
Hard work only rewarded with mediocre pay and managers desiring even better performance from hard working employees
Customer Service/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2018
Pros: Flexible hours except during September and December. Friendly employees; possibly the most nice and understanding employees at the lower end of the workforce hierarchy.

Cons: Expect to be doing back breaking work without acknowledgement from the company. Pay is NOT worth it and could be found at any other job. Enjoy the luxury of lifting fridges, couches, ovens, and more without ever being allowed to take five minutes to stretch or recover stamina unless being told you're unproductive is something that one could enjoy. Must work for at least 5 Years for advancement depending on department.
Pros
Barbaque/Lunch event for free once a month, Employee discounts on furniature and appliances (although overwritten by sales), flexible hours
Cons
Awful pay for the work done/effort required
I would never recommend working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC25 September 2018
The brick was one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. If you have kids be prepared to be told by the 2nd day you work there "if I would have known you where a single mom I would have never hired you" and if I had to ever pick my kid up because he was too sick to be in daycare I was threatened that I would be fired. even if you are not a single parent and had family duties to take care of hiring laws and family act laws keep your job safe and the brick clearly does not care. the brick does not pay their employees enough to treat their staff like absolute garbage they had little to no respect for their staff will fight and argue in from of customers about the most petty things. I have never quit a job so fast in my life.
Pros
Other sales staff are friendly.
Cons
Managment, staff arguing loudly infront of customers, horrible training program, not family friendly
Good pay....at a price
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC18 February 2018
pros

Good money
Working as a team
Good benefits

Cons

Hours very long days then very short days
Never know when your going to finish
Always working weekends
Split days off
Prommisimg customers things we can’t/shouldn’t do

Summary

If you desperately need money this is an ok job but it comes at a price of having little to no social life especially at the weekends and having split days off makes it all the more harder to organize anything could be organized so much better maybe this is why they have a very high staff turnover.......
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North York, ON6 January 2019
Great place to work for, management team there are phenomenal. Staff are pleasant and always willing to help. There are no regrets working for The Brick.
Pros
Management always willing to work with you in any circumstances
Cons
Not much advancement
Too much pressure
Sales Associate (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 October 2018
Very productive company but too much advertising hence a lot of pressure on sales associate to perform well and put in long hours , lowering the rate of commission in case of a price match .
Pros
Very active and uptodate
Cons
Too much pressure
Good Manager bad place to work
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2018
As a Sales representative you can expect to work under the pressure 24/7. You work only on commission and if you wanna make more than minimum wage you have to work more than 40 hours week. Tipically the top sales people work every single day.

However, even working on commission you cannot define your schedule. It’s expected from you working 8 hours and 30 min a day. You have to get there 30 min earlier to clean your area. After that you can start working.

The environment is very competitive, and you feel underpaid for the kind of job. There are so many unrealistic goals to achieve that you will feel you are a horrible sales person even when you are doing great.

The only positive thing was my store manager, who is a nice guy.
Pros
The manager
Cons
Almost everything
Great opportunities for advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
This company has many opportunities for advancement down the line and is a great opportunity for growth. Work can be demanding based on the time of season. Great sense of community, staff members are very engaging and friendly. Good benefits and discounts.
If you're a hardworker
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON14 November 2018
The place isnt bad to work at the work is decent like any other job in this category. The management is toxic and you get treated like absolute garbage and not like a human being. This location needs an undercover boss to see how the employees actually get treated it's that bad. They also try to get you to do unsafe work.
Cons
Management, not flexable, toxic
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 December 2018
There is no communication between managers is they are never on the same page. There is no proper training programs for new staff. Most sales consultants do not understand how extended warranties work for products and are sold incorrectly.
Pros
flexible
Cons
management
Warehouse great environment
Senior inbound operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2018
I spent almost 8 years here, the people are amazing, the work is enough to keep you busy the whole day and there is great job security
I would highly recommend working for the brick
Fun Time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 September 2018
Work in the office and take calls send emails, process invoices and payments, I learned how the furniture store operates, Management was easy going, down to earth and very appreciative, always providing incentives, I didn't have any trouble with my duties and really enjoyed the whole job.
Pros
Incentives and lovely work team
Cons
Random work shifts
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 November 2018
In the typical day in the customer service area was having at least an hour a day just getting yelled at and sales people making everything to extreme. The workplace was 98% male and had sexism and racism as i was not Punjabi and 97% of mu coworkers were. However, the rest of the girls behind the desk worked together to make the days go bye.
Pros
Half hour lunch
Cons
Most of the time i had to work through my lunch at my desk.
ok job
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  montreal8 February 2018
ok job not much room for advancement, no big raises or much vacation time, had good bosses was there for a long time no complaints, just a good fulltime/part time job
Great people, fun staff but very low overall wage and lousy Gm.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK18 July 2018
show up on time is the best, being late is obviously a no-no and early you'll get hounded by the gm about non essential garbage before you even have your sunglasses off.

the staff other than that are rather amazing, helpful and mostly everyone gets along in and outside of the workplace. definitely the best part of the job.

the hours and shifts are all over the place, you never have a set schedule and are constantly moving around your home schedules, appointments, daycare and such just to fit. this becomes a job in itself. not a good place to work if you still want to have an outside life

hardest part is dealing with the low stock levels and constant push back of orders. not pleasant dealing with clients who are upset after their orders get pushed back a month or so time and time again. and who can blame them for being upset. Head office doesn't care about its staff or customers!!!
Pros
Staff
Cons
Stock Levels and General Manager
overall good experience
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 February 2018
sometime stressful but its was a fun most of the time. staff was good and salary was alright as i was a part time employee. Selling furniture was a good experience overall.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Brick. Our community is ready to answer.