The Body Shop Employee Reviews

Found 168 reviews matching the search See all 1,444 reviews
No work life balance, over worked under paid, high turn over
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2019
High turn over in the company. No work life balance, not treated fairley. You cant get days off that you book off, pay for management is horrible no room for growth and you dont get any raises most 15 cents.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Upper managenent
Okay
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2019
the management was terrible. they ask you to do all their job, theres no water at the store, you have to listen the same playlist every single day, there is mice, they don't pay for staff meeting, the environment is not good and most of the Time the customers are rude.
Pros
Good products
Cons
low salary, bad management, rude customers, no hours
Amazing company to work for!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 October 2018
The Body Shop is an amazing company to work for. Amazing people, and TONS of benefits. There is lots of training so you can feel comfortable with your job. A benefit of this job is sometimes you get full size products to sample when they are released. The company really cares about its employees, and the environment.
Pros
awesome company, great job!
Cons
not alot of room for advancement
Loyal, Ethical and Fair. Great place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 September 2018
I have had noting but great experience working for the body shop. The management team are always supportive and care about the people.
Salary supports the work I do and the team I have are fantastic.
Pros
Cruelty free beauty. Lots of free samples, schedules work with school schedules, managers are genuine and caring.
Cons
Wish there was more hours and less people leaving.
nice job, no advancement, minimum pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 January 2019
Nice and fun work place to be in, friendly co-workers. But minimum pay, despite the management team saying that they are supportive to pay more than minimum wage. Some seasonal workers were left hanging with no updates about their place in the company once the contract is over, until the last day of the contract.
Pros
easy work expectations
Cons
no advancement
Fun, positive retail experience
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2019
Work environment was great, co-workers were uplifting and positive. Head office is another story, they are terrible communicators and expect store staff to be working at maximum efficiency when they themselves cannot reply to an email after a week. Nevertheless, the job is fun, but at times can put a lot of stress to reach sales targets.
Pros
free products during new launches, flexible hours
Cons
higher management are not genuine, and don't care for store staff
Seasonal with no room for growth
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON27 January 2019
-Seasonal for the company twice and there were always issues with the managers putting people on schedule for times they could not work
-Hires late in the season and does not give comprehensive training to seasonal staff in order for them to do their job
-May be a good place to start off in sales but you will not stick around past seasonal position as they do not keep people on
-Employee discount is deep if you love body shop products
-Spend the whole shift in one zone which is cramped so when people do not want your help, you have nowhere to go and must awkwardly stand around them
A fun place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 October 2018
I enjoyed working here. I learned that the majority of the ingredients in their products are natural and they don't use a lot of chemical preservatives. I enjoyed being able to help customers find what they were looking for. The hardest part of the job was getting to know where all the products were in such a short period of time.
The management team was absolutely amazing and they were very caring towards their employees.
Pros
working with some amazing people
Body Shop Alberta Canada
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2018
The District Manager and the Regional Manager need to be replaced. The Body Shop boosts about non animal testing and fair trade etc. but they do not take a look at what's happening in their own back yard. The RM and DM talk bad about employees and gossip to other employees, they are never around when needed and do not have a clear set of expectations. The pay is just above minimum wage and the hours suck. No work life balance at all. The temporary manager at South Centre is a real piece of work. She coaches employees and embarrasses them right in front of customers etc. I would not recommend working here. Wasted 3 years of my life for nothing.
Cons
Fun work place and people are very welcoming.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2019
A typical day at work requires a lot of customer service and consultations to better understand the customers needs. Learning about the business operations is also a part of my job. i enjoy the work environment and both the management and my co workers are very cooperative in my day to day job activities.
Was a Great Seasonal part-time job
Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
Started mornings working in the Stockroom then afternoon would work on the selling floor. Some days would start by Greeting customers at the door or Handing out store coupons as they entered the store.I learned to be a more Confident person, come out of my shy shell.Management was great, The hardest part of the job was sometimes you had too many different Fragrances at once. Would sometimes get a Headache.The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people, we all got along nicely.
Pros
Great Atmosphere and People to work with.
Cons
Was only Seasonal part-time, and the different Fragrances.
Fun environment with lots of learning
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 December 2018
Fast moving workplace
Seasonal sales associate part-time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 January 2019
very busy days, on foot the entire shift, breaks after four hours of work only. you are able to get 50% off full priced products but the management are quite rude
Pros
50% off products
Cons
long shifts
Big on Values, Bankrupt on Valuing Employees/Customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 September 2018
Great products, great company values (environmental protection, animal rights, human rights, etc), but exceptionally poor at valuing their own employees.

