THAMES VALLEY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Horrible Co-op Supervisor: Stop Gossiping and Pay More Attention to Your Students
Co-op Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 March 2019
I did co-op at an elementary school in the TVDSB with one of the primary grades, but would help elsewhere in the school occasionally. They were mostly really nice, but my main "supervisor", the teacher of the class I helped in, was terrible. My "supervisor" would be on Facebook, or gossiping about students/ staff to some of the other staff members that they were close with until class started (ex. student A's parents are having a divorce or the complaints from the email sent by student B's mother to the teacher). Often there wasn't work for me to do aside from sharpen pencils or clean desks, so I ended up helping elsewhere in the school until class started and this way I could avoid the gossip.
From the first day to the last (September to May), students were working on counting using copies of the exact same worksheet. It's not because they weren't learning, as I often walked around the class checking their progress and helping when needed. Talking to students, I could tell they all knew the material, they just didn't want to complete the sheet because the teacher had nothing else planned and would just tell them to complete any unfinished work or read. Which was often said with a belittling tone of voice, as though they really shouldn't have expected anything else. Sometime in the Winter, my "supervisor" decided to switched it up and started teaching the next topics. However, because they spent so much time on counting, the students were rushed through this much harder topic and the one that came after. Then, regardless of student understanding, my "supervisor" again decided
  more... to go back to the counting sheet. Really, I can't stress this enough, regardless of which student you asked, individually, they all knew the correct answer and how to find it for every possible question relating to this counting sheet, and they could answer in seconds. I have no idea why my "supervisor" decided to go back to this counting sheet when the students were struggling with topics beyond the level of that sheet.
However, I was probably just unlucky with my placement, as most other teachers I worked with at the school had no trouble teaching their students the required curriculum by the end of the school year.
Pros
Most employees are able and have the students' best interests in mind
Cons
Some employees gossip far too much
Challenging with Rewards
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 January 2019
Supporting behavioural and social emotional needs of the students of Thames Valley District School Board. A caring learning environment. Supporting every student, every day!
Pros
hours of Work
Cons
Work place diversity of student needs
Great Board
CONTRACT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Parkhill, ON14 October 2018
Best part of teaching is watching students working hard and exceeding you expectations. The staff was always helpful and every one worked well together.
Pros
Great Training
Secretary and School assistant
Present Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 September 2018
Working with the public as well as staff and students in a high call volume busy office and school environment.

An environment I enjoy, meeting new people and helping them with questions and inquiries.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Higher salary would be beneficial.
Educational Workplace
Supply RECE Teacher (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2018
This is a great place to work! Educating young children is very rewarding and knowing you are helping them grow, is very heartwarming. It is very diverse. I am learning everyday about different cultures and religions.
Experience So Far
OCCASIONAL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Various27 May 2018
Wonderful experience working as a supply teacher with the Thames Valley District School Board so far. The staff I have met are geniunely kind and take the time to answer questions I have. I look forward to go to different schools on a daily basis.
Volunteer
Organizer/Coordinator (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 May 2018
I am a volunteer with the organization so I love it because I get to do so many different types of tasks. It is such a great environment. I find the staff so friendly.
Pros
different tasks
Cons
I'm only a volunteer
Great career
Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 May 2018
Thames Valley has a ton of great schools and many initiatives. There is a lot of available continued learning in this career. It is a career that allows you to plan a significant portion of your job, within given boundaries.
Pros
Great career, benefits, salary
Cons
Government politics
Busy place
Administrative Secretary - Riverside P.S (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 March 2018
Every day we hit the ground running! Never a dull moment and enjoy the opportunities that present themselves everyday! Hardest part of the job is getting the to do list to the to done list. Great bunch of students and families that I deal with.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 February 2018
I enjoy my job here for the benefits and summers off. There is little to no opportunity for advancement in my role and the union supporting EAs is not very strong.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
pay is inadequate
Good Team Work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 January 2018
We work together as a team, supporting each other to offer the best Educational opportunities to our students.

Our school principals listen to teachers, supporting each of us to be successful in delivering the programs which meet the students' emotional, social, and academic needs.

Teaching staff and Educational Assistants are all dedicated in supporting each student to be successful in school.
Pros
Supported environment
professionalism at its finest
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2018
worked closely with an amazing grade 2/3 teacher
tutored children individually to complete certain academic aspects
learned so much from the teacher about how to deal with behavioural children
Thames Valley District School Board was a great place to work.
Primary Teacher (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2017
Teaching full time was a wonderful profession but given the option to retire, I took it. I love being retired but am looking forward to rewarding part time employment.
lunch supervisor
Lunch hour Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 July 2017
great place to work. I enojoyed going in daily and they are very understanding and diverse. They follow all protocols an procedures effectively. I would refer this organization to anymore if you have the chance to work here do it.
Safe, inclusive
Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 March 2017
Typical day at work: check mail, teach 3 classes, do lesson planning and marking during prep period. Sometimes prep period included covering other teacher's classes. Attend after school meetings, including interviews with parents. Bring home hours of work each night.

Hardest part of job would be teaching up to three courses during one class period.

Most enjoyable part of job was being in the classroom with students who were eager to learn and succeed.

It is a safe, inclusive working environment. I received support from faculty and staff.
Rewarding
Noon-Hour Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Summers Corners, ON19 October 2016
Working as a noon hour supervisor was enjoyable. I would spend 20 minutes inside helping children with their lunches and then spend 40 minutes outside watching the play and interact with their firends.
Great Company
Trillium/Guidance Secretary (Current Employee) –  London, ON3 October 2016
Great Company. Enjoy my job. Excellent opportunity for advancement. I like getting to know the students and watching them grow and learn from year to year.
A fun and sometimes challenging place to work.
Lunch Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2016
For the most part, this was an enjoyable job. Staff was always willing to assist when problems with students arose.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with uncooperative students who were disrespectful toward myself and my co-workers.

Some students were a joy to interact with, telling me jokes and sharing funny stories about themselves or their siblings.
Pros
Interaction with staff and students
Cons
Standing outside on cold winter days
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 September 2016
Thames Valley is a great school board to work for, promoting inclusion for all students and education. Love working for Thames Valley.
occasional teacher
Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 January 2016
Great employer, gained a lot of experience and contacts in the teaching community. I loved the interview set up, it was very unique and thoughtful.