TELUS Communications logo
TELUS Communications

TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Found 1,714 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,775 reviews

Good place to work and grow

I was with the company for nearly 15 years. It afforded me a lot of opportunity and room to grow and learn. I can only speak to non-union roles, but the pay is bit on the lower side generally speaking, but benefits are fairly significant. Between year end bonus, health benefits, and various service discounts you can likely add another ~8k to salary. Lots of focus on development and training (at least in the areas I was in). The culture was generally very positive and a huge increase in focus on mental health over the past few years. Toxic management is generally weeded out in one way or another. In 15 years I think I only interacted with a small handful of less than desirable management/executives who were never with the company for terribly long.

Pros

Positive culture, Focus on growth, generally great management

Cons

Generally lower payscale

Used to be great but not that much now...

I worked at TELUS for 14 years and at the beginning, it was a really nice place to work. But 6 years ago, everything fell apart. First, they closed an entire IT department to transfer the jobs to Philippines. After that, our department was transferred to another one that was totally unrelated to our work! Finally, when a person left or retired, they were not replaced. The workload was increasing but there was no additional hiring. The bosses always wanted more with less. We needed to do overtime and after business hours to be able to deliver. We also had to be on call! I had enough and I left. It was the best decision ever!! TELUS just doesn't care about your life or family.

Cons

Overtime, more with less, doesn't care about your life

sans ambiance

j'Ă©tait sur de pouvoir Ă©voluer mais non simplement caller

Pros

plaza st-hubert

Cons

pas de chance d'Ă©voluer

Horrible Employer..run away ..!

Middle to Senior management have no interest in improving the organization. The only thing they concern themselves with is whether you stroke their ego's or give the proper respect due their "title" even the individual does nothing to earn that respect. Advancement's and rewards seemed to be strongly based on favoritism and outsiders and their backgrounds are made to feel unwelcome.

Pros

Cons

Swing a cat...too many to list

Great company to work for and grow. Enjoyed working at Telus until a headhunter contacted me and offered a great opportunity I could not refuse. All the best to you

Do not recommend

I definitely would not recommend this job to others. You're hired as a part-time agent and it takes years until you're actually given full-time status. They have incredibly difficult and unrealistic metrics that they require you to meet. Management is monitoring everything that you do and even if you're meeting performance metrics, they still will ask for more from you. They really don't seem to care about you, you're simply a number and can easily be replaced. The calls are very stressful as the majority of people you'll speak with are typically irate about their bill, issues with their services, or the wait times for calling in. Scheduling doesn't offer much for work life balance, so you'll have to work frequent late shifts and weekends. The only positive things that I have to say are that the benefits are good, pay is decent, and there are a lot of great co-workers.

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay

Cons

Everything else

how does company handle new employee

there is onboarding process for new employee, which is super at least company considers its important new employee workspace is looked after at start of this critical junction of the new employee interaction with his boss, peers and go to.good support from peers to get help on the job taskswork areas interest to me and can provide new works within the company

Pros

Wfh

Cons

long hours and night shift

bonne compagnie

paye bien. bon bonus. bon salaire. bon vacances mais beaucoup de stress.

Pros

bon salaire

Cons

tu n'est qu'un numéro.

Terrible

They don’t appreciate the work you do. All jobs not in Ontario. Treat you poorly. Management is poor. Everyone is annoyed of the job know. Let people go now for ridiculous reason. Offering packages hoping you will go. Work 8 hours a day to meet metrics and continuous changing things. You have to send bogus surveys to client and be rated. Everyone is just waiting out for better packages.

Pression Ă©norme

Le travail se fait par télétravail et la direction donne beaucoup beaucoup de pression sur les statistiques de performance. Un appel après l'autre sans arrêt, 90 secondes pour finir la prise de notes et formulaire entre chaque appel etc. Vous êtes surveiller à la seconde. Si vous quitter en pause à 15h17, vous avez intérêt à revenir à 15h32... pas 15h33 ni 15h31. Si vous avez envi d'aller au toilette, les boss vous répondres que les pauses sont fait pour ca et si vous avez envi entre temps, c'est interdit. Ambiance très désagréable, nous prennent pour des robots et n'ont pas de coeur avec leur employé.

Pros

Bon salaire

Cons

Direction sans coeur, pression Ă©norme, surveillance accru de chaque fait et geste, Ă  part le salaire tout est pourri et corrompu

Jobs at TELUS Communications

See more jobs

Unrealistic KPIs

There unrealistic KPIs are a big disappointment. They want you to keep customers happy but do not give you the tools or resources to do so. Thier KPIs are unrealistic, and very messed up. If you have to take stress on each call, welcome to the club.

Job was good people were friendly pay was horrible dont work their if you need money now

Pay was not good at all it could take you a whole month before you make a sale and get paid only 30 dollars for it over all people were kind the money just wasn't there until you got further in the work

Great place to work...

