The Body Shop Employee Review

View all The Body Shop reviews

Fun and Friendly work place with flexible hours
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2013
A typical day at work includes: getting updated on the sales going on for the day, products we may have gotten in or ran out of. We are also told our goals for sales, ATV and number of memberships to sell. We then go about greeting and helping customers with their wants and needs. This sometimes means looking up ingredient lists for people with allergies, calling other stores to see if they have a product, asking about the customers skin types to figure out the best product for them. It could also mean helping someone find a gift, which can be complicated or easy depending on how much they know about the person. Very rarely have I had to resort to a simple gift card rather than finding a suitable gift that people of all ages and likes would enjoy. I have learned about various ingredients that a only found in products found at the Body Shop that help support community fair trade or that are healthier than regular products you could find at other stores. The management is great, but sometimes hard to learn info from and I have had to look up information on the company website. The hardest part of the job is that there are not many hours to be had. the most enjoyable part is being at work! My co-workers are great and have a great knowledge base of the products themselves so we often help each other out. Another part I love about this job is that it is not just about sales as many retail jobs seem to be. I spend a lot of my time actually getting to know all about the customer and we become more friends than the usual customer-sales associate relationship that leaves you feeling  more... like a machine rather than a person.  less
Pros
flexible around school, ethics, helpful co-workers
Cons
few hours

Other The Body Shop Employee Reviews

Fast pace work environment working as a team
Seasonal Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 April 2018
Working at The Body Shop taught me how to interact with customers in person. It taught me excellent communication skills and how to deal with queries they may have about the products. Working during the holiday season taught me to work under pressure, especially since there would be a influx of people at any random moment. My time at The Body Shop helped me work with efficiency and with proper time management. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the store being completely full of customers and having to multi task with them, however, working as
a team with the other employees made it much more enjoyable.
I feel valued!
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 March 2018
This is the most rewarding job I've ever had. I didn't think I'd ever return to retail, but I don't consider this to be the same old retail job. This is The Body Shop, and with it comes with a culture of support, connections, and selling solutions over products.

Head office is easily approachable, and strive to keep even customer consultants on a first name basis. District Sales Managers are supportive and accessible. The recent sale to Natura shows a real shift back to the basics of The Body Shop, including community involvement and activism. This brand has real values, and it's a joy and a privilege to know that I'm a part of supporting community trade, human rights, the planet, and ending animal testing.

Benefits are great. FT employees are offered amazing health coverage and benefits. There is a generous fitness reimbursement, tuition assistance, and access to 24/7 counselling. All employees have access to a discount website, an amazing rate at a popular fitness chain, as well as sales incentives!

If you're hunting for a retail job where you can stock shelves, run a register, and work with little product knowledge, then this isn't the company for you. The Body Shop provides thorough training on products and procedures and encourages its employees to become trusted experts with top notch customer service skills. There are, of course, dollar sales and category targets to be achieved, but I've never felt pressured or undervalued in achieving these. I never, ever want to leave!
Pros
paid volunteer days, management bonus plan, employee sales incentives, approachable head office
Cons
part-time employees not always compensated fairly (opinion)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Body Shop. Our community is ready to answer.