Telesat

Telesat Employee Reviews

Canada10 reviews
Interesting place to work.
It was a challenging place to work. I had to learn networking and RF. As well as doing basic maintenance on switchgear and dehydrators. There was no real room for advancement for a tech.
New management has killed morale
Poor salaries which results in new hires are not well qualified. Large number of employees are reaching retirement and therefore are losing knowledge base.
Pros
Cons
bad management
Very customer focussed
Extremely dedicated staff. Leading edge communications technology. Overall a fun place to work. Management team at most levels very focussed on overall objectives
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Short staffed in some key areas
Space Industry Experience
Working on the ANIK C satellite system as a satellite payload engineer gave me great software programming experience. Specifically working on Satellite wave tube technology, the central system in the satellite
Pros
Free viewing of Shuttle launch at the Cape
Poor pay-off per contribution
Management not cooperative with staff leading to confusions and potential risk. Good skills and knowledge on my part avoided a lot of embarrassment, as outages for the entire network when a baseball game was being covered
Pros
Qualified work exlperience
Cons
Unusual and unpredictable hours
Wonderful Company, great team and all around a great place to work. The people are friendly and the management team is very hard working.
A fun day with team work and great people
At TD, you walk in to colleagues smiling all over and fun and memorable work days. I learned how to work as a team with my team members and give legendary customer service with some being memorable. I had and still have the opportunity of meeting great people such as our management team that is there when you need them to be and co workers that will make your time at work worthwhile. The hardest part of the job, I would say is not being able to give a customer what they want, but the best part is knowing that you tried your best. This job in so many ways is a blessing to have. Great people, a good salary and amazing benefits.
Nice to work for this company
• Met the month end deadlines; prepared adjustment entries and general ledger reconciliations.
• Posted the journal entry batches created by AP and AR Clerks.

• Responsible for the intercompany consolidations for Telesat group of companies (25 companies).

• Reconciled the intercompany balances monthly basis and prepared intercompany journal entries in multiple currencies.

• Analysed and prepared variance reports comparing the budget to actual and prior periods for senior management’s decision making purpose.

• Ensured the revenue accounting activities are compliance to SOX guidelines to meet the internal control requirements.

• Recognised revenue for the new projects using IFRS and prepared revenue adjustment schedules.

• Prepared embedded derivative schedules for US GAAP reconciliations & CRTC/USF levy reports.
Good Experiance
• Prepared variance reports comparing to budgets and prior periods and analysed the revenue by product and sale group for senior management decision making purpose.
• Prepared consolidated financial statements for Telesat Group of companies.

• Performed the month end duties; prepared adjustment entries and general ledger reconciliations.

• Recognised revenue for new projects using IFRS and prepared deferred revenue schedules to straight line the revenue.

• Prepared and filled CRTC levy reports and recoded the levy expenses in the financial statements.

• Prepared embedded derivative schedules for US GAAP reconciliations.

• Successfully managed the transition in to the role with minimal training.
Telesat Employee for 12 years
When I first started working at Telesat it was great, all kinds of benefits, they were actually paying for my university degree at one time. They the company was sold to investors, which has really lowered the moral at this company. There is no longer an promotions or advancement, benefits have been cut back. However Telesat still does offer a pension and RRSP matching, so there are still a few good things left at this company, however I don't see myself going anywhere within this structure, it makes me sad because the company does have a lot of interesting components. It's unfortunate that they have no policies in place for training or advancement within the company.