The Brenda Strafford Foundation

Working at The Brenda Strafford Foundation: Employee Reviews

Canada90 reviews

residentseniorfacilitystaffcareteamlearnthing

Stressful and High Pressure

No matter how well you did your job here, management would always focus on the negative. There is no encouragement to correct mistakes you make cause you are reminded daily. Not sure how management got to being there, but most of the upper staff is miserable and only smiles when you make a mistake. Very negative attitude

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Very demanding

They are a great company if....

Coworkers really great, (except a couple hidden "employee of the years", that are actually abusive) Pay is okay, only thing is, they are NOT work life balanced and have no compassion for employees. They give you opportunity, but they'll take it away instantly if you have any other priorities outside the workplace. (Like your kids. Or your own health, the important things in life). They also have a pretty unprofessional way of communicating concerns. I've never been punished for anything via email, without being able to have a voice or being able to defend myself, til now. No real reason, no reply to any questions on their decision.. In my opinion, if you want security I'd find somewhere else that is serious about finding the right people for the job. . Too often management heads are bigger than their genuine interest in finding someone that is actually serious about their career and qualified for the role. It's unfortunate, but it happens a lot. Save yourself the tug of war. ...It's not about quality of care here. It's about managements need to feed the ego. If they would just look a little further than that, they'd see whats really going on. It's a shame. Merry Christmas.

Insights into The Brenda Strafford Foundation

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Supportive environment
  • Sense of belonging

Sad Excuse for Management

This company has a below par management team. No ideas will be heard, no one will listen, you will not be cared for and you are looked upon as just another fee to keep the company alive. I highly suggest to stay away from this company as a current employee. It is run by money hungry, power hungry people who do not care about their residents whatsoever. The sense of family and love was sent out the window a long long time ago and was replaced with dollar signs and suit and ties.

People are fun

The people you work with are the best part. No wage increases in the almost two years I worked there, management doesn’t make goals for progress or to help you succeed and grow within the company.

Pros

Staff appreciation, people, residents are awesome

Cons

No pay raises, miscommunication.

Fast paced but lots of educatioal learning

Fast pace workplace. Management provides enough support for staff. New staff get multiple orientation to ensure that they are ready to work the floor independently.

Overall an okay place to work

Nothing too fancy. They have a lot of events to boost culture and normally lots of job opportunities open. I think the issues you face here are no different than what you would face in any work environment.

face paced, very busy workplace

management is always changing, no stability in leadership. residents make the days worth it. good team below management level. usually very busy but well worth the time and effort to care for the residents

They solve any problem as soon as possible.

Employees have more motivation to learn new skills Work life balance benefits Best Words to Describe FunChallengingRewardingCollaborativeFlexible

Pros

They give incentives

Cons

payment is not enough

Underhanded and dishonest

I was so excited to start with this company. Loved the idea of working with seniors. Received little to note training, very difficult to get management to listen, and when you do speak up they find a way to shut you up. Very unorganized and drama filled. Ruined my career aspirations by how poorly I was treated. And worse seeing how the seniors were spoken to and treated, I wouldn’t leave my loved one in their care.

Pros

Working with seniors

Cons

Low pay Drama Hours change without warning Low pay

Great place to work, supportive staff/co-workers, opportunity for career growth

I have been employed with the BSF for 3.5 years. What I like about this company is they work collaboratively with educational institutions to ensure senior health care is at the fore front of the service we provide, our achievements speak to this. Person centered care is engrained into every employee coming to work here which makes work expectations easy to meet. As an employee I feel the BSF executive listens to my thoughts/concerns, values my work, and recognizes staff contributions which make me a content and productive employee/manager.

Pros

collaborative practice, opportunity for career growth, fantastic co-workers!

Cons

can be long hours for management

People make the difference.

I have been a part of the Brenda Strafford team for over 10 years. During my time here I have felt supported to achieve and develop my personal professional goals. The Brenda Strafford Foundation believes that its staff are valued and make the difference we envision for each other and those we serve. They do this by investing in education, research, professional advancements and are strength based in their approach. Overall, the Organization truly values people and emphasizes their development, contributions and achievements and for this I am grateful.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Ever changing environment

Collaborative and supportive workplace

Really great program manager, nurses, and healthcare aides. They help me as a new employee. When I have more experience, I help them as well. Some people are mean but I received great support from the supervisor and other nice coworkers! Great support to employees who injured themselves! The residents are really nice and humorous, who always makes my day! I really want to compliment the great workers here haha.

Pros

nice residents, great pay, nice supervisor, program manager, nurses, and coworkers

A great place to build a career

I have worked with BSF for the last 8 years, during this time there have been plenty of opportunities for growth through leadership programs, scholarships, etc! The Management team is kind and understanding of their employee's personal lives and supports us as individuals overall an excellent place to work !

Pros

Room to grow, advancement not only within the company but in personal education.

Fast Paced Environment, Fun to Join

A beautiful new building in the University District of Calgary, a neighborhood with lots of restaurants, shops and housing popping up. There are lots of opportunities for research and innovation at the building. It is a fast-paced work environment but a great team to join.

Why bsf?

I have been working with BSF for years and up to the present. Working here makes me feel valued and a core part of the team. Though at times, workloads can be overwhelming, my job remains stimulating and challenging. Salary and benefits wise, they are competitive enough to keep me working here. More than that, teamwork is never absent. everyone is helpful more so during short staffing. The management listens to anyone's concerns and grievances if there's any. Most of all, the opportunity to grow and develop to achieve measurable results is possible at BSF.

Great Place to Work

I have worked at the BSF for two years and love it. They are very supportive and constantly looking for improvements to contribute to the lives of the residents and the staff. They constantly have employee engagement functions and put a lot of focus on being a great place to work. The management team doesn't always follow up as they should due to being busy but are always available. You are very busy at work but the workload is not unreasonable. They believe in promoting within.

Pros

Employee Engagement, Busy, People First

Cons

Casual Employees can have a hard time getting shifts

Recommended VERY GOOD Company

I enjoy working at BSF - Wenworth manor, the most important thing for me, nurses/ immediate supervisor are helpful, understanding very flexible ,just and fair and "no politics style" it doesn't matter where you are working morning, evening nights. about co workers majority are good and well experienced , few lazy looking after other faults. but still ok to work, about the manager and top management i cannot say anything for now,

Caring staff and open door policy

Home for residents who came from different walks of life. Staff are caring for their residents with good camaraderie. Management has an open door policy. Unionized.

Toxic Environment But Learned A Lot

When I started working here, the mistrust between staff and the bosses are pretty obvious. I tried my best to help change this culture in my own little way but I myself was not satisfied with the management team. Well for a start, I was paid less to most of my colleagues considering my experience but it was not recognized. Then the support/training was just ridiculous. Good thing I am not there anymore but I learned a lot on how to NOT have an ideal workplace that promotes a positive environment.

Pros

company innovation

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, toxic environment

Not recommended

Worked 6 months on this company and experienced bullying on my first day of training. Staffs are so unprofessional and view new staff as their competitor. Seniority really sucks! The boss always sneaks on you and think that you are are thief. Casual line schedule was unfair and sometimes no work for a month?!!!! HCA staff are bossy!

Toxic workplace

Toxic culture and they expect you to do things that are not apart of your job. If you say anything even slightly negative they will somehow know and reprimand you for it. Management is often condescending and will never ask for your side of the story, it only matters what side they hear first. Would absolutely not recommend working here.

Pros

Sometimes give you treats on fridays

Cons

Workplace culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Brenda Strafford Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement