The Bouchier Group Employee Reviews

Good place, work with lots of diffrent people. And diffrent cultures, all across Canada.
Operator/ labourer (Former Employee) –  Cnrl/ kearl/ firebag19 January 2018
Well been there off and on for the last 8 years. And its over all been good. Thats until this HR came in!!! What a bunch of fricken fools!! Nobody seems to know what going on or what happening at different sites. There's way to many of them! Watch your back!! Your just a number there!!!!
Pros
Good people!! who you work with. Make new friends!
Cons
Watch your back!! HR sucks!!! Sooner fire you then train you. The right way.
Good Co-Workers Poor Management
Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2017
My team with Bouchier is filled with great hard working people who are easy to get along with. The management continues to make poor decisions on all three sites I've worked at with Bouchier. It's all about ''who you know'' and not ''what you know''. If you have a connection you will move up in the company but if you do not you'll never leave the bottom of the totem pole.
Pros
Accommodations
Cons
No chance of progression
glad to have been a part of the company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 September 2017
Great people to learn from and understand the construction process and learn what to and not to do as a manager. The benefits are awesome. The salary is fair.
Not accomdating to my needs
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 June 2017
Did not provide secured, permanent employment .

Did not support my disability to reading and writing

Did not secure employment there for a long time and was laid off
Great company to work for
Equipment Operator / Fuel Truck/ General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 May 2017
Very good company to work for, especially just starting out. Management was good as well as supervision. Great work environment and very friendly co workers. Nothing bad to say about the company and the people that work within the company.
Worked very hard but hard work not recognized
Operator (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB1 May 2017
Lots of people sleeping in equipment and doesn't seem to be an issue ..... if your native. Worked my butt off and was still laid off. Being a safe, efficient and professional operator didn't seem to matter. Pretty disappointing.
Pros
Flights, camp
Cons
Poor management and favouritism
Cliques and poor management
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills19 April 2017
If you don't know someone or your not of native decent, you will not succeed. Regardless of your operating skills, inter personal skills, or effort given you'll be treated like your disposable and receive no acknowledgement.
Day to day operations are poorly organized.
Pros
Flights, camp
Cons
Cliques, really poor management
A safe and interesting place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB1 April 2017
Catching the bus to the laydown, having our safety tool box, than our stretching prior to going to work. filling out our Job Safety Annalises and FLHA"s, once on job site with our equipment.
I learned that the oil sands industry is a very safe work environment.
The management has their job, and it is what the owners dictate to them. The culture there is very bias. depending on your race or culture.
The hardest part of the job is watching some employees advancing quicker that others.
The most enjoyable part of the job learning about the oil and gas mining industry. Watching how all the different contractors worked together to put a complete plant together to extract oil from the ground. And leaving completed digs looking better than natural.
Pros
good turn a rounds and money
Cons
some company policies
great safety culture
Heavy Equipment Operator/ Class1A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 March 2017
The Bouchier group was pretty big on safety so great safety culture out at the kearl site for bouchier. Which is good. so didnt mind that at all. safety first.
Very Poor Upper Management, and extreme favoritism
ex employee (Former Employee) –  Multiple Sites8 January 2017
Way to much favoritism, lack of real support from upper management, and the overall feeling of just being a number.
The company was good in it's early years, they now seem to have forgotten the workers who got them to the place they are now.
Bouchier is however, a good starting job in the oilsands.
Pros
Good shift options
Cons
Negative work environment
Wow just another native outfit that think there in title
HEO (Former Employee) –  Albian7 January 2017
From the start management backwards lead hand no clue I though going to this up and coming outfit was going to be direct nop I was wrong .stay away
Pros
Flights
Cons
No clue for management
Terrible Forman
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 December 2016
The coworkers were awsome.

The supervisor I received was terrible. Tried to bring up issue and was shut down. All coworkers were unhappy with him but afraid to speak up. Was very disorganized.
Everyone wanted to trade to to the other shift.

I think as a whole Bouchier is a good organization if you get the right supervisor.
Pros
Coworkers were great
Cons
Terrible Forman
Great crews, horrible upper management
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB7 November 2016
The workers at Bouchier (CNRL) are great. Supervision plays favorites but they do seem to try to keep everyone working. Until the time to choose comes, then its friends first.
RIDICULOUS management structure. Supervision and lead hands seem to be the ones out running around trying to find work. Makes you wonder what the people making the big bucks actually do.
Im yet to see any benifitial contributions made by the site operations manager. Should he not be the one doing bids, quotes and securing work? From what I hear he does ZERO. Except collect a big pay check.
Overall Bouchier is good to work for, when they actually have work for us. But we get sent to camp quite a bit due to lack of work.
I have worked all over the oilsands and in my experience site/operations managers have a constant presence and are involved in all aspects of the site. That doesn't happen at CNRL with Bouchier.
We need an operations manager that can keep Major Projects working. Or at least tries.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management is disengaged
Expect to shovel if you are an equipment operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Impierial24 October 2016
Only way to get into equipment there is if there buddie is sick expect to be on a goon spoon and be treated as a goon your self, and as soon as your back starts to hurt expect to get laid off
Pros
Camp, 10 on 10 off
Cons
Really bad managment its not even organised chaos
All around not a good management. Favoritism is a big thing
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cnrl horizon13 July 2016
1st week was awesome. Till started to see the favoritism with in thr superior roll! Seen how it was to get a head not by working hard & or safe/smart.in all honesty this would be a great place to work but the MANAGMENT is horrible.
Pros
Fly in & out camps
Cons
Very bad management "supervisors" CNRL!
Great company overall!
Labourer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 March 2016
Really good company strict on safety and doing good work and they seem to care a little bit more about the employee then most companies
Good workers,terrible lead hands. Too cliquey
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Cnrl,Kearl Lake15 December 2015
Met some good people . Too bad the supervisor's heads are too big to be able to recognize the ones who make them look good.The CNRL HORIZON group are the worst. I spent time at Kearl Lake with Bouchier & it was totally different. Well organized & everyone is treated with respect.
Pros
Equal time of work & days off.
Cons
Very cliquey, too much playing favourites.
Excellent company to work for
Maintenance Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Horizon5 December 2015
Great company to work for. Competitive wages,they promote excellent cores values. Committed to excellence. Would definitely work for them again.
Cons
its not how hard you work, it only matters who you are friends with
laborer (Former Employee) –  Firebag, Suncor26 March 2015
Supervisors recognize employees that are friends first, ignoring other hard workers who have the experience and drive to advance in the company.
Pros
14/14 shift
Cons
Hired on as permanent, then told job is seasonal after 3 shifts.
Productivity and good transpotation
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Fort mc Murray AB18 May 2014
Good management
Learn to work safely at night time
Good helpful management
Take care of one another in a remote area
The hard time it was when its too cold but I managed
Enjoyable part it was during our toolbox meeting every body was
involved
Pros
Nothing free
Cons
12 hrs at night 5, 5, 4 shift