Terra Greenhouses Ltd Employee Reviews

Seasonal Worker - Terrible Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 June 2019
So far my employment in terra has been very disappointing. When I was hired as a seasonal cashier, I was promised full time hours until the end of summer, and unfortunately that has not been the case. By the end of May, mine and almost everyone’s shifts in my department were cut down to 10-20 hours a week. In many other departments, the seasonal workers who were promised full time summer hours, were being laid off entirely. I later found out that terra does this every year in order to hire enough student for the month of May.
I also found this unfair because Terra requires you to purchase a $35 uniform shirt, and expensive (on average $100) steel toe shoes.
Management is also unorganized there. As a cashier I have had to stay 2 hours past close on multiple occasions due to the disorganization of my mangers and the stores polices. Also, I have come to realize that corporate has little consideration towards there employees. Many problems throughout the store that employees have complained about for many years have yet to be fixed. Management is aware of these problems, but would rather try and make the store “look good” than to take employees into consideration.
Overall, Terra has been one of the worst jobs I have had so far, and I will not be working there again next summer.
Do not waste your time
Sales Associate - Greenhouse (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 June 2019
Got this job as soon as uni ended and was promised full-time work until the beginning of August but they unexpectedly laid me off at the end of May! I wasn't even employed there for a full month. I later found out through a family friend that works with Terra that this is what the company does. They hire college/university students, promise steady work until August and then lay-off most of the seasonal employees at the beginning of June.

Before your first shift, they require you to purchase gardening gloves, their $35 work shirts (which fit small) and $100+ steel toe work boots. None of which was compensated for when I left after barely a month of employment. The breakroom was always crowded with people and the fridge would never close properly due to it being stuffed with everyone's lunches. Additionally, they only had two bathrooms in the building that were never available seeing as none were employee's only. While the sales associates always got their required breaks and lunches I know that the cashiers would work 9+ hours and only receive their unpaid lunch.

The work was physically demanding but not very difficult, and they did expect you to know everything once hired with little to no training on their end. In the brief time that I was there, they could barely give me full-time hours, some weeks I had less than 3 shifts. You are also required to stay late somedays, after your scheduled shift (+30mins), in order to close the store since they are so unorganized. While most of the employees were fun to work with and very nice that does not cover the fact that management
  more... purposefully deceived you right from the word go. I'd recommend that you look elsewhere for a job so you're not one of the unlucky people that get laid off and have to find another job part way through your school/summer break.  less
Pros
You can meet some great people
Cons
Very very unreliable
busy, bright, and friendly
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON29 April 2019
As a cashier it was my job to check customer out and answer any questions they had. Terra trains their cashiers very well and prepares them for any questions of side tasks that may arise. they are very understanding of personal commitments and are flexible with assigning shifts.
Pros
fun, busy, free training, customer interactions
Cons
mostly seasonal, only minimum wage, can be slow or very very busy
Great staff
Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2019
Great employers on the management side, co-workers were a blast as well.

Very accommodating with personal knee injury, gave additional breaks when needed.

