Terra Greenhouses Ltd Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Do not waste your time
Sales Associate - Greenhouse (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 June 2019
Got this job as soon as uni ended and was promised full-time work until the beginning of August but they unexpectedly laid me off at the end of May! I wasn't even employed there for a full month. I later found out through a family friend that works with Terra that this is what the company does. They hire college/university students, promise steady work until August and then lay-off most of the seasonal employees at the beginning of June.

Before your first shift, they require you to purchase gardening gloves, their $35 work shirts (which fit small) and $100+ steel toe work boots. None of which was compensated for when I left after barely a month of employment. The breakroom was always crowded with people and the fridge would never close properly due to it being stuffed with everyone's lunches. Additionally, they only had two bathrooms in the building that were never available seeing as none were employee's only. While the sales associates always got their required breaks and lunches I know that the cashiers would work 9+ hours and only receive their unpaid lunch.

The work was physically demanding but not very difficult, and they did expect you to know everything once hired with little to no training on their end. In the brief time that I was there, they could barely give me full-time hours, some weeks I had less than 3 shifts. You are also required to stay late somedays, after your scheduled shift (+30mins), in order to close the store since they are so unorganized. While most of the employees were fun to work with and very nice that does not cover the fact that management
  more... purposefully deceived you right from the word go. I'd recommend that you look elsewhere for a job so you're not one of the unlucky people that get laid off and have to find another job part way through your school/summer break.  less
Pros
You can meet some great people
Cons
Very very unreliable
Joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON23 July 2018
Terra is the definition of disorganized, they demand far too much for new employees and can’t be held accountable. If you’re new on the job, it doesn’t matter, they expect you to know everything in and out of the greenhouse. Management will shut you off and expect you to do jobs on your own when not knowing how to do it, then giving you a bad time for not doing a good enough job. Goodluck to any future employees at Terra, you’ll be pulling your hair out as soon as you get a job there. Workers there are great, but management is absolutely PUTRID! Even for closing, the shifts wouldn’t end on the designated time, for example if you had a shift for 10-6:30, you’d be out at 7, or even 7:30. Awful management and a bunch of clowns who think they are amazing. They give you a list of 10 things to do and expect you to do it all by yourself Goodluck!
Pros
Cons
Everything that had to do with Terra
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON25 January 2017
Selling plants mostly. I learned to communicate effectively with customers. Managers are friendly and helpful. The workplace culture is lighthearted and welcoming. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the overtime is 2 or more hours. Best part of the job are the people there.
Pros
Great people
friendly staff and customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 January 2016
laidback environment and easy to get along with everyone. I feel i wasnt able to grow at the company as i was going back to school