TELUS Spark Science Centre

TELUS Spark Science Centre Reviews: Working at TELUS Spark Science Centre

Canada26 reviews

Fun and kind workplace

Spark is a very kind and fun work environment. As it’s a creative workplace the pace of work can be very fast so people do need to know this. Projects and work can change very fast. Overall great place to work and I would recommend.

Pros

Fun and kind work environment

Cons

The rapid pace can be challenging at times

28 March 2022
Thank You for your review and we are so glad you love working for Spark. We will take your honest and constructive feedback on board to improve at Spark

Productive and fun place to work with great and awesome supervisor and management.

I'm a Jack of all trades in my position as Tech. My supervisor and management are awesome. A good place to work with very nice co-worker around. High work ethics and very professional and you feel like a one family working together in a common goal.

21 March 2022
Thank You for your review. We are so glad you love working at Spark and are proud to be a Sparkler.

Insights into TELUS Spark Science Centre

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Fair pay for job

Good place to build communication skills

TELUS Spark is a fast-paced workplace. If you like interacting with people and learning about science, you might be excited to work here. Very neat and clean. It's a good place to improve your communication skills but you'll get stuck if you are not familiar with science. Managers were more interested in updating displays and selling products than creating a healthy atmosphere at FOH. Low salaries.

Pros

You're learning every day

Cons

Pay

23 March 2022
Thank You so much for your review. We are so glad you liked working Spark. We will 100% take your honest and constructive feedback on board to improve at Spark.

friendly enviorment

during my time at Telus I definitely enjoyed the ambiance and the security. everyone there was really nice and fun while the security made me feel safe. I really enjoyed the cleanliness and the opportunities there at Telus spark.

21 March 2022
Thank You for your review and we are so glad you loved working at Spark. I hope you have come back to be a Camp leader each summer.

The pay is not worth it

It’s a god place to work but the pay is really low . It can be fast paced, depending on the number of school kids around. It’s a fun place to work honestly and a lot of advancement opportunities if u have a degree or experience. But if you don’t your stuck on the pay without raise.

Lack of communication

Severe lack of communication among departments. This problem is being addressed by the new CEO and will hopefully get better

Pros

Fun

Cons

Lack of Communication

Science at the kid's language

A typical day at work includes following the scheduled activities, receive the kids, play with them and work at the reception of the general public, providing general information regarding available services, points of interest and entertainment attractions and also, recording the tickets of the guests. The workplace culture is multicultural, funny and spends a lot of energy as possible. The management was clear and flexible as well. I learned to be careful all the time, play a lot, pay attention and get much responsibility as well.

Pros

Helping people, playing with children, developing the creative feeling

Cons

Temporary job

Amazing work and remarkable team of employees. Super engaging and enormous skills development

Telus Spark is a vibrant, fluid company that is not stuck in silo mentalities. All departments seek influence and input from all over departments. Employees all take proliferate in stealing shamelessly from others ideas and building upon them . There seems to be inclusiveness and diversity in abundance in hiring philosophies so employees tend to be in that mindset before coming aboard . Amazing melting pot success. Cod be some improvement of recognizing that some age discrimination has taken root. It’s as if looking to the future means only hiring young... without recognizing the experience of that acquired with age. If Spark paid better I believe employees would never leave. It is the dream job of a lifetime. Just saying.... the work is that fun and rewarding!

Pros

Autonomy, independent thinking, trust, engagement

Cons

Pay

Fun workplace

Coworkers are great and the food is good! Hours were awesome and you can never get bored because there's so much to do and explore. Although I was only a volunteer, actual employees would have much more stuff to do.

Pros

Fun times

Cons

nothing

A average day at Telus spark.

While not the highest paying job I ever had. It was one of the most regular I have ever done. Everyday you would do the same tasks in the same order, only being switched up when someone was sick or there was a special event. The other staff were all very friendly regardless of what department they work in. And the ever updating exhibits did make for interesting diversions from time to time. The thing I miss most is regular weekends.

Relaxed atmosphere

Relaxed working atmosphere. Staff are eager to help out when needed, and have a smile on their face. Marketing department was well organized, and structured.

Great workplace

Great place to work and have fun. To play and visit even on a day off. Volunteers are amazing. Membership with employment or volunteering positions. Lots to see and learn.

Unparalleled positive culture!

The culture is incredible. There is openness and trust within the workplace, and creativity flows freely. It changed the way I view success and failure and freed me to move forward in my career with confidence and support behind me.

Fun place with diverse culture in the world of science

Everyone is welcoming and day starts with the cheers and curiosity of children and their family. I learned and attained valuable interpersonal skills.

Pros

surrounded by and play with cool science equipments in the galleries

Cons

no free lunch

Feels like you work for google

This place is engagingl, inspiring, respectful and organized. Communication between faculties and departments are thorough and thoughtful. To work at Telus Spark is to do meaningful work.

Good place to build skills and gain experience

Depending on your role, there can be lots of time commitment outside of regular business hours. Good place for keen, eager people looking to gain new skills and take on new challenges.

Pros

Fun work environment

Cons

Low salaries

Fast paced, fun, positive energy

The Telus event was really fun, It was opportunity I got from school, I was able to work at the makeup booth and do different drawn on makeup effects. there was person after person in line and was super crazy! it was over all a good experience, the staff was super helpful and willing with helping us set up and making sure we had everything we needed

Pros

attend the event

Cons

An over all fun and inviting workplace, with friendly and helpful co-workers.

It is unfortunate that a few bad apples can ruin an otherwise good job. But my supervisor was disorganized and very much lacking and the manager in Charge was non-extant at the best of times. I was let go without so much as a written warning, I would have liked to known what if anything I was doing wrong so I could improve in future. But sadly they just let me go without a second thought.

Pros

Heath benefits.

Cons

Disorganization management.

Fun and friendly workplace

Telus Spark is a fun place to work, and was very accommodating to my school schedule. My coworkers are friendly and considerate and put a high importance on Guest Service.

Pros

Very accommodating to schedule

Cons

Advancement was a challenge

Productive fun workplace

Facilitate visitors in science, technology and art based experiences, including gallery and exhibit interpretation, and leading inquiry and skills- based activities or programs

A deeply troubled organization

The organization went through a big change in direction in 2011. It was previously regarded by community with fondness and affection and were hoping for a bright, optimistic place for informal learning. In its new form it has become an organization that has developed a patronizing, elitist attitude towards its customers. How can you trust a science centre that doesn't even have the word "science" or "learning" in it's mission statement? The result has been a disillusioned staff that tries to sell a "museum" to calgarians who react with either indifference or displeasure.

Pros

excellent support staff

Cons

leadership is disconnected with what public really wants and needs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TELUS Spark Science Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement