THAMES VALLEY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

THAMES VALLEY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Absolutely love working for thames valley. Great environment and amazing schools/staff. The only downside is how difficult finding full time work is. It’s tough to find a secure position
Pros
Great hours and pay
Cons
Difficult to secure
I love my job! Not paid fairly for the work we do. Ministry funding is not enough but the kids, colleagues and work we do is very fulfilling.
Enjoyed my employment with the school board very much and I would recommend anyone to be employed by them . Learned a lot particularly working with oil fired boilers h/v equipment and a/c units also deligating work to my staff making sure work was performed to board standards
Pros
Good steady work
Cons
Shift work
I have learned to manage my time, collaborate effectively and become a better teacher each year that I have taught with the Thames Valley District School Board.
Pay rate less than catholic board. Full time process has many discrepancies. Treated as an accessory as opposed to a necessity. Union struggles to provide security amongst workers.
Pros
Consistent work
Cons
Job security
I worked as a licensed tradesman for 5 years at TVDSB. Had a supervisor that micro managed and constantly made racist and derogatory comments towards myself and others with no regard for his actions. The freedom of supervisors are too much and not managed like they should be. On the plus side, decent pay/benefits. And a 40 hr work week. Great for someone looking to hang pictures, drink coffee and look busy. There is room for advancement but they do not help you get the required courses. And if you do there slim to no chance you would get the position.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Micro managed
It is a good place to work. This is why I have been with them for over 20 years, and am seeking another position in their organization. I find that as a whole that their employees are good to work with.
Very good they give NO benefits or vacation pay or good retirement to supply teachers as if we are 2nd class citizens. We have same education or more than contract teachers
Was just a student teacher for TVDSB but the overall experience was fantastic. The teachers were very friendly and super collaborative. We all worked together for the betterment of our students.
best experience I could have asked for. supervisors were very friendly and understanding. staff was all very welcoming. would highly recommend doing a coop in this field
Lots of opportunities for change and growth. Definitely changing with the times, and trying to adapt to new technology. Starting to become more diverse too.
Pros
Many job sites
Cons
I work with a great team of Employees who treat me the same as every one else. From the Custodian, other Teachers, Volunteers, Parents, ECEs and Children this has been the BEST experience for me so far. Very Supportive and Positive!
Generally a reasonable place to work, although TVDSB is not on the cutting edge of education. They prefer to take a wait and see approach allowing other boards to be the pioneers.
Worked in a developmental education class with teacher and another ea. Students ranged in ages and abilities. Lifting, feeding, toileting required, physical and speech therapies given under directions of therapists.
I loved my job. Working with students of all learning abilities, cultures, age ... is very rewarding. Role as a teacher changed over time with societal changes. Teaching, extra curricular, professional development can be stressful. Time management is very important.
You need to have your application available for more the 2 business. Transcipts and diplomas can be difficult to obtain and sometimes impossible to get. Some people made the grevious mistake of not living in the same place as they went to high school. It's not fair to all aplicants and thames school board shpuld know that and fix it
Pros
Cons
Horrible job posting
It's a good experience to work with students but co- workers. Working as a Supply EA is bit challenging as you have to wait for a call. No guarantee for hours
From teacher to vice-principal to principal, I’ve developed and used many skills to collaborate, organize, problem solve and plan professional development in order to improve student learning. I have enjoyed every learning experience along the way.
You are wrong to believe that supply work will help you to get a foot in the door. The Board will always recruit the new graduates first. And as for earning a living from supply work, the chances are very slim. The Board prefers to hire retired teachers. Most often, they are paid at a much higher pay rate than a rookie supply teacher trying to break into the system. Furthermore, there are many cases of retired teachers being awarded long term assignments. Finally, you have to have a connection to get hired unless you teach Music or French. In fact, the principals seem to prefer to have a surplus of teachers qualified to teach French and have them teach other subjects.
TVDSB is great for teachers irrespective of any color discrimination. its fair place to work and learn. TVDSB schools are fully equipped with technology and good supporting staff.
Pros: Flexible Work Hours - can set up schedule to receive calls for the schools you want as well as book off whenever you want without needing to tell anyone why, however be prepared to work half days when permanent staff need to go to the board office for training. If looking to work over the summer - there are opportunities in the Board office. Con: Hours: No control of the number of hours you get - can get no hours in a week or you get a Long Term Opportunity (you work the hours of another staff member while they are off (eg. surgery) Training: There is little to no training for supplies. Be prepared to job shadow prior to entering a school and knowing a secretary prior to going into a school to call on when you are in a pinch will be necessary. Elementary and Secondary school run differently. It's an asset to understand those difference prior to working in one. Management: Principals aren't the same across the board. Reviews: Will only get reviewed by anyone when a principal writes you up and will be under HR scrutiny for 4-8 months Parents and teachers expect you to inherit the brain of the secretary you are replacing as they don't introduce themselves and expect you to give out confidential information. Environment in each school is quite unique. Some are great to work in as a supply while others you will quickly take off your list. Can supply in for any secretary, however HR may not recognize your education to be hired in a permanent position.