THAMES VALLEY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

THAMES VALLEY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
Ok
Very good they give NO benefits or vacation pay or good retirement to supply teachers as if we are 2nd class citizens. We have same education or more than contract teachers
Student Teacher
Was just a student teacher for TVDSB but the overall experience was fantastic. The teachers were very friendly and super collaborative. We all worked together for the betterment of our students.
Unpaid co-op, great experince, formed many great relationships
best experience I could have asked for. supervisors were very friendly and understanding. staff was all very welcoming. would highly recommend doing a coop in this field
Productive and changeable workplace
Lots of opportunities for change and growth. Definitely changing with the times, and trying to adapt to new technology. Starting to become more diverse too.
Pros
Many job sites
Recess Supervisor
I work with a great team of Employees who treat me the same as every one else. From the Custodian, other Teachers, Volunteers, Parents, ECEs and Children this has been the BEST experience for me so far. Very Supportive and Positive!
not on the cutting edge
Generally a reasonable place to work, although TVDSB is not on the cutting edge of education. They prefer to take a wait and see approach allowing other boards to be the pioneers.
Relational and trust building with students every day. I was fortunate to work with very dedicated educational assistants. Loved my job!
Worked in a developmental education class with teacher and another ea. Students ranged in ages and abilities. Lifting, feeding, toileting required, physical and speech therapies given under directions of therapists.
Teaching
I loved my job. Working with students of all learning abilities, cultures, age ... is very rewarding. Role as a teacher changed over time with societal changes. Teaching, extra curricular, professional development can be stressful. Time management is very important.
Post jobs for inadequate amount of time
You need to have your application available for more the 2 business. Transcipts and diplomas can be difficult to obtain and sometimes impossible to get. Some people made the grevious mistake of not living in the same place as they went to high school. It's not fair to all aplicants and thames school board shpuld know that and fix it
Pros
Cons
Horrible job posting
Good place to work if you get a 1.0 LTA/ permanent position.
It's a good experience to work with students but co- workers. Working as a Supply EA is bit challenging as you have to wait for a call. No guarantee for hours
Supportive employer with lots of opportunity
From teacher to vice-principal to principal, I’ve developed and used many skills to collaborate, organize, problem solve and plan professional development in order to improve student learning. I have enjoyed every learning experience along the way.
To be hired, you must know some one.
You are wrong to believe that supply work will help you to get a foot in the door. The Board will always recruit the new graduates first. And as for earning a living from supply work, the chances are very slim. The Board prefers to hire retired teachers. Most often, they are paid at a much higher pay rate than a rookie supply teacher trying to break into the system. Furthermore, there are many cases of retired teachers being awarded long term assignments. Finally, you have to have a connection to get hired unless you teach Music or French. In fact, the principals seem to prefer to have a surplus of teachers qualified to teach French and have them teach other subjects.
Productive and efficient learning
TVDSB is great for teachers irrespective of any color discrimination. its fair place to work and learn. TVDSB schools are fully equipped with technology and good supporting staff.
Supply Secretary
Pros:
Flexible Work Hours - can set up schedule to receive calls for the schools you want as well as book off whenever you want without needing to tell anyone why, however be prepared to work half days when permanent staff need to go to the board office for training.

If looking to work over the summer - there are opportunities in the Board office.

Con:

Hours: No control of the number of hours you get - can get no hours in a week or you get a Long Term Opportunity (you work the hours of another staff member while they are off (eg. surgery)

Training: There is little to no training for supplies. Be prepared to job shadow prior to entering a school and knowing a secretary prior to going into a school to call on when you are in a pinch will be necessary. Elementary and Secondary school run differently. It's an asset to understand those difference prior to working in one.

Management: Principals aren't the same across the board.

Reviews: Will only get reviewed by anyone when a principal writes you up and will be under HR scrutiny for 4-8 months

Parents and teachers expect you to inherit the brain of the secretary you are replacing as they don't introduce themselves and expect you to give out confidential information.

Environment in each school is quite unique. Some are great to work in as a supply while others you will quickly take off your list.

Can supply in for any secretary, however HR may not recognize your education to be hired in a permanent position.
Productive, Welcoming day.
Usually slow and quiet. Summer cleaning is a lot more stressful with moving furniture, working with a high stress level environment. Had a lot of school staff include us with lunches, and after school activities. Best part of the job was hearing about the children, talking with the teachers. Constantly on your feet, a lot to do sometimes no time to finish.
Work as a team
My experience thus far has been one of appreciation for the most part. There have been times that it hasn't. Government is making difficult to make a decent living. and we have challenges with mental health issues.
Great work/life balance, friendly atmosphere
TVDSB is a great place to work. It is filled with very friendly and out going staff who always make the work day go by faster. It has a great job culture and it is a very diverse workplace. They are very flexible with taking time off and has a great work/life balance. Overall, I would definitely recommend TVDSB to my peers and family.
I love my job but would like part time
I love working for Thames Valley District School board. The pay is the best for RECE's, the benefits are amazig however I only want to work part time and that option isn't available for me.
Cons
no part time available
Fantastic environment for children to be learn
* Supervise children on the playground before, during and after school duties
*Bus duties

*Assist wheelchair children to their classrooms

*Assist with feeding, bottles and personal care

*Maintain a safe atmosphere in the classrooms, on the yard and on field trips

*de-escalate potentially harmful behaviours (running off school property, hitting, kicking, throwing objects, negative chatter, etc)

*encourage a positive, fun and motivated environment

*professional development offered monthly
Pros
learning children's names, maintaining relationships throughout the school years
Cons
stressful situations
Variable Management
In my personal industrial opinion, the problem with TVDSB is shaky management, especially among new principals. Training should be much more extensive.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Some Management
very secure job..... but typically afternoon shift
I like my job and have the trust of management to work independently As long as I do my work I not checked up on by bosses. wage is ok. Really helps a lot that I get along with all my co workers and we work together as a team when needed
Pros
no one poking your back for production
Cons
mostly afternoon shift