The Body Shop Employee Reviews

Great Manager
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 October 2018
I just got hired in TBS and really loved the fact that my manager is really training people and always available to answer questions despite of only starting in the company months ago. She was moving to different stores and finally got to worl with her permanently. She cares about her team and always celebrate even our small success. We have a great team in Kildonan Place now
Pros
Great team
Cons
Less Hours
Amazing company to work for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 October 2018
The Body Shop is an amazing company to work for. Amazing people, and TONS of benefits. There is lots of training so you can feel comfortable with your job. A benefit of this job is sometimes you get full size products to sample when they are released. The company really cares about its employees, and the environment.
Pros
awesome company, great job!
Cons
not alot of room for advancement
Fun
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2018
fun energetic environment. Lots of learning about new products. For ever against animal testing. Management is flexible with schedule. Lots of opportunities.
Nice smell, good place to work
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City9 October 2018
All the products there are natural and the price is reasonable. Sales Associate would like to give suggestion to customers with a big smile. They are responsible and honest.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON26 September 2018
Was a great company to work for, but management was not great and often could not talk to manager about concerns. The overall company is amazing with so many great campaigns. Loved working for them and the great causes they stood for.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
long shifts
the body shop
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 September 2018
the body shop helped me with my communication skills , learned how to gift wrap for customers , helped me with improving my inventory and count of stock, and i learned how to use the cash register.
Pros
computers
Amazing place to wo
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL18 September 2018
The people were amazing to work with and the environment was great. The amount of paperwork is heavy so if you don’t like signing your name and don’t like reading and learning about the products this is not your kind of job. I worked as a customer consultant for this company for 5 years and it was the perfect first job for someone who loves makeup and skincare products!
Pros
Free items, 50% discount, people, products
Cons
Expected to work every weekend, paperwork
Big on Values, Bankrupt on Valuing Employees/Customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 September 2018
Great products, great company values (environmental protection, animal rights, human rights, etc), but exceptionally poor at valuing their own employees.

Even when I succeeded, hitting and exceeding my store's budget, instead of being congratulated I was asked, "why didn't you do better?"

Was given store layout plans for other stores that didn't fit the shape or size of my store at all and when we inevitably failed at not being another store, I was criticized for that. Somehow I was expected to be a wizard with magical powers over space and time and had my job threatened repeatedly for not being a wizard.

Was promoted into management and offered far less than what the previous individual in that position had been offered when they first started. Was not allowed to hire new staff during the Christmas season. Was not allowed to terminate staff who were actively disrupting the shop, damaging product, and harassing customers.

Was literally told by the Vice President of Marketing herself that we are NOT to view customers as customers. They are "walking wallets" and our job is to squeeze them of every last dime they have, no matter what. Anything less than that, and we'd be out.
Pros
50% off most products
Cons
literally everything else
Loyal, Ethical and Fair. Great place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 September 2018
I have had noting but great experience working for the body shop. The management team are always supportive and care about the people.
Salary supports the work I do and the team I have are fantastic.
Pros
Cruelty free beauty. Lots of free samples, schedules work with school schedules, managers are genuine and caring.
Cons
Wish there was more hours and less people leaving.
Was a Great Seasonal part-time job
Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
Started mornings working in the Stockroom then afternoon would work on the selling floor. Some days would start by Greeting customers at the door or Handing out store coupons as they entered the store.I learned to be a more Confident person, come out of my shy shell.Management was great, The hardest part of the job was sometimes you had too many different Fragrances at once. Would sometimes get a Headache.The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people, we all got along nicely.
Pros
Great Atmosphere and People to work with.
Cons
Was only Seasonal part-time, and the different Fragrances.
Fun and interesting place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2018
Overall everything was good, the staff, management, job perks, product, leadership etc. Only issue is tough taking time off or having flexibility for family life.
Pros
Encouraging and supportive management
Cons
Hours flexibility
Body Shop Alberta Canada
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2018
The District Manager and the Regional Manager need to be replaced. The Body Shop boosts about non animal testing and fair trade etc. but they do not take a look at what's happening in their own back yard. The RM and DM talk bad about employees and gossip to other employees, they are never around when needed and do not have a clear set of expectations. The pay is just above minimum wage and the hours suck. No work life balance at all. The temporary manager at South Centre is a real piece of work. She coaches employees and embarrasses them right in front of customers etc. I would not recommend working here. Wasted 3 years of my life for nothing.
Cons
Boring and not enough pay
Customer consultant and Team leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 June 2018
Upper management doesnt help stores succeed often. if any issues between employees arise that need uppper management attention they dont really help. Nice employees mostly.
Was a good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC22 June 2018
it was a great first job, the people were very nice, the manager was not around much at all, i was lead on that i would be hired on then i'm not sure what happened
Basic Retail store
Retail Stock Personnel (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2018
If you have a passion for retail, is a hard worker, love customers and love learning about beauty products... then you will enjoy your time at The Body Shop!
Pros
constantly learning, product knowledge, gaining customer experience
Cons
long hours, no hours, short staffed, high demand
Good
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2018
Enjoyed working, management was great. Had issues with setting up new displays as we were never sent the right product. Opening and closing the store was fairly straight forward.
Fun enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 June 2018
Its a very fun place to work if you can handle alot of different smells all at once. you learn so much about skin care and what products work best for different skin types. very good place to work.
Pros
paid lunch breaks
Cons
cant think of any
Dramatic
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2018
AT first i loved this company and all of its values and superiors. Having worked for this company for 4 years i can honestly say they seemed to have lost that passion for what the company is suppose to stand for ETHICALLY and MORALLY. They don't treat their employees with much respect and their is a lack of professionalism in all of the Winnipeg locations.
manager is rude
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2018
It smelled really good and I liked how they were against animal cruelty. The discount was 50 percent off which was really convenient. the other sales associates were really nice, unlike the male manager.
Cons
unpaid lunch
Unpacking shipments, replenishing shelves, and managing returned products.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2018
Typically a day began by unpacking the daily shipment followed by replenishing displays and maintaining a cleanly environment. I learned how to properly organize a stock room, make inventory orders, and update daily displays. Management, aside from the regional manager, was notoriously gossipy and difficult to work with. The most challenging part of the job was dealing with the large shipments that came during holiday season. The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence granted to the stock workers.
Pros
Consistent hours as a stock associate and independence
Cons
Difficult management and occasionally hectic days such as Black Friday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Body Shop. Our community is ready to answer.