Terra Greenhouses Ltd

Terra Greenhouses Ltd Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
I received no training on topics which was essential to my work in assisting customers. Days were very long at the start of the season, but quickly shortened until I was cut. Different management said different things. I was told I wouldn't be fired, but then I was shortly thereafter let go. Kind of splitting hairs. Even though upper employees talked all through work instead of working and did tasks incorrectly I was told they would not be let go because of seniority.
The company seems great at first, however there is way too much work for minimum wage the training is awful, and you are expected to know things with no experience. On the first day more than one person got in trouble for doing something wrong, without being told the correct way to complete the task. It seems this company hires young people with no experience, expecting them to do extreme manual labour for no money on top of that you are asked to do overtime without being compensated as part of the job please also be aware that no employee protection is offered, even tho there are many on the job elements that are unsafe especially without gloves! already know the job
Pros
Hiring was easy, most employees seemed nice
Cons
Not enough money, too much work, improper PPE, bad training
The work is easy but you'll never be able to keep the crazed and exhausting pace. Management does nothing but yell and scream at you for any mistake made or if you're too slow. I was publicly shamed, bullied, belittled and put down on several occasions. There are too many supervisors and due to this fact several times contradictory instructions are given and mistakes were made for which the employees were blamed
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Management are bullies
Was scheduled for shifts that were 15 minutes short of a break and then told that I needed to stay 30-45 minutes extra every shift and was yelled at if I tried to leave. The managers dont communicate, your manager will tell you to do something and then other managers will come up to you and tell at you for for doing that. Overall a horrible place to work.
Pros
At least they pay you.
Cons
Everything else.
Management is awful from top to bottom. They promise advancement, let you work for the role and then they hire other people or change the title of the position so there is no advancement. Pay is atrocious. Not enough to live on. Not a great job for a summer student either, they will use them for a month and let them go with less than a week warning. Hardest part of the job is dealing with management and unfriendly head office staff. Head office needs to take a close look at who is keeping their company afloat day to day and pay accordingly. Management pay is sad.
Pros
People you meet and work with
Cons
Everything else
In light of COVID, Terra has hid behind the labour rules of hiring a certain amount of employees, in order to get more benefits from the government. Be careful if you do get a job there, they’ll hire you for their busy month- saying you’re there for the summer but then fire you once the busy season is over. An absolutely disgusting way of managing a business. You’re dealing with people. Not robots.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Everything about Terra.
I enjoyed my time working at Terra as a seasonal employee. They provided training and they provided me with all the necessary training required to fulfill my job.
Wow what an amazing place to work and learn, from top management to individual department managers. I was told exactly what to expect from the start, from job expectation to end of season lay off. This was seasonal with lay off at the end of the season. This was never kept a secret so never came as a shock when it did happen. On the job through training daily and staff and team safety was always #! Learned life skills. Anytime I needed anything no matter the area in any department I was always guided to help me complete the job at hand. All the staff and my manager AMAZING!!!! Open door policy and great leaders! Team players and positive upbeat atmosphere everyday.
This is not a place I would recommend to my friends. Sorry for sounding harsh but management is really bad. District manager needs people skills and it’s jjst really stressfull. Way underpaid and under staffed. Hire you and then don’t give you hours.
I worked at Terra for a month. I enjoyed the employees I worked with, however, the management team has no understanding whatsoever. I asked for reduced hours due to going back to school and in response, they requested I resign. They have no understanding of students whatsoever.

I also had to pay for uniform boots and shirts. Which was over $100, this is ridiculous. You also do not get the hours promised, and sometimes end up staying an hour over closing. If you need time off, they are not accommodating at all. In the interview, they say they are understanding of this but in reality, are not.

