The Brenda Strafford Foundation

The Brenda Strafford Foundation Employee Reviews

Great place to work, supportive staff/co-workers, opportunity for career growth

I have been employed with the BSF for 3.5 years. What I like about this company is they work collaboratively with educational institutions to ensure senior health care is at the fore front of the service we provide, our achievements speak to this. Person centered care is engrained into every employee coming to work here which makes work expectations easy to meet. As an employee I feel the BSF executive listens to my thoughts/concerns, values my work, and recognizes staff contributions which make me a content and productive employee/manager.

Pros

collaborative practice, opportunity for career growth, fantastic co-workers!

Cons

can be long hours for management

People make the difference.

I have been a part of the Brenda Strafford team for over 10 years. During my time here I have felt supported to achieve and develop my personal professional goals. The Brenda Strafford Foundation believes that its staff are valued and make the difference we envision for each other and those we serve. They do this by investing in education, research, professional advancements and are strength based in their approach. Overall, the Organization truly values people and emphasizes their development, contributions and achievements and for this I am grateful.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Ever changing environment

Collaborative and supportive workplace

Really great program manager, nurses, and healthcare aides. They help me as a new employee. When I have more experience, I help them as well. Some people are mean but I received great support from the supervisor and other nice coworkers! Great support to employees who injured themselves! The residents are really nice and humorous, who always makes my day! I really want to compliment the great workers here haha.

Pros

nice residents, great pay, nice supervisor, program manager, nurses, and coworkers

A great place to build a career

I have worked with BSF for the last 8 years, during this time there have been plenty of opportunities for growth through leadership programs, scholarships, etc! The Management team is kind and understanding of their employee's personal lives and supports us as individuals overall an excellent place to work !

Pros

Room to grow, advancement not only within the company but in personal education.

Fast Paced Environment, Fun to Join

A beautiful new building in the University District of Calgary, a neighborhood with lots of restaurants, shops and housing popping up. There are lots of opportunities for research and innovation at the building. It is a fast-paced work environment but a great team to join.

Why bsf?

I have been working with BSF for years and up to the present. Working here makes me feel valued and a core part of the team. Though at times, workloads can be overwhelming, my job remains stimulating and challenging. Salary and benefits wise, they are competitive enough to keep me working here. More than that, teamwork is never absent. everyone is helpful more so during short staffing. The management listens to anyone's concerns and grievances if there's any. Most of all, the opportunity to grow and develop to achieve measurable results is possible at BSF.

Great Place to Work

I have worked at the BSF for two years and love it. They are very supportive and constantly looking for improvements to contribute to the lives of the residents and the staff. They constantly have employee engagement functions and put a lot of focus on being a great place to work. The management team doesn't always follow up as they should due to being busy but are always available. You are very busy at work but the workload is not unreasonable. They believe in promoting within.

Pros

Employee Engagement, Busy, People First

Cons

Casual Employees can have a hard time getting shifts

Recommended VERY GOOD Company

I enjoy working at BSF - Wenworth manor, the most important thing for me, nurses/ immediate supervisor are helpful, understanding very flexible ,just and fair and "no politics style" it doesn't matter where you are working morning, evening nights. about co workers majority are good and well experienced , few lazy looking after other faults. but still ok to work, about the manager and top management i cannot say anything for now,

Caring staff and open door policy

Home for residents who came from different walks of life. Staff are caring for their residents with good camaraderie. Management has an open door policy. Unionized.

Toxic Environment But Learned A Lot

When I started working here, the mistrust between staff and the bosses are pretty obvious. I tried my best to help change this culture in my own little way but I myself was not satisfied with the management team. Well for a start, I was paid less to most of my colleagues considering my experience but it was not recognized. Then the support/training was just ridiculous. Good thing I am not there anymore but I learned a lot on how to NOT have an ideal workplace that promotes a positive environment.

Pros

company innovation

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, toxic environment

Not recommended

Worked 6 months on this company and experienced bullying on my first day of training. Staffs are so unprofessional and view new staff as their competitor. Seniority really sucks! The boss always sneaks on you and think that you are are thief. Casual line schedule was unfair and sometimes no work for a month?!!!! HCA staff are bossy!

Toxic workplace

Toxic culture and they expect you to do things that are not apart of your job. If you say anything even slightly negative they will somehow know and reprimand you for it. Management is often condescending and will never ask for your side of the story, it only matters what side they hear first. Would absolutely not recommend working here.

Pros

Sometimes give you treats on fridays

Cons

Workplace culture.

No human right

There’s no human right working at here at all especially during the pandemic. You are only allowed to work one place and no extra shift to pick up, the salary is unfortunately too low to cover your life. If you apply for leave of absence, management will push you to resign. Yes, that is it.

Pros

Cons

Working pressure, horrible management

Horrible place to work

I worked at the Okotoks location for many years, it was great at first then once management switched new hands became my worst nightmare, lots of racial discrimination, very poor Staff and residents Care even worse. You would care for 15-20 people on your own then get yelled at for being to slow, proper care is not given to residents and management just want staff who come in, shut up and keep quiet, if you stand up for residents they pick on you and get rid of you. I would never work there again or out a family member in their care.

Pros

Close to where I lived

Garbage

Garbage company to work. Discrimination and hatred in the air see, feel and take. Stress is high. Management favours only who they like. Staff quits only because of the manager treats unfair. Turnover high.

Unfair Termination

I was hired recently at Clifton Manor. The hiring process took a total of 2 days before I was on the floor due to their need for staff. I thought it was going to be an amazing opportunity, until I found out why I was hired AFTER my orientation. The only good thing they offered was the pay and I could pick out a handful of staff and their educator as the only one who helped me with the orientation process. While I was hired, this facility was covid free. I thought I was being hired as a nurse to work for the facility, but I was wrong. They forgot to tell me that they were hiring me in replacement of their permanent staff who in the case got sick because of covid, there would be me to replace them. Because this hiring reason was not clarified to me, I was terminated with no prior cal or with no real reason tfti termination, after I didn’t pick up a shift for one month (the facility went on outbreak a week after I got hired). All they sent me was a termination letter that was sent in my junk mail, and they did not follow up with my questions as to why I got terminated. Sad, sad, management. The least they could have done was give me a call to explain the termination. I’m fglad I was let go otherwise I would have a bad working experience there as they don’t treat staff like staff, they see staff as easily replaceable.

Great team

It was a good experience .learnt a lot of things there.Would recommend others to work there.Flexible schedule.Great support from colleagues. Friendly

help me grow as a HCA

a typical work day, cared for the residents which included prep food for them as well as their bathroom needs. reporting on their health being mental or physical

Such a great place to work!

I'm lucky to be working at a great place as Wentworth Manor. The team is so great to work with. I have been supported academically to upgrade and pursue practical nurseing. I have worked many places but this is the best by far.

Fun workplace

Nice place and good organization/management to work with, its fun working with seniors. good environment and all staff are friendly. likewise company benefits are great,

good place to work,

teamwork and patient care were excellent. administrative staff were helpful to the staff and they recognized your work. They really want to be always on top of quality service and maintaining quality patient care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Brenda Strafford Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement