Tervita

Tervita Employee Reviews

Canada167 reviews
Billing specialist
This company has a very strong safety culture. They have strong training before you begin any onsite work. They are team oriented with all staff being connected and working together. They are very connected to local and head office Staff through video and remote chats.
Good work environment
Tervita is a good organization to work for. But like all companies in the oil & gas space, they are currently going through difficult times due to 2020 crude oil price drop and COVID-19.
Schedule needs to be adapted in Canadian society
Operators at Tervita TRD facilities work a 7 on, 7 off schedule. Work days are 12 hours a day. Busier facilities have less sit down time, but are more profitable and more secure. Extremely lenient in workers behaviour. Workers from other provinces feel like they are in heaven due to the lack of micro managing. Downside can be unloading vac trucks for hours at a time. Still not labour intensive work. Great company!
Records management
I was hired to come in and introduce a new Records system in order to pick up paper work. Tervita went from a small family owned caring business to a large here's your worker I'd number. It was hard and managers went from great to horrible and evil. I was so happy to have been let go from there.
Fun place to work with good people
I learned a ton about various industries while working at Tervita. The benefit of the organization is that they had a diverse workforce and areas of operations which allowed me to learn and grow.
Toxic Corporate environment
Totally mismanaged and toxic environment made to protect those that are part of "the club". Termination without cause and without warning is standard practice. I put in six years and they fired me over the phone. You never know when you will be next at Tervita.
Bullying is common, I was refused holidays, asked to come in when my wife was due to have a baby and was asked to perform work that I felt was unsafe and was in breech of company policy. They don't respect their employees and they don't follow their own corporate standards and practices with regards to health safety and environment, and to point that out is to put yourself on the chopping block.
No comment
Lots of swings financially
Uncertainty if job was going to be there day after day

Mostly good people to work with

Culture can be dangerous

Lots of good, but lots of bad too
Weak C-Suite Leadership
Very poor leadership from the CEO level with decisions being made be the President/CEO with limited to no knowledge of the business or knowledge of Tervita in general
Pros
Operations side of the business is strong
Cons
Weak leadership at the top with poor direction.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Tervita?
Temp roll with no benefits
It was a very stressful work environment. Management is not forward thinking, stuck in the mindset of “this is how we have always done this”. Not a good work environment.
Toxic office environment
High school toxic environment which includes managers. Bullying and gossip are used like bonding tools. Do not follow corporate policy or practices. Worked over and above job description with no raise in pay. HR is kangaroo court made to protect management. Dismissal without cause used as a regular practice.
Excellent company in the early years
The first ten years at Hazco Environmental Services (Tervita) was awesome.
unfortunately once the company started changing hands and going from privately owned to publicly owned and back again things went downhill.

it
Pros
Good pay and steady work
Cons
Inexperienced management
Diverse and sometimes remote worksites
Long hours in all types of outdoor conditions. Remote sites you need to be self-motivated, Management was in flux during my employment the people I dealt with were great. It appeared middle management had the worst go. Top-end and craft seemed to have the best footing. A considerable amount of nepotism was present throughout and tended to make the workplace culture challenging at times...
Pros
Good rotation schedule
Cons
Rather fractured structure again company was in flux during my tenure.
Management sucked
Management sucks it doesn’t matter if you bend over backwards and do everything you can for the company they will let you go if you refuse to work out of town anymore different people in different provinces make different amounts of money they will overwork you make you stay out of town for months at times and force you to stay send you to the middle of nowhere midnight you arrive in the town to go to work for five in the morning with no meal prep food wise until the next evening
Working for a good company
I’ve been working Sulphur/ Environmental Services, for them a long while. If I leave it because I don’t think I’m ever going to advance wage or work wise. We’ll see. I’d rather stay, just move to different area of work.
Toxic stressful work environment
Management always changes hand, problems always passed off as someone else's mistake. Management is full of false hopes and misleading lies. Performance reviews are never given and no incentive to want to strive for more such as even a little appreciation. Whole atmosphere of the place is just awful. No respect for one another. Safety policies are only there if it is needed to look good but never enforced or really care abou.
Honest Review
I worked for Tervita for 10 months and I was laid off without cause but they are hiring. Here is why.

First, the pay is alright or so-so but it depends on what you can negotiate for a contract.

Secondly, this company claimed to make billions of dollars in revenue but it can not support the simplest need by taking care of its employees such as company vehicles, tools and anything useful.

Thirdly, the mindset is still New Alta which is a budget company that trying to survive and will make you work more than 12 hours without offering assistance.

Fourth, they have hired the wrong Management and Supervision to succeed forward because they do nothing but sit around, don't communicate with each other and are not proactive. It's a Me-Only Environment.

Fifth and Finally, you will be laid off because you are a threat to creating improvement or making changes that make sense.
Pros
Time Off when Schedule
Cons
Company Vehicle, Tools, Management/Supervision
Not bad
It is an okay place to work. Managment seem to like fast talkers rather than hard workers. They preach safety until deadlines creep up then it's no rules. Overall not a bad place tho.
Great Crew
Good crew to work with. Very knowledgeable, helpful, and can have a good laugh with, making the job more enjoyable. Can be busy during the season but breakup will offer a rewarding break.
Entrepenerial Company that turned Corporate
Tervita has evolved from many small entrepreneurial companies that were competitive to a large corporation worried about liability and costs. Lots of years of fun there, but lots of people left behind in cost-cutting measures.
It is ok
It is a good place to start if you are young and eager and need experience, but don’t expect to get any recognition or advancement. Lots of last minute travel. Management is never in the office which could be a good thing. Constantly restructuring. Equipment is old and is constantly needing repairs. Very poor morale.
Review
I enjoyed working at Tervita in Edson and at their Janvier sites. Good operators and managers. If you have an opportunity with them go for it. The company has work across Canada.