It was a great place to work, and very competitive at times. But any sales rep loves that.. incentives were great and commissions fair...I would recommend it to anyone looking for an entry job into the sales world... It a great stepping stone for most.

Pros

Discounted vell phone plan and cell phone.

Cons

Customer's sometimes hard on you

Don’t care about anything other than wasting resources and time as well as sales if you sell your safe if you don’t your public enemy

As per union repI’ve seen TELUS go from bad to worse to disaster one of the most toxic employers to work for. You have no job security if you are not making your manger money from sales commissions and upgrading customers. I felt like I was working for a pimp.

Great place to work but not competitive pay

Telus is focus on work life balance. It's a place where they do care about this value. The opportunity cost is that salary is not very competitive. I guess the trade off is that if you want top dollars then you will have to work on high stress job. I would recommend working at Telus if you want a relax family friendly environment but salary might but be as competitive. (This could have been specific to my department /group)

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Not competitive pay

Doesn't know what they are doing

The company is a bureaucratic nightmare and when you have an issue don't expect help, contact HR and see if anyone gets back to you or figure it out through their internal websites. Management is only out for their own jobs, they don't care about front-line staff and they understand staff will either be soon replaced, quit, be fired, or burn out so there is no effort made to keep them. The work from home during Covid is a mess, equipment is low end and does not do the job. My advice if you get a job, buy your own headset, keyboard and mouse because what they send is junk. Consider why they are always hiring, even now when no one is, must be people leaving due to the stress or why leave a job when few are out there? If there were more jobs in the market I would be looking for a way out. Worst decision I ever made to work here

Pros

Cons

stress, unknown policies, terrible internal communication despite this being a telecom, the amount of self-congratulations they give themselves for their business is nauseating

Good place to work but Customers made it not worth it

I enjoyed working there, mainly worked from home so I was in charge of my own progress and work! Only issue was the customers and how they treat you. There is a certain level of expectation that is given and must be met which can be hard when customers are set on things going their way never mind policy.

Pros

Overtime!

Cons

Hostile Customers

Telus doesn't have work anymore.

Telus communication doesn't have a jobs for technician. Now their sales team is not performing so, telus wants technicians to do sales in customer homes. After covid new policies are in place and rules are very very strict. There are 10 matrix like gps arrival ( on time cx home), kit test ( cx service check), insider test( go to cx all the rooms and check for signal level in covid), they say "mention in commeents if you why you didn't run that test". When test fail your matrix goes down and theu kick you out of company and you can't come back. It was very stressful when they had work but now they don't so, we are not getting paid.... please don't take jobs.

Pros

You loose weight because of stress.

Cons

They bother you on weekends too, You have to answer your emails and call, If cx complaints you get echo but if cx writes a good review they don't care.

Culture is good on paper, terrible in practice

I worked at TELUS a bit over 9 years before I had enough of how this business was running. The company presents itself as the best paying company and amongst the top 10 employers in Canada. There are definitely good managers here who care about their people, but they also work with limited resources and monstrous workloads. I kept hearing “We need to do more with less”, and my responsibilities kept growing I was working 12 hours a day and doing the work of 3:people. I went through 3 major reorganizations in 9 years; this is a very instable ground for a career. I saw talented people being packaged for a so called “efficiency” measure while the company results were actually good versus their competitors. I thought working for the “health” department would offer me outstanding benefits. Shortly after I joined this company, the benefits dropped and worsened every year. Call centres employees sounded like getting way more benefits than professional management employees. I went through salary freezes, budget cuts, shameful bonuses cuts... It was just awful!Back to the “culture”; there’s this employees yearly satisfaction survey that apparently determines the employees engagement level. This survey is a big joke. First it becomes a competition between directors and above on who’s team will have a better score. Second, you are told in plain language that there will be consequences if you don’t have a good score. This survey and how it is done brings all the values of this business down the drain.I really had enough of it all and went to their competitor. It was the -

Pros

Talented people and good support from immediate management

Cons

Expensive poor benefits, awful worklife balance due to workloads, and culture that may need to be rebuilt

Don't work as a contractor for TELUS

Contractors almost never get converted to full time employees. They will keep getting you to sign 1 year contracts - sometimes up to 10 years. They don't care about their contractors. As far as they are concerned, you are a just a number. They won't recognize your accomplishments or allow you to participate in the employment survey. You're lucky if they email you about important health information - like COVID19. They are so disorganized that projects last forever and results in really bad crunch crisis. Good luck having a life at TELUS

Pros

Not much.

Cons

Long hours, uncaring leadership, no mental health or work life balance support

A comfortable work environment in the day.

A good work environment, where I learned the telecom trade. In the day, sponsored apprenticeship, good work culture and training. If I had to do it again, I would.

Pros

Professional, safety concious, development.

Cons

Pay rate....negotiating wage increases

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TELUS Communications. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement