Teck Resources

Teck Resources Employee Reviews

I worked for Teck at Line Creek Mine, and it was the best job I ever had. I had top leave due to family reasons, but hope to return one day. Great people and management
Pros
4 on 4 off the money
Cons
2 days 2 nights is a bit tough
management is not good. They micro manage everything. I am in the training department, I took all kinds of training with computers power points, I have always kept up with technology , yet Management makes all the decisions. most of the time wrong, they don't listen. They always want to cut labour costs and safety is a big issue. They move employees in to positions. with-out proper training , then when someone gets hurt or a major environmental hazard they make the worker responsible.The pay and benefits are ok just remember to keep your head up.They really don't care about you they just want production..
Pros
not bad pay and benefits
Cons
They don' care about your safety
Any job at Teck Resources pays well for the industry.Depending on your management team, you may be treated fairly or become burned out. It's 50/50. Assume they will push you hard to earn every dollar they pay you.Work/life balance is all talk.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Little to no work/life balance
This company is horrific in every way, nothing compared to the Alberta TarSands respectful companies. Name calling over the radio, laughed upon instead support. Supervisors have zero respect, they set the example for their peers. Demanding, rushed, disregard for safety, rude, take short cuts, shovel operators rush you so they can get their numbers up, dozer operators don’t pay attention when close to the edge - not focused on the task at hand, again no safety. If you want a reputable safe mannered employer when being a heavy hauler - stay in Northern Alberta.
Pros
Non
Cons
Management, shift, disregard to safety, minimal training, rushed at all times
Negative experiences Not given the outcome of the interview till following upGames played with offer: offered made at 5pm on a Friday with response required by 9am the following Monday- no ability to negotiate Competitive and political workplace cultureSelf promotion and relationships key to success over ability Nepotism and favouritism galore Management can tell you what you want to hear to smooth things over rather than being direct Hard to gain continual year-round employmentDisposable when budgets changePositive experiencesGreat work experience with a company that has large budgets and a good safety culture- learn how to do things well on established development projectsExcellent facilities on mine sites and at the officeMixture of office and field work
Working at Teck was good, I learned a lot, I ran different equipment, eventually got my blaster ticket, loved being a blaster, the weather in the mountains was the worst part, it could be plus 20 in the morning and go down to minus 5 in the afternoon with snow, management was fare, safety was the main goal, met lots of people, made friends for life, too bad the mine shut down, I would still be there!
Pros
4 on 4 off
Cons
12 hour day plus travel, still ok.
Loved working here. pay is good, benefits are good. Loved the 2days, 2 nights- 4 days off schedule. It can take 2 to 4 years to get enough seniority to start bidding on equipment other than haul truck ( for operations). busy place and sometimes you feel under the gun as the mine is camera monitored and many facets of your equipment are electronically monitored.
Pros
good money and benefits--- 4 0n 4 off
Cons
Long days shift work
I worked in TDS as a Computer Science Coop and had a tremendous experience. Over the course of my work term, our team encouraged me to became more than just another Coop, offering increasingly difficult technical tasks. The team offered support when needed and encouraged everyone to challenge themselves. I was consistently challenged in my role, which led to rapid growth in my skill-set and confidence as a Software Developer. Along the way, I made great relationships with tremendous people which led to a full-time position within 3 months of finishing the Coop. If you're seeking an employer that challenges and trusts you to do your job, Teck is a fantastic choice.
Pros
Collaborative Teams, Challenging Work, Trusting Supervisors
+ Work life balance is good plus vacation time – Certain job roles very underpaid + pretty good perks/benefits– poor moral and management+ job security / big company with opportunities— production over safety+ alot of great coworkers— many people overworked— hard to find shift accommodation, no camp
The job itself is good , fulfilling , but the constant staff shortage in the warehouse can cause anxiety and pressure between employees . Working with different departments shows you the different aspects of mining .
Pros
Good benefits and wages
Cons
Unknowledgeable senior staff, favouritism, busing headaches
Poorly managed, managers are bullies that promote supervisors that are yes people, leadhands are mostly rats that tattletale on fellow workers, to get promoted. Mine manager has no clue of what is going on . This company use to be a good place to work. Leadership has changed and now it is not so. Arrogance is on the menu everyday at teck. They hire anyone now ,quality of technician as really gone down
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Close to home
The treatment from my senior foreman and pit control was so bad that the human rights tribunal of Canada was involved. Horrible place for women. I was treated unfairly at every turn and told to go home and have more babies, because that’s all I was good for. This company is trash. Plus they do all sorts of environmentally illegal things and aren’t safe. If you want to move up, by all means sleep with your superiors, you can do millions of dollars in damages, nearly kill someone and still keep your job. Take s abuse for months, finally talk to hr and you’re fired the next week.
Pros
Good pay
I am current employee in engineering. I am blown by company willingness to adopt technology in this hard times. Way to go Teck. Transfer are easy. I got changed to work on different projects, that have a very good learning that i would use for life.
Pros
Good management
Teck was a very good And safe place to work. Safety was a priority in all aspects of the mine. The environmental was on top priority Of the land, including bugs to birds and anything larger.
Pros
Coats
Cons
Rain
I loved working for Teck and would go back in a heartbeat. I recommend this company to anyone who is wanting to get into mining business. I will continue to reapply, I would never have left if it wasn't for covid causing my job loss.
The job pays well but isn’t worth the unhealthy environment & high risk situations. Air quality is high in silica and in my opinion is not worth the risk.
Pros
Money
Cons
Health
I am not to sure if it is Just a Line Creeks ordeal or if all mine sites are ran this poorly. It is an unhealthy environment where the company pretends to care about safety. When in reality, production is their top priority over employees Heath and wellness. Almost everyone that was on my crew hates their jobs. It’s very poorly ran, and I don’t understand how there are not more fatalities that occur. If you hurt your self at work, you’re forced to stay because they don’t want a loss time incident. By far worst place I have worked.
Pros
Money is Not bad.
Cons
Schedule, management, harassment, Heath concerns, management.
It is a good place to work. There was room for advancement in the company. They have a strong safety program which they believe strongly in. Foremen were approachable and listened to you.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
long travel time
Ihad a phone call interview, got the job worked 10 years till it closed down. We had a good kicthen and food was great The rooms were fear .we also had good ungrounded equipment
Pros
Good benefits week oo week off
Cons
It close down.
every day there was a daily safety meeting I was trained on haul truck and I was trained on the largest equipment I ever ran instruction was very well laid out working a 2 on days and then two nights was a very hard thing for me personally the best thing was to me the security of the job if I was givin the chance I would for sure do it again
Negative, blaming work culture. Few people have a solid grasp of what's really going on. In the 4 months I was there there were 2 injuries that I heard of: one serious. It's an extremely toxic and dangerous place to work if you are in the plants. Not to mention every day you work here you know you are just making one guy very rich and screwing the environment at the same time. (although their environmental practices are some of the best in the industry). The bottom line is: They are paying you for your health. Many 60 yr old at Teck look 85. So if you value your health over money, dont work here. They test regularly for heavy metal in your blood, however we now know these metals accumulate in your bone, causing all kinds of negative health effects.
  1. Employee reviews