Do yourself a favour, find a better job, and considering the pay it is not worth all this.
I worked at Terra for a winter in the Christmas tree department. It was a busy time of year for them and I was still in school, but I still wasn't able to find many hours or shifts working there. I suffered an injury while at work to my muscles and they took me off the schedule for two weeks instead of finding me something else to do. Overall everyone was pleasant and the managers were informative but I couldn't see myself wanting to work there for extended periods of time.
When I started working at TERRA Waterdown as a shipping and recieving employee the first thing I loved was how friendly everyone was and how descriptive the training was. I learned many things at Terra and it helped me understand how to be a better employee. The only thing I did not like was that the job was seasonal although this allowed me to obtain more work experiance. I would definatly reccomend working at TERRA to someone new looking for a great work experiance!
I started out as a part time worker while I was going through university. Working at Terra coincided with my educational background, so I was able to gain experience while having a great time interacting with like-minded people. After I graduated, I started full time, where I was promoted to an assistant manager position. I recently left for another opportunity, but for the 5 years I was with them I had a wonderful work experience.
I had a very great experience working at Terra Greenhouses as a seasonal Sales Associate for the past three summers. As a university student, it was a great opportunity to save money for school, gain experience in the horticulture and retail industry, and build valuable communication and customer service skills that are transferable to any future career. Although hours do get cut back just before school starts again, you work a lot of hours during the peak season.
Additionally, Terra is a great environment to work in. The staff is welcoming and management is very supportive. If you ever need any help answering customers' gardening questions, the management and senior staff are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Terra's teamwork environment meant that everyone cooperated and assisted each other.

All in all, I would highly recommend Terra Hamilton for any students looking for a part-time or seasonal position.
After a few years at Terra I am leaving with lots of wonderful memories and an awesome experience there! Everyone at Terra including management is welcoming, encouraging, and always there to help each other out! Team work is a big part of the job, and it has been a wonderful experience where I learned a lot of new skills to take with me in the future!
Horrible place to work, all the negative reviews are 100% true, do yourself a favour and listen to them unlike me unfortunatly. They straight up lie through their teeth telling everyone they will be full time or even permanent but then firing them without reason very abruptly before their benefits kick in. You barely have enough time to pay off all the expenses from the uniform. They will use you and then toss you to the side. DO NOT WORK HERE. do yourself a favour.
Pros
working with plants
Cons
everything else
Fun workplace. Typically watered plants and assisted customers.
A terrible place to work! The store manager has absolutely no consideration for her employees. They will hire you for one job and expect you to do another. They will tell you what hours you will be working and then change them without any notice. The store manager has no people skills whatsoever and should really consider working somewhere where she doesnt have to deal with people
My Son was part of the group of "summer hires" let go at the end of May/early June. If this is a yearly tactic to cover off the May season, then shame of you! As indicated in other reviews, one must make an initial purchase of a Company shirt and, in our case, a pair of safety work boots, prior to first shift.
So far my employment in terra has been very disappointing. When I was hired as a seasonal cashier, I was promised full time hours until the end of summer, and unfortunately that has not been the case. By the end of May, mine and almost everyone’s shifts in my department were cut down to 10-20 hours a week. In many other departments, the seasonal workers who were promised full time summer hours, were being laid off entirely. I later found out that terra does this every year in order to hire enough student for the month of May.
I also found this unfair because Terra requires you to purchase a $35 uniform shirt, and expensive (on average $100) steel toe shoes.

Management is also unorganized there. As a cashier I have had to stay 2 hours past close on multiple occasions due to the disorganization of my mangers and the stores polices. Also, I have come to realize that corporate has little consideration towards there employees. Many problems throughout the store that employees have complained about for many years have yet to be fixed. Management is aware of these problems, but would rather try and make the store “look good” than to take employees into consideration.

Overall, Terra has been one of the worst jobs I have had so far, and I will not be working there again next summer.
Got this job as soon as uni ended and was promised full-time work until the beginning of August but they unexpectedly laid me off at the end of May! I wasn't even employed there for a full month. I later found out through a family friend that works with Terra that this is what the company does. They hire college/university students, promise steady work until August and then lay-off most of the seasonal employees at the beginning of June.

Before your first shift, they require you to purchase gardening gloves, their $35 work shirts (which fit small) and $100+ steel toe work boots. None of which was compensated for when I left after barely a month of employment. The breakroom was always crowded with people and the fridge would never close properly due to it being stuffed with everyone's lunches. Additionally, they only had two bathrooms in the building that were never available seeing as none were employee's only. While the sales associates always got their required breaks and lunches I know that the cashiers would work 9+ hours and only receive their unpaid lunch.

The work was physically demanding but not very difficult, and they did expect you to know everything once hired with little to no training on their end. In the brief time that I was there, they could barely give me full-time hours, some weeks I had less than 3 shifts. You are also required to stay late somedays, after your scheduled shift (+30mins), in order to close the store since they are so unorganized. While most of the employees were fun to work with and very nice that does not cover the fact that management
 - more...
Pros
You can meet some great people
Cons
Very very unreliable