Even when I succeeded, hitting and exceeding my store's budget, instead of being congratulated I was asked, "why didn't you do better?"

Was given store layout plans for other stores that didn't fit the shape or size of my store at all and when we inevitably failed at not being another store, I was criticized for that. Somehow I was expected to be a wizard with magical powers over space and time and had my job threatened repeatedly for not being a wizard.

Was promoted into management and offered far less than what the previous individual in that position had been offered when they first started. Was not allowed to hire new staff during the Christmas season. Was not allowed to terminate staff who were actively disrupting the shop, damaging product, and harassing customers.

Was literally told by the Vice President of Marketing herself that we are NOT to view customers as customers. They are "walking wallets" and our job is to squeeze them of every last dime they have, no matter what. Anything less than that, and we'd be out.
Pros
50% off most products
Cons
literally everything else
Wonderful
Seasonal Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB31 December 2018
It was the best, probably cause it was my first job. Although i worked there as a seasonal consultant. The people there was amazing, management great.....Will definitely recommend
Pros
Paid breaks
I feel valued!
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 March 2018
This is the most rewarding job I've ever had. I didn't think I'd ever return to retail, but I don't consider this to be the same old retail job. This is The Body Shop, and with it comes with a culture of support, connections, and selling solutions over products.

Head office is easily approachable, and strive to keep even customer consultants on a first name basis. District Sales Managers are supportive and accessible. The recent sale to Natura shows a real shift back to the basics of The Body Shop, including community involvement and activism. This brand has real values, and it's a joy and a privilege to know that I'm a part of supporting community trade, human rights, the planet, and ending animal testing.

Benefits are great. FT employees are offered amazing health coverage and benefits. There is a generous fitness reimbursement, tuition assistance, and access to 24/7 counselling. All employees have access to a discount website, an amazing rate at a popular fitness chain, as well as sales incentives!

If you're hunting for a retail job where you can stock shelves, run a register, and work with little product knowledge, then this isn't the company for you. The Body Shop provides thorough training on products and procedures and encourages its employees to become trusted experts with top notch customer service skills. There are, of course, dollar sales and category targets to be achieved, but I've never felt pressured or undervalued in achieving these. I never, ever want to leave!
Pros
paid volunteer days, management bonus plan, employee sales incentives, approachable head office
Cons
part-time employees not always compensated fairly (opinion)
Great people, Great company
Key Holder/Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON7 November 2018
A typical day changes depending on your schedule. A shift ranges from 4 hours up to 8 hours. Work culture is great and it's never a boring shift because of all the people you get to meet and talk to.
Pros
Free products
productive and fun place
Service In-charge (Former Employee) –  Yamuna Nagar, Haryana17 January 2019
I was in a junior position, but took full responsibility, my role was to bridge gap between technicians, customers and owner, by filing up forms to collecting information of vehicle to be serviced and ultimately getting works assigned and delivering the vehicles back to customers .
Pros
Free tea/coffee and bonus
Cons
weekend not off every week
Great Manager
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 October 2018
I just got hired in TBS and really loved the fact that my manager is really training people and always available to answer questions despite of only starting in the company months ago. She was moving to different stores and finally got to worl with her permanently. She cares about her team and always celebrate even our small success. We have a great team in Kildonan Place now
Pros
Great team
Cons
Less Hours
Love the brand
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2017
I love the brand and the people I've worked with in the last 2 years (broken up). The staff was constantly changing, the pay has not been suitable for the amount of knowledge I have from school as well as through the brand. I am a hard working individual who hasn't been recognized for my efforts, along with many others. They take too long to promote and have searched for external employees to take lead roles. I've built beautiful relationships with our customers and can tell you about every product and can relay a story. Never gave us any free meals or kind gestures for such a high volume location and high targets.
Pros
lovely people and products
Cons
Hard to be promoted, underpaid for high quality service, never acknowledged for efforts or given any benefits, tuition assistance only applies to f/t employees for f/t school, high turnover rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Body Shop. Our community is ready to answer.