The Alex

The Alex Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
I worked in PSH and the team lead only really cared about employees who they liked/were there a long time (or who are related to her). Your voice won't be heard. I was verbally sexually assaulted repeatedly and my boss told me "it's part of the job, get used to it". I don't recommend working in PSH
Often short staffed and no phone calls for coverage. Management is thoughtless. It was very discouraging talking about problems suggesting solutions and no change. Dr's were supportive but at the end of the day they didn't have control of what was happening.
The pay is low, the benefit package is OK, no job security. Beware, this is a company that will fire good staff without notice. In the time I worked there so many people had been fired I have to make a list to keep track. If you have other options take them it's not worth the heartache.
The Alex is a good company and I would definitely recommend volunteering there if you want to do something for the community. Good people and a nice space.
No job appreciation, no job security, only politics, management not helpful. No stability, people get hired and fired all the time. Some areas are worse than others. You will find all sorts of staff, hard working and stressed out all the time to meet deadlines to laid back staff with not enough work, still working for years.
Worked has a truck driver furniture delivery was misinformed misled lied to and put in harms way on a daily basis. Was left alone to deal with mentally ill and drug addicted clients found myself in many dangerous environments ie needles bedbugs violence. I was never informed or trained forfotraining these dealings and found the
Some of the programs and serves that they offer are great. However, this company is very mismanaged and is not conducive to people of colour. For instance, HOMEBASE is well not integrated, the employees are mostly all white with little knowledge on cultural sensitivity. The management their might state that they understand and support inclusion and diversity on the surface, however, they are not inclusive. They are also more willing to go an extra mile for their white clients vs, indigenous and racialized clients. If you are a person of colour and looking for a job there or working there. IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO KEEP TO YOURSELF, HAVE YOUR MOUTH SHUT, AND HAVE AWESOME SUPERFICIAL CONVERSATIONS, otherwise you will be targetted!!!
Pros
great jokes
Cons
very racist enviroment
The Alex is a fun, stimulating, challenging place to work where you will always grow and learn more. We work with interdisciplinary teams to help the vulnerable people in Calgary. I love working at The Alex so much I am a returning employee! I've made friends for life and have the most job satisfaction I have ever had.
Pros
stimulating, challenging, growth
The job is very satisfying! Fast paced must be very resorceful.
Interdepartment team. Make life time of friends. Clients are very vulnerable. Usually the last place they can go
Pros
Flexible and understanding staff
Good Place to work- laid back, fun and great people. Definitely recommend to others to work here. Great environment- it's nice to look forward to coming to work everyday
I am a mental health nurse and 10 yr veteran with the Canadian Forces. I accepted a position with the pathways program of the Alex in Aug 2014 and to be perfectly honest, this has been a dream job for me. Salary is below average compared to Alberta Health but the work / life balance, the team work and comradery among the interdisciplinary teams, and the validation as a health care professional has been amazing. Working a a member of an ACT team has brought new depths to my practice and I love the community setting, no more scrubs, no backstabbing from peers, no Union b.s. And no evenings, no weekends, and no more 12hr shifts.

I love working here and it was well worth the $8,000 pay cut I took to take this position.
Pros
Work life balance, team unity
Cons
below average wages