The Beer Store

The Beer Store Employee Reviews

Canada350 reviews
The beer store was quite the experience. One must have a knack for organization and a memory for various if not all brands of beer. The ecological responsibility is great too and one will become familiar with the recycling process.
Second to none, the managers and supervisors we're very helpful and treated me very well, if given the opportunity I would return to TBS in a hart beat, I was paid for all the online courses
Pros
Awesome Everything
Cons
Customers will be Customers
Mostly Everyone is miserable. Front-line Supervisors are puppets for management and punching bags from floor staff. For a company that has been in the industry as long as it has, they are so behind the times from people management, operations and inventory control to organization and workflow. They work harder, not smarter
Work/Life balance was the only thing they got right
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
toxix environment
Depending on the location it could take many years before achieving full time status Overall the work at beer store is exciting and if you happen to work in the logistics division you will be able to work outside and in different locations delivering beer
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
May take many years to get full time
typical warehouse job required to be able to left heavy cases and work in hot and cold temperature. Management is very good and approachable. Must be able to work with others
A typical day looks like, you open the store on your own, work by yourself for a few hours, while your deliveries show up, you work empties, and full goods by yourself. Your next employee shows up, and you leave them alone to do the same, so you can get your work done. IE schedule, load management, put away your delivery, rotate your stock, etc. It gets better when you move up to a larger location, as you have more staff. You have little or no recourse with your staff, there is always at least one, overpaid, long-term, union hardcore, that think they have to do little or no work. Addiction problems with Managers, and staff are in every location.
Well I worked there for almost 7 years and an opportunity had opened up, a full time position. I had all the experience for this position forklift/warehouse, retail, opening and closing the store, creating tills for my co-workers, counting/adjusting the safe, key holder supervision and working on the delivery trucks, to cut things short they hired someone else with only 7 months experience within the company had no experience at all and they wanted me to help train him and supervise him.
Working there for several years barely had me above min wage. Benefits and pay are only fair to those who have worked there for decades. Highly toxic (casual racism/sexism/homophobia) behaviour from many customers and even some staff had me feel quite uncomfortable.
The beer store in Kemptville is awful to work at. The one person that is full time Treats you like s*#^ and she takes all the credit. She is a bully and the union does nothing! This is a terrible place to work.
The Beer Store is a relatively laid back job with frequent gaps of time that can be extremely busy. Flexibility at other locations allows you to work as many hours as you like as shifts are often given away by other employees. Very difficult to receive a full-time position but much easier to work 40+ hours as a part-time employee.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Beer Store?
Great place to work, however to love up takes years, and no benefits or perks for anyone who isn't PPT or full time. It's really sad actually. Unionized but not for anyone (again) who isnt PPT or full time. It's sad in that sense. You wanna move up but it'll take years and almost 4 years to get a raise, and ppl tell you it'll take 6 months to get a raise....wrongo
Learned how to sort empties and drive a rider around and build beer orders management was great took care of you hardest part of the job was working outside in the heat but all in all a great place
It is a very productive and inclusive environment. The customers and employees are very nice and welcoming. The work environment is very clean and easy to manoeuvre.
Had a great time working there. Very flexible with hours. Direct management was terrific, but would not say the same about corporate. A great environment as a second job or just a part time gig. Don’t bother trying to make a career out of the company. No chance of advancement to full time ever.
It is not a bad place to work at all, they are very good on flexible hours. Its hard to get paid $14hr starting off as a part time worker. They should review the pastime workers pay after 6months.
I love my job and all the friends I have made there but I am only part time and I need more hours. It can take a long time to be promoted to full time at this company that is the only down side.
Worked in many different Beer stores, all great for the most part with the exception of some managers. Can be very stressful sometimes, and dirty, for the most part a great job while going to school.
Pros
Scholarship programs, Transferring from city to city is easy.
Cons
Getting full time is next to impossible.
Worked at several stores. Loved it till I was under poor management . Different from day to day , I enjoy staying busy and you were always busy working there
The union and people are great and it's a great place to grow. It would be perfect for someone looking to stay for a long period, just be ready to work for a long time before any progression
Pros
Job security from the union
Cons
No flexibility on hours if your at the bottom of seniority
Had some good times with the company, but overall it’s stagnant and uninspired. There’s definitely some great people there, but upper management is stuck in the dark ages. I hope they can turn it around. If not, it comes as no surprise.
Very little chance of advancement and extremely low wage [close to the minimum] relative to difficult physical work and work responsibilities. Management was not encouraging.