Terra Greenhouses Ltd Employee Reviews in Milton, ON

Very Shady Employer
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON4 July 2019
My Son was part of the group of "summer hires" let go at the end of May/early June. If this is a yearly tactic to cover off the May season, then shame of you! As indicated in other reviews, one must make an initial purchase of a Company shirt and, in our case, a pair of safety work boots, prior to first shift.
Seasonal Worker - Terrible Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 June 2019
So far my employment in terra has been very disappointing. When I was hired as a seasonal cashier, I was promised full time hours until the end of summer, and unfortunately that has not been the case. By the end of May, mine and almost everyone’s shifts in my department were cut down to 10-20 hours a week. In many other departments, the seasonal workers who were promised full time summer hours, were being laid off entirely. I later found out that terra does this every year in order to hire enough student for the month of May.
I also found this unfair because Terra requires you to purchase a $35 uniform shirt, and expensive (on average $100) steel toe shoes.
Management is also unorganized there. As a cashier I have had to stay 2 hours past close on multiple occasions due to the disorganization of my mangers and the stores polices. Also, I have come to realize that corporate has little consideration towards there employees. Many problems throughout the store that employees have complained about for many years have yet to be fixed. Management is aware of these problems, but would rather try and make the store “look good” than to take employees into consideration.
Overall, Terra has been one of the worst jobs I have had so far, and I will not be working there again next summer.
busy, bright, and friendly
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON29 April 2019
As a cashier it was my job to check customer out and answer any questions they had. Terra trains their cashiers very well and prepares them for any questions of side tasks that may arise. they are very understanding of personal commitments and are flexible with assigning shifts.
Pros
fun, busy, free training, customer interactions
Cons
mostly seasonal, only minimum wage, can be slow or very very busy
Good To Work for
Greenhouse Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 July 2018
Terra is a good place to work. Lots of fun. Management is lacking a bit and there needs to be more communication between managers. Salary is a bit on the low side.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON25 January 2017
Selling plants mostly. I learned to communicate effectively with customers. Managers are friendly and helpful. The workplace culture is lighthearted and welcoming. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the overtime is 2 or more hours. Best part of the job are the people there.
Pros
Great people
decent hours
pond specialist (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON31 March 2016
at first there were good hours then they started to slack off on them. good for a kid but wold never pay the cost of living. interesting enviroment though.
Accommodating and personable staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Milton29 October 2014
Terra Greenhouses is a fun, energetic place to work. The management is personable and accommodating for individual needs. The team works hard and most importantly, enjoys their work which makes the customer experience at Terra positive and enjoyable.
Energetic and fun group of people
Department Manager- Perennials (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON11 January 2013
The store manager and the regional managers were very enthusiastic and supportive. Assistant managers were hit and miss depending on the personality of the individuals but this can happen anywhere.
Working outside obviously had its pros and cons with the weather.

I loved being there in the morning with the plants before it got really busy and the heat came on.

All employees are treated as seasonal workers as far as holiday pay etc is concerned even full time, they work all holidays especially during busy season.

Department and store managers are employed permanent full time, year round, but department managers are asked upon hiring to sign agreement to work overtime during busy season but not get paid time and a half.

Employees are required to buy their own shirt (not very hot weather friendly shirt) for $30 plus buy all your work gloves, pruning tools and work boots. I found this excessive financial burden for the seasonal minimum wage employees.
Pros
working with plants
Cons
working all holidays and weekends- usual retail hours