The Arbutus Club

The Arbutus Club Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
Chill Place to Work
You know the vibes. Chill af. Get money. Help Members. Juul. Make drinks. Take servers. Give that premium service. Chill af manager. Full-timers work hard.
Pros
Very Flexible Scheduling
Cons
Wage not that competitive (15)
The fitness manager bully you , very close minded not open to any idea so bossy and rude he thinks you going to take his job
its so stressful and too much for only one person sometimes
Official response from The Arbutus Club
6 January 2020
Dear Staff Member,

We appreciate and truly value your input as an employee. We apologize that you had a negative experience working in our Fitness Centre. We are dedicated to improving our processes and employee experience and would appreciate hearing more about your experience so that we can improve things. Please feel free to contact us at hr@arbutusclub.com or you’re welcome to drop by the HR department at the Club anytime!

HR @ The Arbutus Club
Toxic environment at the bistro downstairs.
Bistro FOH manager bully and targets you if she doesn't like you, as well as the lead supervisor. Lots of malice intent.

Weak union. Disorganized. No accountability.
Pros
Steady income
Cons
You'll hate your job everyday because of the majority of people.
having fun works with nice kitchen people
I've still worked at this club restaurant, currently, I still learn many things through the kitchens. However, the wage per hour is a bit less than I expected but overall working in the kitchen is great.
The head chef is so nice person and I am glad to work with still.
Best place to work!
I’ve been a contract fitness instructor for over 20 years and have worked at many gyms. The Arbutus Club is the best by far. They treat us contract workers with respect and let us know how much they value us. The pay is great and the staff and members are amazing.
Pros
Treated and paid well
Fun workplace good experience
Greeted each member and took the members food order. Oversaw the cleaning and organization of the Bistro area. Responded to customer’s concerns and complaints. Oversaw the closing shift duties. Able to make a variety of hot and cold beverages at any time.
Pros
co workers
Cons
Hours
Great Workplace
An amazing work culture that provided so many great working experiences. Worth the time spent there. Would recommend to young professionals. Healthy work environment and very accessible from within Vancouver.
Pros
Connected community
Cons
Limited Growth
Fun and Dynamic Workplace with great people
Really enjoy my job with Arbutus Club. Management is extremely supportive and flexible, the hours are kind on the body and the atmosphere is very positive. The only downside is my current wage, but others in a higher position are I'm sure paid well.
Pros
Discount on all bistro food, always out the door before 10pm
Cons
Shifts are 4 hours at a time so part-timers struggle a bit, potentially
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Arbutus Club?
Excellent and fun workplace
although I didn't work for very long in this company but the staff and people here are just lovely and always fun to be with. One of the best workplace I have worked with.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
location from my place
Great experience
The typical day at work cutting and portion all the food for kitchen stuff to use. I learned how to cut and portion in large quantities in a fast and efficient way made other jobs easy and more quick.
Good job for a student
If you're looking for a flexible, easy job, look no further as this place is an ideal position for a student/ person on the go who needs flexibility .....
Stable Positions with Union
Overall a fairly good place to work. Co-workers are encouraged to help each other out and they are understanding of sudden health issues. The biggest downside is the lack of "Additional" staff, meaning if more than 1 person is sick or on vacation, everyone ends up working at least an extra day or two. Recent CEO Change so please disregard my rating of the CEO as we've had him less than a month, although so far he seems pretty good.

Regardless of department, the typical day involves a lot of customer service since this is a private club. The upshot is they veto the members fairly well and have good communication, so the likely-hood of a serious issue with a member is fairly low.

Management is a mixed bag- some are willing to go out of their way to help their employees, other's refuse the advice of people who have worked in the field or department for years. Overall, expect any major improvements to the departments to take a few years.

The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with various pitfalls caused by poor-architecture or penny pinching. Many positions require long standing hours and do not have fatigue mats or chairs. Limited signage allowed throughout the club mean reminding people of the same 3 rules and answering the same 5 questions over and over again, every single day.

On the upside, it's a family place, so If you like kids, there are always a few who'll decide you're the best thing since sliced bread and come to you for advice and help. It helps break up the day.
Pros
Christmas Bonuses, Full-Timers have health benefits, Most departments have additional perks, once past probation the job security is great
Cons
No additional Staff, No Part-time health benefits, Base perks tend to be under industry standard, no advancement.
Great Team
Working at the club is such an incredible experience. The management and staff are fantastic. Their work ethic and customer service is flawless. And then we have the members who are the kindest, most generous people you could ever meet. Working here is and has been the most rewarding position ive had.
Pros
Members, Staff, Facilities
Cons
Benefits, Title Structure, Room to move up
Great for students
Management is fantastic at providing work/life balance. Management really goes above and beyond to attend to employee needs. This investment is reflected in employees' efforts as well.
receptionist
it was okay. not bad job. you answer calls and book appointments for members. hardest part would be trying to memorized everything in the first couple training days.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Arbutus Club. Our community is ready to answer.
The Arbutus Club Reviews by Location