Bought frozen lemonades for everyone during incredibly hot days.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Unreliable job security
Joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON23 July 2018
Terra is the definition of disorganized, they demand far too much for new employees and can’t be held accountable. If you’re new on the job, it doesn’t matter, they expect you to know everything in and out of the greenhouse. Management will shut you off and expect you to do jobs on your own when not knowing how to do it, then giving you a bad time for not doing a good enough job. Goodluck to any future employees at Terra, you’ll be pulling your hair out as soon as you get a job there. Workers there are great, but management is absolutely PUTRID! Even for closing, the shifts wouldn’t end on the designated time, for example if you had a shift for 10-6:30, you’d be out at 7, or even 7:30. Awful management and a bunch of clowns who think they are amazing. They give you a list of 10 things to do and expect you to do it all by yourself Goodluck!
Pros
Cons
Everything that had to do with Terra
Great learning experience and fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 July 2018
Every day was consistent, you go in knowing what to do and hardly a dull moment. Watering, dead heading plants, unpacking shipments, organizing and setting up the store and its layout. Working with a great knowledgeable team that makes you feel comfortable and welcomed. You learn a lot very quickly from everyone, which makes you able to answer any customers questions. The hardest part of the job was the slow days when there wasn't many customers or shipments to unload so there wasn't much to do. Personally I really enjoyed that there was work to do, unloading trolleys was one of my favorite parts.
Good To Work for
Greenhouse Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 July 2018
Terra is a good place to work. Lots of fun. Management is lacking a bit and there needs to be more communication between managers. Salary is a bit on the low side.
greenhouse production
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2018
Had to do general labour such as laying down pots, hanging plants, moving them from different bays depending on the type of plant.
either each daily task is different or the same.
management and employees are not the greatest, wouldn't recommend.
Pros
being active
Cons
mangament
Horrible place to work and awful management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON9 April 2018
Only good thing about this job is the money that you make and some of the people you work with. Horrible management, unorganised, managers tell you to do one thing and then get mad and say you should be doing something totally different. Must work holidays, get no days off. Do not work here unless you want the management to scream at you and call you stupid every day. Watch out!!!!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, 14$ an hour for hard labour, Bad Management.
Terrible unorganized place to work
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 February 2018
Managament are terrible. Never know what’s going on and always tell us one thing and do the other. The place is extremely unorganized. There is very little room for advancement.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, rude management, little advancement
Employees are friendly, management unorganized.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterdown25 August 2017
Worked on cash, shown how to cash out once, running reports etc once and expected to remember. No process written down or at least I wasn't shown. Management very unorganized and do not like to be told something is wrong. All employees treated as seasonal on minimum wage. Have to purchase own equipment and clothing. $30 shirt and $100 CSA boots (and that cheap) gloves etc. Only given 30 min lunch so must brown bag as no stores close enough to visit in this time, however not enough room in fridge to keep food cool and no air conditioning in staff room. Basically want everything from employees and give nothing back but min wage.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Work schedule not published until Friday for following week
Great people but awful management!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON17 July 2017
Most of your coworkers are great and as people the managers are good but the way Terra is run is just awful. You do not know how many hours you are going to get week to week, they let you go without any warning and they consider you seasonal no matter how long you have worked there. Since you are always considered seasonal you will never get benefits and you will never work enough hours to get a raise. The managers talk about employees badly in front of other employees and they bad mouth you behind your back. Sometimes they won't allow you to take all of your breaks (including your legally owed lunch) even on a 10 hour shift.

I would avoid applying here unless you are VERY desperate. I ignored the reviews and here I am now.

Most of the time they are flexible with your time off requests. During the approx. 2 months that the Vaughan store is closed they "lay you off" and give you the proper forms to collect EI.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Terra Greenhouses is very poorly run.
Great time
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON10 April 2017
People were ok to work with but still a fun experience
The job is mostly all teamwork lifting due to Christmas tree shopping. Really good season there
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Heavy lifting
Great summer job
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON4 February 2017
Fun environment, and amazing staff. Id suggest this job to students and for a summer job. You learn lots, and work very hard. Unfortunetly it is terrible pay for the amount of responsibilities you have, and no guaranteed hours.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON25 January 2017
Selling plants mostly. I learned to communicate effectively with customers. Managers are friendly and helpful. The workplace culture is lighthearted and welcoming. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the overtime is 2 or more hours. Best part of the job are the people there.
Pros
Great people
decent hours
pond specialist (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON31 March 2016
at first there were good hours then they started to slack off on them. good for a kid but wold never pay the cost of living. interesting enviroment though.
Good for young people looking for a short term job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 February 2016
Not a well managed company, they can't make up their collective minds on anything! If they make a mistake it doesn't matter but if one of the workers make a mistake its the end of the world. Good place for kids moving on to college or high school. Not a good place for anyone trying to make a living.
Pros
Filtered drinking water
Cons
Long hours, unorganized
friendly staff and customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 January 2016
laidback environment and easy to get along with everyone. I feel i wasnt able to grow at the company as i was going back to school
Wonderful place to work and shop!
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ontario6 November 2014
TERRA truly believed in inspiring employees to explore their career opportunities and empowering them productively grow.

The senior leadership team is terrific and forward thinking.
Accommodating and personable staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Milton29 October 2014
Terra Greenhouses is a fun, energetic place to work. The management is personable and accommodating for individual needs. The team works hard and most importantly, enjoys their work which makes the customer experience at Terra positive and enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Terra Greenhouses Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8