Play YouTube video button

Teck Resources Limited Employee Reviews for Truck Driver

Jerked around
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fording River31 March 2019
Just because I was an older single white male I was given the run around in the two years I was there and never missed one day of work. Almost had an apprenticeship but because of my age I was passed on. They told me I had a job in the plant but for some reason my job disappeared and said my job bid wasn’t there???? I applied for serviceman in the shop but again they said I didn’t! Finally got an equipment posting but with the safety first attitude when I called for assistance one day they made it a huge investigation and I ended up back on haul truck as punishment. I was just starting to train on D9 when I quit and went home to get a job that I was appreciated in. Thankful for the experience but sure not an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Good pay, good people, friendly town
Cons
Terrible shift 2days, 2nights pushing safety too much, I mean we are not children!!
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC14 March 2019
Great Company to work for, provides a healthy work place environment and you're home after every shift.

Company is dedicated towards health and safety every day.
Management took great care of the co-workers
Most enjoyable part of the job was the scenery in the mountains as well as great employee's
Great Place to work!
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC21 January 2019
I worked for Teck back in 2010 at their Line Creek Mine. They were a great company to work for, great pay, great benifits. The first 3 months was a little rough cause the pay is low and no overtime, but once you get over the first 3 months you get a significant pay raise and the option for overtime. All the other employees and supervisors were great to work with. The only thing I didn't like was the schedule. It was 2 days, 2 nights, then 4 days off. I could never get used to it and was tired all the time. If it was 4 straight days or 4 straight nights then 4 off I would probably still be there. Other than that it was a great place to work.
Pros
Good Pay, Benefits, Bus to and from work
Cons
Schedule of 2 days 2 nights then 4 days off.
Worse Company I've ever worked for by far!
Former Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparewood, B.C.1 November 2018
Claim they have a good safety culture, that is all lip service. Worst safety culture ever. Tell you to run trucks with brakes failing (all the time).
If you dare speak up, against anything unsafe, kiss your job goodbye.
They make up lies about you to justify anything.
Union tells me I am one of hundreds coming down the mountain with the same story on a regular basis.
Feared for my life daily. Don't know how I lasted 3 months.
Run away from anything in operations as fast as you can.
Management, HR is a joke, Production Super is laughed at by Foremen behind her back, she's powerless to change anything. Roads and trucks badly maintained. Very dangerous (unnessesarily). They just don't care about workers. 50% + turnover says it all.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Everything mentioned below
Alright place to work if you live close
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC27 July 2018
Teck is an alright company to work for. Management needs to treat their employees a little better and not like they are just disposable. Wages are very good and the benefits are good as well. Not a good place to work if you are driving back and forth from a different place. the two days and then two nights schedule the four days off could be changed to benefit the employees and employer. They also say saftey is a big part of the job but it could still be heavily improved and put before production.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Safety doesnt seem to come before production
Lots to learn
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  British Columbia21 July 2018
It's fast paced and things are constantly changing. Either the weather, the haul, the road conditions, the task or the congestion. Always be on your toes
Heavy equipment operator
HAUL TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC15 February 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. 5 yrs of my life I wont get back. They treat you like garbage, your just a number, and its always your fault. If you don't care about how your treated then this is the company to work for.
Haul Truck Operator - CAT 797, Komatsu 830 & 930 (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC21 September 2017
Good place to work, benefits are excellent, offers some perks. Shift is difficult as it is 4 days on 4 days off, consisting of 2 days on 2 nights on 4 off.
overall good place to work
Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC29 June 2017
I've learned many skills in the mining industry. I enjoy the independence of being set on a task and working at achieving the task all day.
I have learned how to be comfortable around very large equipment.
Pros
wages and benefits
Cons
Hard to advance
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC22 March 2017
Very busy place to work, co-workers were fantastic. I enjoyed the overall experience. Saddened by my layoff because my "term" was over. Training department was top notch.
Pros
Training was extensive
Cons
Very quick to dismiss a casual employee
good place to work
Haul truck driver (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC9 January 2017
good place to work, cool people and good benefits with a pretty decent work/home life. there is room for good advancements if your willing to work for it
Equipment trainer
Haul truck driver (Former Employee) –  elk ford5 December 2016
Work life balance was good thoughout the job. Four days on and four off was nice. They provided a steady income. Working nights was the only challange
Pros
work rain or shine
Cons
Night shifts where difficult
Good Wages- Keep workers casual for a long time
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC14 March 2016
Was a haul truck operator at Teck, wages and work schedule are good. living in the valley was great.
Was kept on casual for 9 months without benefits or access to bonus's etc.
Pros
Good wages, 4x4 schedule
Cons
Long hours, not paid for travel
not a bad place to work just not for everyone
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC3 June 2015
they can keep you as a temp for as long as they want which means no benefits and only temp wage which seems like a scam to me.

also no matter how much experience you have you start on haul truck which again isn't bad but to progress you have to bid on jobs and people with more seniority will get preference over you so your usually stuck to haul truck for along time
Pros
good retirerment package
Cons
long temp period
i love to drive
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC29 April 2015
I had run the rejects from the plant for last 3 yrs. u pull under this big bin and pull a chain.the truck fills up with roughly 240 tonnes of waste rock.then I drove to spoil or grader occasionaly. from plant to spoil and back to plant was roughly 35 minutes.I learned to drive all the trucks at mine 930 katmatsu,s 830 katmatsu,s the new CAT trucks the old CAT trucks and the small wiggle wagons.I enjoyed my fellow workers.Hardest part of job was comeing down the mountain in winter on the nyt shift.you really had to stay focused on the changing road condition.Enjoyable part was the driving I love driving :)
Pros
driveing
Cons
cant think of any cons.
Great Job Great place to Work
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC24 April 2015
Love the job but nowhere to live for my family, the company is great, excellent wage and benefits but housing is a HUGE problem if your not single.
Pros
excellent wage and benefits
Cons
No housing
Good training and place to work.Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents(in-laws). Need to be closer to home. No camp .
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC25 October 2014
Good training and place to work. Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents (in-laws). Need to be closer to home.
No camp available.
Pros
Good wages, atmosphere, safety culture and equipment
Cons
4x4 split shift not allowing ability to travel home
Great co-workers
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC3 December 2013
my typical work day starts at our tailgate meeting where I get assigned my 830 haul truck ,and put on all my PPE, then I proceed up the hill to my haul truck to start my pre check on my haul truck. checking all the fluids , parts and for any damage. from there I fill out my FLRA. after all my checks and paperwork is done I am on my way to the shovel to get my first load. after loaded I then proceed to the dump location. where I follow all the proper procedures while at the dump site.
-I learned so much working at tech, just driving an 830 haul truck in a safe productive manner. and being trained on the simulator what do in case of a fire or if you lose your brakes etc.
-the best part of the job was by far my co-workers and all my foreman
-hardest part of the job was driving in the winters down steep roads
-the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my crew
Pros
great foremans
Cons
not enough pay, not stable